Another SolitaireLS, picture loaded.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much time spent on a little bugger it's worth the it however...

parts2.jpg

There's the parts standing proudly waiting to be deployed.

parts3.jpg

100uf Tantalum certainly an overkill, 22uf is more than enough. The coppersink is insulated in the middle with marker pen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Then a layer of themalpaste is added. The metal u-shape is the battery contact.
@#$@ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I just can't picture stuff under warm color light. They just screw up.

soltle0.jpg

Whitelightning without flash. Much better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Half assembled, testing, testing.
The famous zetex circuit design from Mercator's Zetex LS Driver & MiniMag Conversion Information Page too bad it's down now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

soltle1.jpg

Finally finished after many tired nights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, covered in epoxy.
soltle2.jpg

soltle3.jpg

Farkle free! All scraped off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
soltle4.jpg

soltle5.jpg

soltle6.jpg

soltle7.jpg

Notice the sense resistor wire lurking around.
beam.jpg

On the left is my superwhite ARCLSH and the right is the Solitaire LS.
The reflector in the Solitaire collects the spill from the HD and focus it nicely. Notice the wide flood created by the reflector. The Solitaire Luxeon is fed with a current of 130ma and runs for 2hours straight without dimming on a 700mAh NiMH AAA battery.

You have to believe this... I salute LED mods As Small As Possible for his mass production!
[ QUOTE ]
LED mods As Small As Possible said:
After nights and nights of brain-grindingly hard modding...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a tough job to put them together. However, if you need more info, I will be glad to post. The inductor is a b!*ch!

Vince.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!

That is amazing. Two hours runtime and a tight, bright spot? Very, very nice.

I wish I understood electronics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Wilkey

Shadows

Newly Enlightened
WOW
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
Very nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I am always impressed with folks that can work with such small surface mount parts! It is amazing the Solitaire reflector works so well with the LS HD. Great mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really enjoy my Solitaire mod that LEDsASAP made for me. Look further down for his Superbright Luxeon Star Solitaire Mod. I wrote a review with some beamshots.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
you know, its wont be long before two lights on a keychain, One dim and long life, the other bright will cover most all utility needs. then there will just be the tactical light to deal with for the third light. wow.

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Very impressive makes me wish I had the dexterity to do such work. As well as the knowledge, skill etc. etc....

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very, very, very impressed! Sometimes a little OCD can be a good thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for all your encouragements I appreciate it. My actual design didn't work out, but I learned stuff through trail and test, so alot of time wasted. The pill wasn't a beauty I only had a dremel and some hand tools around, I live in a apartment, so don't have much space.

Hotbeam - no, they were not from LEDsASAP. I sourced the 3 zetex semiconductor through another fellow CPF. We bought our parts together at digikey. I think this person is the best I ever met. I don't know if he will mind me mention his name. Thanks RK.

Doug S - what's OCD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I need to get back to my books now. After my exams I will be working on a CR2LS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nukiez said:
Doug S - what's OCD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, a mental health term.
It is a condition that seems to be present in the CPF population to an even greater extent than the general population at large. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Sometimes OCD folks will persist at a task long after others would have given up.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Congratulations, nukiez---That's a good piece of work! I can see your millitary career gave you the persistance and the complusion --- "If other people can do it, I can do it, and I will do it better" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeap it's cool. We all know about boost LT1618, I believe it's Wayne's favourite. However, it requires minimum 1.6volts to operate.

LT1307 works down to minimum 1.0volts. Perfect for 1 cell applications.

Vince.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work. I know how hard it is to work in freeform like that. Congrats

I don't think you can fit the LT1618 into this small a package. The Zetex design using smaller IC footprints allowing it to be packed into a smaller footprint or space.

Has anyone considered doing the Max efficiency mode of the Zetex design. In other words, dump the output diode and capacitor have the inductor dump directly into the LED. This would get rid of the large output capacitor.

Another possibility is to use a very small ceramic output capacitor. While this increases the output ripple current in the LED, it won't be noticed. That will save the SMT 100uF capacitor and reduce that to a 0603 which should help make the module even smaller.

Is anyone making these? I'd like a couple of these...

Wayne

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
You will lose significant amount of brightness when you drop the diode and capacitor. The "maximum efficiency" mode is really just for small "indicator" LED's, not for BIG DADDY Luxeons.

If you want a couple, I've been offering those for sale for quite a while now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif