My new torches.

greendestiny

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I'm new here and new to torches. It was my birthday earlier this week and so I decided to buy myself a couple of Surefires to give my wallet a rest from folding knives.

I bought a new E1B Backup from a local retailer and a pre-owned M3 from a member on another forum. I have a couple of questions for you gentlemen regarding the M3 please.

As I've mentioned the M3 is pre-owned but in mint condition. It has never been used, only fondled and looks absolutly new but was told that it's a couple of years old. My first question is regarding the lens. It seems to have some specs of dust on the inside. How would you guys go about cleaning the inside of an M3 lens? Or is it best to be left how it is? BTW she's a drawer queen.

Secondly, the beam is very oval. Infact it's quite thin and long. What I'd like to know please is if this is the cause of just the lamp or could it be partly the torch head itself that is causing the oval effect? I've tried another lamp (MN11) which came with the torch but even that was quite thin and oval.

Finally I apologise if this thread is in the wrong place. I'm very new here and still need to learn the place.

Thanks everyone. I won't be back online until after work now. :wave:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! I can't speak about the M3 because I don't have one, but I do have an E1B. Great little light. Has plenty of punch and seems to be easy on the battery, especially on low.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MN lamps are like that for the most part...the P60 style lamps have the centered beam, the M-series (except the M2), also have the oblong beams...so if you're carrying them the right way, you have some horizontal coverage. As far as dust on the inside, try to stick a low power vaccum down in there (computer vac?). Now you just need to get a turbo head for that thing :devil:...and then an A19 1 cell extender and an MN60 bulb!!! :devil: :devil: There a plethora of information here, and I'm sure others will chime in. Oh, and :welcome:

greendestiny

Newly Enlightened
My new torches...

Hello everyone. I'm new here and new to torches. It was my birthday earlier this week and so I decided to buy myself a couple of Surefires to give my wallet a rest from folding knives.

I bought a new E1B Backup from a local retailer and a pre-owned M3 from a member on another forum. I just have a couple of questions for you gentlemen regarding the M3 please.

As I've mentioned the M3 is pre-owned but in mint condition. It has never been used, only fondled and looks absolutly new but I was told that it's a couple of years old. My first question is regarding the lens. It seems to have some specs of dust on the inside. How would you guys go about cleaning the inside of an M3 lens? Or is it best to be left how it is? BTW she's a drawer queen.

Secondly, the beam is very oval in shape. Infact it's quite thin and long. The outer surrounding 'flood' light is perfectly round but the bright beam in the centre isn't. What I'd like to know please is if this is the cause of just the lamp or could it be partly the torch head itself that is causing the oval effect? I've tried another lamp (MN11) which came with the torch but even that was quite thin and oval.

Finally I apologise if this thread is in the wrong place. I'm very new here and still need to learn the place.

Thanks everyone,
greendestiny

SilentK

Enlightened
The MN lamps are like that for the most part...the P60 style lamps have the centered beam, the M-series (except the M2), also have the oblong beams...so if you're carrying them the right way, you have some horizontal coverage. As far as dust on the inside, try to stick a low power vaccum down in there (computer vac?). Now you just need to get a turbo head for that thing :devil:...and then an A19 1 cell extender and an MN60 bulb!!! :devil: :devil: There a plethora of information here, and I'm sure others will chime in. Oh, and :welcome:

Lets not overload him on his first post. :eek: :welcome:

xenonk

Enlightened
Don't worry about the oval beam, that's just because of the way the filament is positioned inside the bulb. A turbo head would even that out a bit for you. :naughty:

greendestiny

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Thanks for welcoming me. I feel re-assured now about the M3 and I'll try the vacuum method for the lens.

I didn't know the M3 could be modded! Not sure about getting the turbo head as I quite like the looks of the M3 as it is. It has the wavey bezel. I was however thinking of going for an M6 to have a complete set of small, medium and large Surefires.

What sort of power figures would you guys say could be had off a modded M3?

GD

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My new torches...

The oval beam is typically called "classic Surefire". You will see that mentioned in most incandescent light reviews. You could try an air duster to get the dust off the lens.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
If you get the M6, it's head will fit on the M3 (if you change the lamp to either the MN15 or 16, or one of the Lumens Factory lamps). The M6 head is the turbo head for the M3 (and M4).

Note that these lamps put out the same as their MN10/11 brothers (the bulb part is the same) but with the turbo head it concentrates the beam more.

For running the MN10, you might want to look at buying some rechargeable AW 17500 cells from the CPF market place Dealers section. Two of these in the M3 will run the MN10 for about the same length of time as the 3xCR123s, and it will actually be a little bit brighter. Note the 17500s are a little small to safely run the MN11 though.

