TK40 or wait?

Wildewinds

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on buying a TK40, but I'm wondering about its longevity. I know there are brighter lights out there (Pilot Whale, M2C4, etc), but I'm liking the AA batteries in the TK40.

Since it's been out for a while, will there be a TK50 soon? Or maybe something else that's better?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
the world of flashlights is just like any other technology, theres allways something better coming around the corner. allthough i will add that if your going to spend well over 100 bucks for a light, make sure your not going to put the cheapest batteries you can find in it.

jahxman

Enlightened
I love my TK40 - for throw with a multi-die light, it is the best I have. Also no donut hole - the TK40 reflector does a really good job of projecting a bright hotspot very far, and also lots of wide-angle spill nearby.

I have an Ultrafire RL-2088 (Osram 6-die) which has more floody light but can't throw as far. From beamshots I've seen it appears the Pilot Whale has a similar beam profile, although possibly with more rings. Good for lighting up the whole near field, but won't throw as far.

I have several other multi-die LEDs (mostly cheap DX lights) but the only other MC-E I have that impresses me much is my Dereelight DB3 V3 with the MC-E pill and extension to use 2 18650's; it projects a wonderful floody beam quite well, but interestingly narrower than the spill on the TK40 and not as throwy in the center; still a very decent throw though, and with a big bright hotspot.

I have a Legion-II on the way, have to see how it stacks up.

At the moment, if I want to use an LED hand cannon, I pick up my TK40:twothumbs

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm planning on buying a TK40, but I'm wondering about its longevity. I know there are brighter lights out there (Pilot Whale, M2C4, etc), but I'm liking the AA batteries in the TK40.

Since it's been out for a while, will there be a TK50 soon? Or maybe something else that's better?

The TK40 does have a new improved battery carrier. Eneloop rechargeable batteries with a charger are best if you're going to use the TK40 frequently. If you don't like rechargeables try L91 Energizer 8X ultimate lithium AA batteries. Alkalines will leak under the strain.

Don't forget you can only use turbo (brightest) mode for 10 minutes at a time.

Last edited:

DanPonjican

Newly Enlightened
I find that chasing the latest updates gets you no where. Just get what you want when you want it. Don't worry about what is in the pipe lines... there is no sense in it. There will always be a better laptop, camera, flashlight, etc. one month after you buy yours.

Cartman

Newly Enlightened

The TK40 is in a class by itself. As the only MC-E (that I know of) that runs on AA, I don't think it has any competition. To me, anyway, the TK40's appeal is not its output or mode versus others, it's what it runs on: the ubiquitous AA cell which in an emergency will trump other systems that need access to a charger.

As far as leaking, I think one user has reported a leak, while others have had no issues so your mileage may vary. I myself have been running Eneloops. Other than the tail switch being too easy to activate, I am very happy with it.

AusKipper

Enlightened

Dont forget to ignore that above statement. It will depend on the ambient temperature how long you can use it for on turbo before it gets too warm.

I use mine almost exclusively on turbo, sometime for well over 10 mins, and have not had a problem yet.

Thats at air temperature of about.. 15 degrees Celcius.

Some chap did runtime tests on turbo, and just left it under a fan, and it was fine also, that was continuous on for a couple of hours.

To answer your above question.... yes get it, though i'm still hoping they bring out a TK50 with a smooth throwy reflector :) :)

suregetfired

Newly Enlightened
...will there be a TK50 soon? Or maybe something else that's better?

New lights are being developed everyday, the TK40 might be considered ancient history in just a few months. My point is, you can be waiting forever if you want the latest technology. Get it and be happy with it...I did. :D

recDNA

Flashaholic
Dont forget to ignore that above statement. It will depend on the ambient temperature how long you can use it for on turbo before it gets too warm.

I use mine almost exclusively on turbo, sometime for well over 10 mins, and have not had a problem yet.

Thats at air temperature of about.. 15 degrees Celcius.

Some chap did runtime tests on turbo, and just left it under a fan, and it was fine also, that was continuous on for a couple of hours.

To answer your above question.... yes get it, though i'm still hoping they bring out a TK50 with a smooth throwy reflector :) :)

Only giving him Fenix' own warning. Using turbo more than 10 mins is taking a chance. Some people might want to know that before investing $140.

brigadeer

Newly Enlightened

I literally just got my TK40 in today and I am loving it. As others have mentioned already, I think it is best to purchase some rechargeables such as Eneloops to power the light.

I just got back taking a walk with my dog, and I lit up damn near the entire neighborhood when I cranked that sucker up to Turbo mode. I was amazed!!!

