Mammut Lucido X-Zoom vs Princeton Tec APEX Extreme

alexc

Newly Enlightened
Questions are which one is better, which one is brighter, which one is more versatile?

Swiss made Mammut Lucido X-Zoom: http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/1060340_v_5018/X-Zoom.html
American Princeton Tec APEX Extreme: http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/119

Lucido X-Zoom has 80 lumin bulb, says so in the manual. I got one for my friend, and it's an impressive light. It has 3 modes, zoom, alpine signaling mode, battery check mode, and rear led light mode. It can be tilted, and has very solid construction.

The way I came upon Lucido is by looking for the best and brightest light out there. I had no idea it only had 80 lumins. But none the less, the light did not disappoint.

At this point I'm excited with Lucido and want a light for myself. So I seem to have round up 2 best head lights out there. I wonder which one is better, overall.

kwieto

Newly Enlightened
I never had APEX extreme in my hands, but... do you really think that holding a light powered with 8 AA cells and keeping next 8 AA cels as a replacement is really convenient?
The 300h runtime is calculated for blinking mode, in low it is only 200h (40h regulated)

For X-zoom:
Its lightness is not coming only from the LED power, but also from the lens construction.
And don't forget that it has accu preserving mode built in (press and hold power switch when you are putting last battery)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apex: i have typed this over and over --> the level choice is crap.
something like a larger EOS, with better heatsink and battery pack of normal Apex --> perfect headlamp
(and maybe a higher max level)

Lucido: I check the specs for 1 second and know it is the usual direct drive crap.
3 AA giving 120 h power for 120 m spot light
:rolleyes:
... good for beginners who have no info and dont care for dimishing output of direct driven ones.
(but uncomfortable. Any headlamp of this size without the middle rubber band over the head is for short term use at best)
WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
nah, i'll recommend Streamlight Argo HP (Cree version) instead. not blasting bright to some at 100 lumens but good brightness for it size. 2xCR123s are easy to change in a flash, not to mention light in weight.

simple UI from off,
1st click- low,
2nd click- high,
3rd click- off.

:)