Barrie

Enlightened
Re: My new torches...

use the light as it was in tended to be used and the dust will burn off
crackup.gif
icon10.gif

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Wow... M3 and E1B way to start a truly great hobby :welcome:

Just stick around and all will become clear lovecpf

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and when you get turbo-head for it, you should dhould try to look for an N2 bulb, (Basically the same as the MN15), since it doesn't have the "oval" shape...they occasionally (rarely...LOL) pop-up on the market place.

greendestiny

Newly Enlightened
Wow thanks for all the replies and info guys. You lot seem a friendly bunch. :laughing:

I've been thinking about this modding business since you lot mentioned it. :thinking: I'm going to do a search on this but if anyone knows any links too to posts/pics of modded M3s, that would be great!

GD

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks for all the replies and info guys. You lot seem a friendly bunch. :laughing:

I've been thinking about this modding business since you lot mentioned it. :thinking: I'm going to do a search on this but if anyone knows any links too to posts/pics of modded M3s, that would be great!

GD

These aren't really "mods", as Surefires are VERY "modualr" (i.e. parts are cross compatible, making it a big seller with the military), so, for example, you have your weaponlight, and you have two handhelds, and your weapon light breaks in the field, you can take a part off your hand-held, and put it on your weapon light to get it working again. Just do a search on the M3T (the turbo version of the M3 that uses the "Turbo Head" i.e. KT4, MN15/16/N2 lamp assemblies mentioned), and you'll find plenty of info on the "mods" that have been referenced so far, and should give ya plenty to read...

Here's a link to the M3T on SF's website...the only difference between this and your M3 is the bigger "Turbo-Head", and a different lamp...jsus switch the parts out, no Modification necessary...

http://www.surefire.com/M3-Turbo-CombatLight

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumens Factory HO-M3 lamp assembly will fix that oval beam. It will draw more current than the MN10, but has more output, and in a more usable beam shape. It may have a slight oval, but not very noticeable.
www.lumensfactory.com -manufacturer
www.lighthound.com -excellent dealer for Lumens Factory lamps

You can also try lining up the filament of the lamp so that it is perpendicular with the flat sides of your M3. Like this |-|. Sometimes takes a couple of tries lining it up and screwing the bezel down(make sure you take the batteries out first so they don't press on the lamps springs and cause it to turn).
That way when you grasp the light, you can align it with your index finger to that the flats are up and down-and the beam horizontal. That fugly beam looks a lot better that way.

If you use, or would like to use, the light frequently, it might be worth investing in 17500 li-ion rechargeable batteries. Two of these take the place of 3 CR123 batteries, and require no modification. They have no problem running the MN10 low output lamp assembly, or the HO-M3 I mentioned, but the MN11 HOLA draws more current than they're safely rated for.
The most popular brand around here is "AW", and Lighthound from the link above also carries them.

On the dust, if all else fails-vacuum, Q-tip slightly damp with alcohol stuck through the reflector opening, etc. you can heat(with a heat gun, or put it in a ziploc bag in boiling water for a couple minutes) the bezel of your M3, and remove the retaining ring to get at the lens. There is a small ring between the retaining ring and lens that will come out, too, btw. Everything behind that should stay in place.

:welcome:

greendestiny

Newly Enlightened
I'm about to order a set of AW 17500 lithium rechargables from Lighthound but they have two types. Protected and unprotected. Would anyone know which ones I need for the M3 please.

Thanks,
GD

Meganoggin

Enlightened
I'm about to order a set of AW 17500 lithium rechargables from Lighthound but they have two types. Protected and unprotected. Would anyone know which ones I need for the M3 please.

Thanks,
GD

Go with the protected ones - they are much safer (especially if this is your first foray into Lithium Ion rechargables)

Have a look at the thread called 'Smoke & Fire (the dangerous side of batteries) - don't want to scare you, but you need to have some knowledge of these type of rechargables :)

greendestiny

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Meganoggin. Great help. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know of any UK suppliers of Lumens Factory lamps and the AW rechargables? Also would I need a spacer for the batteries to fit?

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know about overseas suppliers. I thought Lighthound shipped internationally, but didn't look.
You shouldn't need spacers with the protected cells, as the AWs have nipples on the positive ends. I've had to use a small magnet between them in Z3 and 9P bodies(edit: forgot, this may have been because in those bodies I was using aftermarket lamp assemblies like Wolf-Eyes that have shorter positive springs), but they've always fit M3 and M3T bodies(I've had 3) without needing it for some reason.