Can 14500 batteries be used in flashlights and walkie-talkies?

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
I have been trying to find rechargeable li-ion batteries for use in my headlamp and my 2-way radios. I see that 14500 batteries are 3.6 volts, so does this mean it will fry my headlamp and radios? I have not been able to find 1.5v li-ion rechargeable batteries - does such a thing exist? Many thanks.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
two in series generate 8.4V fresh off the charger, they should not be used in anything that can not handle that voltage level.

AFAIK there is no 1.5V, 14500 sized Lithium Ion cell.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
two in series generate 8.4V fresh off the charger, they should not be used in anything that can not handle that voltage level.

AFAIK there is no 1.5V, 14500 sized Lithium Ion cell.

Yes, what he said! :thumbsup:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I have been trying to find rechargeable li-ion batteries for use in my headlamp and my 2-way radios. I see that 14500 batteries are 3.6 volts, so does this mean it will fry my headlamp and radios? I have not been able to find 1.5v li-ion rechargeable batteries - does such a thing exist? Many thanks.

What would be the advantage or reason why you would want to use 14500's in two way radios?

jahxman

Enlightened
Well, of course they can be used in anything that fits a AA battery - of course, that may well be the last time you use that particular device! :poof:

For rechargeable AAs, you probably need to stick to NiMH for most applications...unless the device specs indicate it was DESIGNED for Li-ion's higher voltages and discharge rate - remember it's not only the voltage, but also the current these things can deliver. Some devices that are designed to use Alkalines rely on the internal resistance of an alkaline to regulate the current.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always use a 14500 and a spacer instead of 2AA disposable lithium or 3AA NiMH.
I see no reason to do that.

I have a 14500 in a cutdown minimag. It shortens the minimag by 2 inches making it easier to belt carry.

Last edited:

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
What would be the advantage or reason why you would want to use 14500's in two way radios?

In researching AA rechargeable li-ion batteries I saw an ad that listed the 14500 for use with 2-way radios and other such high-draw devices. Also, I tried using my freshly conditioned/charged AA batteries yesterday in a new 2-way I just bought and it indicated that it was not enough power for it.

I wonder why noone has come up with a 1.5v li-ion rechargeable... seems like there would be a great market for it..

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why noone has come up with a 1.5v li-ion rechargeable... seems like there would be a great market for it..

You don't pick a battery chemistry and then decide what voltage you want to make it. The various chemistries are whatever voltage they are. You can't change the laws of physics to suit your needs!

This is and excellent source for battery information. You don't have to read it all at once, take a few days.

Dave

Marduke

Flashaholic
Li-Ion chemistry voltage is what it is. With respect to your cells, what cells and charger are you using? Not all NiMH cells and chargers are created equal...

In actual use, NiMH voltage is usually HIGHER than alkaline.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always use a 14500 and a spacer instead of 2AA disposable lithium or 3AA NiMH.
I see no reason to do that.

I have a 14500 in a cutdown minimag. It shortens the minimag by 2 inches making it easier to belt carry.
Now this is what I'm interested in! I'd like to use a single 14500 cell with a spacer in my MiniMag/AA with a drop in. Ohms Law says this should be an issue. And carrying 16 AA's in a pack can get rather heavy. Feedback please.

chiphead

swampgator

Enlightened
. Also, I tried using my freshly conditioned/charged AA batteries yesterday in a new 2-way I just bought and it indicated that it was not enough power for it.

I've experienced the same thing using ROV Nimhs in Motorola talkabout radios. Freshly charged and measuring at 1.2V, the radios beeped the low batterty indicator.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
I've experienced the same thing using ROV Nimhs in Motorola talkabout radios. Freshly charged and measuring at 1.2V, the radios beeped the low batterty indicator.

1.2v is nearly depleted, not freshly charged.