Which flashlight manufactures to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I am new to modern flashlight and like to know which companies to avoid. I see so many lights for a good price and with good rating from vendors' website but I don't have a clue who they are and the manufactures have no website at all. The only names I am familiar with are Maglite and Dorcy and I own both with great success. I don't care for Surefire, Streamlight, and those high dollars lights catering to mall ninjas. I am interested in learning more about Fenix as they seem to have great light for reasonable price when considering that most people could easily get through daily life with less than 3 flashlights; therefore, it is wise to spend the money for durable tools once instead of paying the pipers all the time and end up being frustrate when junks fail to work in most needed.

So please let me know which companies to avoid and which vendors are good to deal with. There are tons of *fire name out there that my head hurts just thinking about it. Of course, most don't even have a website and tend to look and operate just like the next *fire.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good advise from KuKu427. I strongly suggest you change the title to something like that. Negative titled threads are often considered baiting threads, and it can bring forth a whole host of problems where monderators/administrators have to step in to caution folks or close threads, if people are not being any where near polite.

Bill

edit. Here is a thread that you might be interested in. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225796

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Read a lot of threads here and then buy lights that are highly recommended by CPF members.

But I can say that if you are looking for a tactical flashlight, avoid any model shaped like an animal and made of rubbery plastic regardless of manufacturer. :crackup:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Well I would suggest you go check out the flashlight reviews. Thats how I decide on a lot of my lights and that way you know EXACTLY what you can expect when you order a light. Also check out the JEERS section. Not really manufacturers so much but some dealers and such to steer clear of.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title should really be changed or the thread should be closed.

To answer your question : Avoid everything that is cheap and crappy. CPF is probably the wrong place to even find that brands in threads. If so, they are mentionned in first posts by newcomers who have been disappointed and look for a real flashlight.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well , depends , for some , anything under $50 is considered junk , for others , a $15 cheapy that puts out like a $100 job may be considered the bargain of the century , my most expensive light is a MTE SSC P7 @ $35USD , the cheapest a Sacredfire NF-007 that throws with the best of them with a RCR123A .

Best buy would be Solarforce L2's , they were available for $25USD for the 5 mode versions , and they are serious value for money .

Id rather buy 4 L2's than one Olight or similar .

But then others would rather have the expensive light than 4 cheaper ones .
Its very personal , but for the money , Solarforce L2's are hard to beat .

For an entry level light , Solarfoce L2 , want to go cheaper , Ultrafire 501B R2 5mode for around $16USD shipped , Charger and some 18650 batts will set you back another $20 , so for around $35USD your good to go .

Again , all very personal , and just depends on what your looking for .

There is a light that costs $150 USD , has a Cree P4 emitter , wont take 18650 batts , if you like spending dollars , and most cheap lights [ same form factor ] will kick its *** for performance .

So chose wisely , :wave:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I suggest looking at the hottest threads in both the category of light you're interested in (since you posted here I'm guessing LED), and in the Flashlight Reviews forums.

There's a crapload of product out there, and a crapload of differing user needs - which I guess is why there's a crapload of product out there lol!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just spend some time looking around. That is the best thing I did when I first signed up.

In the first few pages of LED, Incan, and General sections, you can an idea on things.

If a company has been around for 5 years and a search doesn't bring much, it's not good. Even if a search brings 100+ results, they might all be negative.

This thread will close very soon, do a search and this isn't the first thread of it's kind.

This isn't just a forum. It's a database. The search function is the fairy that shows you where stuff is hiding. I do know where you are coming from though, that fairy isn't exactly helping you with what to search for :)

The thread linked above "CPF List of Trust Companies" is an idea that should help you.

Just remember though, even if a company is listed at the bottom, that might only mean they are new and there aren't many people that have really got a feel for the company yet. That is why a search will show you how people feel :)

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
This isn't just a forum. It's a database. The search function is the fairy that shows you where stuff is hiding. I do know where you are coming from though, that fairy isn't exactly helping you with what to search for :)

Especially with a database as big as this one.

At least people around here are cool, I'm a newbie who's asked some questions and I've yet to get a reply such as "Please use the search function, you're cluttering up our board".

That said, search DOES work pretty damn well here compared to any other site I've used in the past ten years!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing people like Marduke are trying to point out, is that if people would search before just asking, it would help out people who did search.

Example. Every new guy makes a thread asking "Why does SureFire cost so much?".

Well, this has been answered, but when you search your going to see 20 threads that were closed because it has already been answered, but you won't see the one you need because every other one is in the way. People give up searching before they come across the one thread that caused the others to be closed.

It's helpful at times. Best thing to do is when you start a thread you are unsure about, drop a line saying you already searched, it wasn't helping you. After that, you should get good responses.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
From my personal experience/ownership....
Light brands I have had good results from:
Surefire
Fenix
Romisen
Tactical Operations Products (I know, kind of mall ninja, but despite the name, its been every bit as reliable as my best lights)
River Rock
Energizer

Brands to avoid
Trustfire
Ultrafire
Any "Shower head" multi-LED, regardless of brand.
Any 3AAA light.... I have yet to find one thats worth the $$$.

vali

Enlightened
Just to add some personally untrusted brands, even if the thread will probably be closed...

- Tank-007.
- Ultrafire (unless you are very sure the particular model you want is good, and check for recent reviews).
- Most 3xAAA flashlights.
- Multi 5mm white leds.
- Flashlights that are advertised in W rather than the emitter model.

If you want a particular model, use the search first to know other ppl opinions.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Well , depends , for some , anything under $50 is considered junk ...

GAWD, I hope in this day and age that people don't still equate quality based solely on cost. (And yet, I know this must still be the case. :sigh:) (PT Barnum's postulate still holds true.)

Do your research with the internet. Consider multiple sources. (ie, different web sites)

Status
Not open for further replies.