CR2 light question

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
I am considering either a Muyshondt Aeon or a Nitecore EX CR2 light. What I don't understand is how both lights can take the same battery and on the low setting one of them runs 40 hours and the other runs only 15 hours. Is the 10 lumen for the aeon overstated or are the electronics just that much better. Any insight would be really helpful.

Illumenaughty

Newly Enlightened
I just got My Aeon yesterday.
The WOW factor is right on with what I read here.
It is every bit of 10 lumens on low, and stunning on high for such a small package.:)

HKJ

Flashaholic
I am considering either a Muyshondt Aeon or a Nitecore EX CR2 light. What I don't understand is how both lights can take the same battery and on the low setting one of them runs 40 hours and the other runs only 15 hours. Is the 10 lumen for the aeon overstated or are the electronics just that much better. Any insight would be really helpful.

The NiteCore is above specifications, the difference between low and high on it is only 8 times, not the expected 13 times.

I have some graphs and beamshots here (But in is in Danish):
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Review NiteCore EZ CR2.html

It includes a comparison with the Aeon.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
the aeon is that good, its been my edc since april and im on the third battery. it runs forever and its bombproof. the nitecore just doesnt have the same quality design that the muyshondt does and it shows, especially in the electronics. but it is a 210 dollar light. on the pllus side its now $120 at fenix-store.

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
I'm really tempted to get the Aeon. Right now I'm rockin a Peak Pacific XLR (about 10 lumens) in the CR2 incarnation with an McR 16 reflector and double lensed with a .7 mm sapphire and 2 mm mineral glass (1.2 oz altogether). It runs about 15 hours on a CR2 but lacks that extra punch. I guess the debate is whether or not I need that 114 lumen option and whether or not it justifies a $125.00 expenditure. The fiance may leave me if another light shows up... its getting too hard to "hide" my purchases from her!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really tempted to get the Aeon. Right now I'm rockin a Peak Pacific XLR (about 10 lumens) in the CR2 incarnation with an McR 16 reflector and double lensed with a .7 mm sapphire and 2 mm mineral glass (1.2 oz altogether). It runs about 15 hours on a CR2 but lacks that extra punch. I guess the debate is whether or not I need that 114 lumen option and whether or not it justifies a $125.00 expenditure. The fiance may leave me if another light shows up... its getting too hard to "hide" my purchases from her!

take the plunge and buy an aeon, its wicked good, it killed my desire for other lights all together, its saved me lots of money because i dont buy all the other little lights i would have if i didnt have it.

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
Friday's pay day so I think I will take the plunge. I hope you're right and I don't feel the need to buy more lights. I think it will, anything I seem to buy is in place of the Aeon. I'm going to go with the natural HA finish.

Last edited:

Illumenaughty

Newly Enlightened
The Aeon does not kill the urge to buy more lights,
I already want another Aeon:cool::cool:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Friday's pay day so I think I will take the plunge. I hope you're right and I don't feel the need to buy more lights. I think it will, anything I seem to buy is in place of the Aeon. I'm going to go with the natural HA finish.

thats what ive got, the finish wears extremely well, mine lives with change and you wouldnt know that by lookin at it, i dropped mine yesterday and it bounced on the concrete of my front porch and 6 more times down my brick steps, i picked it up half expecting a shattered sapphire window, but all that happened was a slight dent in the tailend, didnt even knock the anodize off, now thats a damn light, it would actually go so far as to say that its capable of taking more punishment than my old ra120, check out the durabilty test muyshondt did on his blog, he sawed through a damned mini mag with it.

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
I got an Aeon for Christmas this last year. It is an amazing light. I got the HA Natural too, it is in my pocket every day the finish is amazing.

Every light that I look at now is compared to my Aeon. Trying to figure out if I should get a Titanium Aeon or a new Zephyr :)

fnj

Enlightened
The titanium aeon is almost sinful, it is so pleasurable to hold and look at.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
...would actually go so far as to say that its capable of taking more punishment than my old ra120...

+1 on that!

One drop on concrete and my Ra Twisty stopped functioning. :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

My Aeon has been dropped multiple times on concrete and it still functions perfect!

Sold every light I owned except for a few Aeons, a 6P w/Malkoff, and a Surefire Beast II.

The Aeon is THAT GOOD! :thumbsup:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on that!

One drop on concrete and my Ra Twisty stopped functioning. :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

My Aeon has been dropped multiple times on concrete and it still functions perfect!

Sold every light I owned except for a few Aeons, a 6P w/Malkoff, and a Surefire Beast II.

The Aeon is THAT GOOD! :thumbsup:

well my ra took way more punishment than that, and laughed it off, and the physical battery protection and o-ring surrounded uber thick window are second to none, but ive been harder on the aeon and its functioning like a champ and lookin like a super model, for people that are worried about having to start buying a different battery type dont worry about it, i use my aeon more than any other light and no just on low, and im still averaging one battery every 2+ months. thats better than i ever got out of any McG, Ra, or Surefire on EDC duty, and they were all 123 powered, and its cr2 has like a third the capacity, so by my logic a nautilus would only use two primaries a year, thats INSANE.

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
take the plunge and buy an aeon, its wicked good, it killed my desire for other lights all together, its saved me lots of money because i dont buy all the other little lights i would have if i didnt have it.

Pulled the trigger today. Got a natural finish Aeon on the way from Brightguy. I think this will kill my light fixation for a while.... after I get a Ra Twisty!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
the aeon is that good, its been my edc since april and im on the third battery. it runs forever and its bombproof. the nitecore just doesnt have the same quality design that the muyshondt does and it shows, especially in the electronics. but it is a 210 dollar light. on the pllus side its now $120 at fenix-store.
Now it's only $125.00 from the official website -->> http://muyshondt.net/aeon.shtml

Great time to stock 'em up!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pulled the trigger today. Got a natural finish Aeon on the way from Brightguy. I think this will kill my light fixation for a while.... after I get a Ra Twisty!

i traded my ra twisty 120 which is a pretty rare light, outright for my aeon and have never regretted it, its a solid performer and was brighter than my Ra and ran longer on high, that was what sealed the deal.

tsl

Enlightened

It killed my desire to buy other lights too ... except for a couple more Aeons when the price went down. :)

slate

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy an Aeon but I am having a hard time swallowing the price tag. Are these really worth it? The EZ CR2 is almost 1/3rd the price and I can't imagine it is 1/3 the light of an AEON