Even if Fenix comes out with a TK50 in the next few months, I highly doubt it would offer anything revolutionary over the TK40, probably just some minor changes. Don't deny yourself, get this light now, lol!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Only giving him Fenix' own warning. Using turbo more than 10 mins is taking a chance.

Not more than on any other high power flashlight.

Nearly all high power lights would benefit from that warning, but most manufactures do not print it. The problem is if you let a light run at max. without holding it or has some airflow over it, it can not get rid of the heat and might cook itself.

The text in manual for the TK40 could be interpreted as if the light has some sort of thermal shutdown, preventing any damage to the light, even if it gets to hot.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go for it, there are not much lights that are really brighter. For example M2C4 with claimed 900 lumens is in fact less bright (both throw and lumens)...

Alkalines will leak under the strain.

Because the light uses 8xAA, the power drain from the batteries is similar to the 2xAA high power lights. But I agree that alkaline batteries are not ideal for any high power light ;)

You can use the light at turbo level as long as it doesn't get too hot. I wouldn't tail stand it in a 25°C room for more than 10-20 minutes, but night walk is ok.

The TK40 doesn't get hotter than other MC-E/P7 flashlights, so the other flashlights could use the warning as well.

neoseikan

Enlightened
How about post a review comparing Legion II with other MC-E lights?

:)

I love my TK40 - for throw with a multi-die light, it is the best I have. Also no donut hole - the TK40 reflector does a really good job of projecting a bright hotspot very far, and also lots of wide-angle spill nearby.

I have an Ultrafire RL-2088 (Osram 6-die) which has more floody light but can't throw as far. From beamshots I've seen it appears the Pilot Whale has a similar beam profile, although possibly with more rings. Good for lighting up the whole near field, but won't throw as far.

I have several other multi-die LEDs (mostly cheap DX lights) but the only other MC-E I have that impresses me much is my Dereelight DB3 V3 with the MC-E pill and extension to use 2 18650's; it projects a wonderful floody beam quite well, but interestingly narrower than the spill on the TK40 and not as throwy in the center; still a very decent throw though, and with a big bright hotspot.

I have a Legion-II on the way, have to see how it stacks up.

At the moment, if I want to use an LED hand cannon, I pick up my TK40:twothumbs

jahxman

Enlightened
How about post a review comparing Legion II with other MC-E lights?

:)

I will definitely do that; once my Legion II arrives I'm gonna do a comparison among all my LED hand-cannons on all aspects; I might leave out runtime graphs on some of the lower modes, just because it would take weeks :naughty:

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
How does the TK40 compare to the Aurora AK-P7-3 SSC P7-C 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED Flashligh? I really like the 900 lumen factor but not sure why neither Aurora or DealExtreme lists the run time for this light under various mode. The only listed run time is on turbo and it's about 1.5 hrs.

I think this may be the light for me. Is Aurora a good company? Has anyone deal with it or DealExtreme? Anyone has a coupon code I can borrow.

Thanks.

HKJ

Flashaholic
How does the TK40 compare to the Aurora AK-P7-3 SSC P7-C 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED Flashligh? I really like the 900 lumen factor but not sure why neither Aurora or DealExtreme lists the run time for this light under various mode. The only listed run time is on turbo and it's about 1.5 hrs.

I think this may be the light for me. Is Aurora a good company? Has anyone deal with it or DealExtreme? Anyone has a coupon code I can borrow.

Thanks.

Usual you can not trust these "900 lumen" specifications, they are usual calculated at the led (The optic system can easily loose 20% light) assuming that the led is in the top of the bin, it stays at 25°C and fresh batteries (And sometimes a few % is added to the output to make the number look even more impressing).
These conditions does not match real life and the output will usual be much lower.

The TK40 can sustain the specified 630 lumen out of the flashlight until the batteries are drained.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
Is Aurora a good company as far as design, build quality, and customer service? I can't even find Aurora website. The only site with Aurora name is Aurora Tactical and they only carry 1 flashlight while having super high end optic products in the 20s of thousands.

Please also give me coupon code for DealExtreme.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Not more than on any other high power flashlight.

Nearly all high power lights would benefit from that warning, but most manufactures do not print it. The problem is if you let a light run at max. without holding it or has some airflow over it, it can not get rid of the heat and might cook itself.

The text in manual for the TK40 could be interpreted as if the light has some sort of thermal shutdown, preventing any damage to the light, even if it gets to hot.

If the TK40 has a thermal shut down or ramp down to lower mode feature Fenix would be crazy NOT to spell it out very clearly. IMO all of the MC-E lights SHOULD have a thermal protection circuit of some kind.

I like to use L91 lithiums in my TK40 and I don't know how hot THEY get after 20 minutes on turbo. I don't want my hand cannon to explode like a hand grenade!