Review: New Led Lenser P7 vs old(Beamshots and lux readings)

Art

Enlightened
Hi,
it seems like my P7 was not enough so Led Lenser just released the new P7 with "up to 200lumens"... I dont really like that sentence , why not "200lumens" ? :thinking:

Well never mind.

Here they are both side by side with the P14 taking care of them :cool:
LLP7vs1.JPG

A nice new detail:

LLP7vs2.JPG

So first thing I noticed was the change on the UI.
What where they thinking?
It goes into max on first click and then low on 2nd click... this is not a good idea since when you come from low to off you have to get the flash from momentary Turbo. :ohgeez:
Better the old ones UI.
Then Ive put it "against" my lux reading... took the eneloops from my P7 and into the new P7 and on spot I can not find a part of the beam with over 7000lux on high... no way!
By this time I was getting annoyed with this new light.

So I went to fetch fully charged eneloops to get correct lux readings and this is what I got:

Led Lenser P7(200lm) High Spot Nimh 6000lux
Led Lenser P7(200lm) Turbo Spot Nimh 8500lux
Led Lenser P7(200lm) High Flood Nimh 190lux
Led Lenser P7(200lm) Turbo Flood Nimh 250lux

Now the old one:

Led Lenser P7 High Spot Nimh 7500lux
Led Lenser P7 Turbo Spot Nimh 10500lux
Led Lenser P7 High Flood Nimh 160lux
Led Lenser P7 Turbo Flood Nimh 230lux

Now the important part and probably why LL update the light... the beams!

Here they make up for the rest , the new P7 has better beam on spot and flood.You can see and the lux readings that on flood its actually better the new one.

Here is a pic of the beams at more less 5meters :
LLP7vs6.JPG

On the right the old one you can see the edge of the led... not very good.
On the left the new one has a better round beam.

Here it is at 1mt of the wall under exposure:

LLP7vs7.JPG

Physically the only difference I noticed was this:

Old P7

LLP7vs3.JPG

New P7:
LLP7vs4.JPG

New on the right old on the left:

LLP7vs5.JPG

So , apart from the UI I think its a nice update.
I do not have time for a runtime test on both.. probably the new one is better to.

Regards,

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing. :grin2:

I am reasonably happy with my P7, is it in your opinion worth while to buy also the new one?

G Man

Newly Enlightened
:thinking: I'm curious about something...bought a couple of Costal LED Lensers from Lowes, aprox $50 ea. Mine do not have adjustable output. Just one mode....bright! Not as much output as a 6P with Malkoff M60 but more than a 6P with M60LL. The two lights have different construction. One has a removable head, the other does not and the tail sections/switches are different. there are flats on both sides that I glued a small strip of thinned down checked neoprene to for better purchase. The removable battery compartment appears to be the same.

Overall construction seems to be the same as the one you have pictured....what can you guys tell me about my lights?

pulstar

Enlightened
I must admitt that i expected higher lux readings when i opened this thread. There are new lights from LL in their new catalog, listed in some other thread, and there is an upcoming version of LL P7R which is going to be rechargeable and around 200 lumens... I would wait for that version...

Art

Enlightened
I was also expecting more lux readings , but the thing is that the old one the spot where it reads over 10k lux is very small where the new one reads 8k lux in a bigger area.

About me changing mine for the new one... if it wasnt for the UI I probably would.
The UI was , IMHO , not a very good idea the rest is a nice improvement.

The thing is that even the P7R (if it will come out since the P5R is like 6 month delayed) will still be a simple light and not a digital one.

They should do a good digital light regulator something like nitecore or other brands , the fact that the light dims in use its probably in the past. Its nice because you never end up in complety darkness but still not even 10mins of regulated output is not the right way.

I also tested the new P14 and it gave a max reading of 20000lux that was impressive!

Regards,

alvin8803

Newly Enlightened
where can i buy led lenser p7 the new one with 200lumens online? how can i spot if its the new p7 with 200lumens coz others do not indicate its full features. --AZ USA
thanks.

Art

Enlightened
where can i buy led lenser p7 the new one with 200lumens online? how can i spot if its the new p7 with 200lumens coz others do not indicate its full features. --AZ USA
thanks.

All the visible differences are on this topic.
The logo inside the lens , the UI... etc

BTW , my old ( the one on the photos) just ended up living on my cars glove box with 4 eneloops and its amazing how it keeps charge. I dont use it that much and it keeps charge for a really long time that at least shows that there is minor parasitic drain.
Really long time is more then 3 months there and still over 1.35v :thumbsup:

alvin8803

Newly Enlightened
sorry sir am not from AZ my brother just playing around with my cpf account anyway, am form the Philippines, and am really new to this. i'm just amazed with the new technology used in flashlights. almost all of the reviews here are important and helps you choose what kind of flashlight suited for you.

its really hard to find high end flashlights here in my place, so i want to try ordering it online, am hoping if you could direct me to where am going to buy it online, what trusted website i can buy this stuff especially led lenser p7. i want it to be my first high end flashlight as am planning to make it a hobby and to collect what's best. thank you very much.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Alvin8803, welcome to CPF and have a good time here. Plenty of info here to help bring you up to speed about flashlights. :twothumbs

Bill

garden

Newly Enlightened
Hey Art, Have you made sure the head of the light the part that houses the LED and the lens is 100% fully, tightly screwed on? Fully screwing it gives a somewhat smoother beam with less lux (or more I don't know), without it fuly screwed on, you can see the LED die in the beam.

Art

Enlightened
Hey Art, Have you made sure the head of the light the part that houses the LED and the lens is 100% fully, tightly screwed on? Fully screwing it gives a somewhat smoother beam with less lux (or more I don't know), without it fuly screwed on, you can see the LED die in the beam.

They where both screwed.
I had at the time a lot of LL P7 here and the new version is always smother beam then old one.

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
sorry sir am not from AZ my brother just playing around with my cpf account anyway, am form the Philippines, and am really new to this. i'm just amazed with the new technology used in flashlights. almost all of the reviews here are important and helps you choose what kind of flashlight suited for you.

its really hard to find high end flashlights here in my place, so i want to try ordering it online, am hoping if you could direct me to where am going to buy it online, what trusted website i can buy this stuff especially led lenser p7. i want it to be my first high end flashlight as am planning to make it a hobby and to collect what's best. thank you very much.
ledlenserphilippines SM Cebu, bro. Check their Ebay site. I am a Davaoeno and I saw some here in Victoria Plaza Davao but they doubled the price. A friend of mine also sells Fenix lights. My cp number is 0920 9511 825.:wave:

Mr5un

Newly Enlightened
hey, i'm considering upgrading from L7 to P7
do u think it's worth $79 AUS?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey, i'm considering upgrading from L7 to P7
do u think it's worth $79 AUS?

If you like Led Lenser and want to stick with them then yes to an extent. Although I'm lead to believe retail prices of them in Aus are stupidly high, so you might want to see if you can pick one up cheaper else where. I'm not sure on the exchange rate but in the UK you'll see some retailing at £59, but with a little effort you can actually buy them for £25. At £25 they are great value, as £60 they are a total rip off.

If you really want to stick with Led Lenser and want an upgrade you might want to consider the M7 as it is regulated rather than direct drive (more constant output).

That said there are a lot of other flashlight and torch brands you could consider if you want too.