Specifications

• High Mode: 113 Lumens
  • Low Mode: 3 Lumens
  • Runtime High/Low: 2.5/17.2 hours
  • Weight: 4.3oz or 121.90g
  • Length: 5.4in or 13.72cm
  • Battery Config.: 2 x CR123
  • Body Material: Aluminum MIL-SPEC Anodized

To start off the packaging is the same as the LX2, nice and simply, yet still elegant. There are a few check boxes on the rear, indicating the selected colour of the light.

P8102294.jpg

P8102290.jpg

P8072127.jpg

P8072128.jpg

P8072129.jpg

P8072130.jpg

The feel of the A2L is much alike the LX2, however the momentary on action is alot 'softer' and 'smoother' than my LX2. Whether that is because they have slightly 'improved' the design, or just by nature I am not sure. The A2L is another of Surefires new 'Fluted' designs, which I really like the look an feel of.

P8072131.jpg

P8072133.jpg

P8072134.jpg

The pocket clip is the same as the LX2, and there are still the rubbing issues for the tailcap, and the possibility of the anchor of the clip 'scrapping' on the head of the light when turned, so I suggest you check this when you receive yours! :thumbsup:

P8102295.jpg

P8102298.jpg

The red led's hurt!
I can look into my Y/G A2 all day (and night) and be fine, but with the A2L, I was blinded :rolleyes:. They seem to have significantly greater output, and they have a much less ringy appearance against a wall up close aswell!

P8072137.jpg

P8072141.jpg

This beamshots is approx. 20cm from the wall

P8072193.jpg

The main beam is definitely no where near as bright as my LX2 or E2DL, and it has a bluish tint to it, however the beam profile is very smooth!
It is very comparable to that of the original A2, and I believe that this may of been SF intention!
You can also clearly see the red tint towards the edge of the beam, which is strange but appealing to me.

Indoor: A2L then A2

P8072196.jpg

P8072198.jpg

P8072197.jpg

P8072199.jpg

Outdoor: A2L then A2, followed by a A2L and LX2 comparison.

P8082208.jpg

A2.jpg

P8082209.jpg

P8082208.jpg

SurefireLX2-1.jpg

On my other A2 and my LX2 the lanyard attachment rings are very set in place, and have a lot of resistance to them, however on my A2L it almost wants to roll around when I hold it in the air... the only reason this is a let down is for photography, as the ring normally allow you to lay the light however you want to :laughing:

The body and tailcap are the same as the LX2, suggesting to me that possibly the serial numbers will intertwine.
Anodising isn't matched, and this may upset some buyers, or put some possible buyers off.

The bezel has the same styling as the original A2 which I love, and it is great for any nostalgia!

P8102301.jpg

This light is definitely a carrier!
With a suggested 2.5hours runtime on the primary led, which is brighter than the original A2, you can't beat the added runtime!

All in all this is a strong, rugged feeling light, with the output to go with it.

Disassembled:

P8102303.jpg

P8102309.jpg

P8102317.jpg

P8102306.jpg

P8102320.jpg

P8102304.jpg

P8102322.jpg

Thanks for reading :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire A2L Review

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Haha, read my response in the LX2 thread that I just posted to you :nana:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

And it really is!

I just can't wait until it is night!

This is such an awesome early B'day present it's not funny!
:D

I'll get the beamshots up tonight so everyone can see it in action.

I think alot of fence sitters will wish that they had of taken the plunge straight away :grin2:

Barbarian

Enlightened

Nice review Dime. I look forward to your outdoor shots. :thumbsup:

This is one I'm passing on. I prefer the incan in the original even with the low runtime and less lumens. I don't care for that two tone body either.

My pipe dream is for a single cell with the incan (A1).

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Barbarian,

I understand where you are coming from, I also love my ican A2, even being an LED man!

A Sufefire A1... :hitit:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love the two tone body. Nice review mate.
I also like the two tone effect - it looks intentional with the lighter ring around the bezel and the tailcap being a similar colour.

P.S. Nice review you did there. Your photos are excellent.

James....:)

gsxrac

Enlightened

I also like the two tone effect - it looks intentional with the lighter ring around the bezel and the tailcap being a similar colour.

P.S. Nice review you did there. Your photos are excellent.

James....:)

I agree! I think since its so hard for them to get the anodizing right why not throw it WAY off intentionally! Adds some character id say. Thanks for the review DimeRazorback! The primary beam looks beautiful as well! Glad to know some of them ugly rings are gone in the secondary red also! Mine on my regular A2 are hideous!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree! I think since its so hard for them to get the anodizing right why not throw it WAY off intentionally! Adds some character id say. Thanks for the review DimeRazorback! The primary beam looks beautiful as well! Glad to know some of them ugly rings are gone in the secondary red also! Mine on my regular A2 are hideous!

The latest batches of A2 (2007+ I think) have brighter and less ringy LEDs. I had a older round body A2 that had dim and very ringy LEDs. It was replaced by SF as it had a few contact problems with the incandescent bulb... I love the replacement I got... seen in my avatar! :p

jchoo

Enlightened

The main beam is pretty cool, huh? That will definitely put off a lot of A2 aficionados.

That thing is begging for a high CRI neutral white LED.

computernut

Enlightened

Thanks for posting the review and pics! I like the multi-tone anodizing. My L1 has a purplish body mixed with greenish tones which adds some character. I'm torn between getting a Red A2L and a White. I'll probably have my mind made up as soon as I get all the pennies collected for my next purchase ;)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone know why it says 113 lumens on high instead of 120, on surefires site its says the same thing if you get the red or blue led's.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

lower output of the secondary leds'

Primary is 110lumens, secondary is either 10 or 3 lumens.

110 + 10 = 120 green/white
110 + 3 = 113 red/blue

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh man...I think I'm gonna have to get one of these for my B-day...:drool:

-Mayo

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congrats on the new light. When nightfall comes I will be interested to see which you prefer the LX2 or the A2L...

Looking forward to more beamshots at various distances.