Any MENSA members here?

SilentK

Enlightened
Well, after recently finding out what MENSA is and how amazingly hard it is to get in, i decided "why not ask the memers of my favorite forum, if anyone is a member?" Lets see if anyone here is a math freak. If you are not a member, try taking the entrance exam. lets see what happens

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the entrance exam one night when I was tired and bored and got a "You would almost certainly get in." But I don't want to join; it's full of nerds.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i solved a couple of the problems for the MEGA society...but not all if them by any means, (MEGA society is like MENSA but instead of smart they are omniscient) it was fun, but i got ADD and never looked at it again

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im the a member and was featured on there news letter many times calling me the worlds smartest man(yeah that's the ticket)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I qualified based upon my SATs way back when, but never joined. I knew a few members - not thanks

Radiophile

Enlightened
Here's an even harder group to qualify to join - http://www.triplenine.org/

I've got friends in Mensa, and I've been told that tests I've taken in High School would qualify me for membership in either society, but I never got around to joining. Like others here have mentioned - they're filled with nerds! I'm a geek, not a nerd!

spock

Enlightened
took the exam to get in and passed it. went to one of their meetings and it was just too abstract for me. never went back.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Like any club or group, it really depends on who comprises your local group. We used to have an active Mensa group (yes, I am a member). The head dude recruited a variety of cool speakers to come to the meetings. We had a really nice 'reptile' lady one night. She brought snakes/turtles/etc and gave an interesting speech.

He stepped down, and now all we do is meet and eat at some restaurant. I've only been to one of the 'new' meetings in the past 8 years probably.

Qualification is based on a variety of tests. Some tests are excluded now as the tests have evolved. Typically 'achievement' test are excluded, whereas 'aptitude' tests are allowed.

I don't know if study would help pass, but it couldn't hurt.

It's not the type thing you tell someone. Other than my wife, NOBODY knows.

It does make for some interesting conversations sometimes.

For whatever reason, a large % of the people in the group here are govt employees.

Last thing, and the most interesting... people get in that aren't what you think of as highly intelligent. Sure, there's always the guy that can compete on Jeopardy, but some people are really gifted in ways that aren't apparent.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie is tutoring me. I really want the journal to put on my coffee table like a couple of my friends.