• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]This is Part 4 of the Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy thread. Part 1 is over here... Part 2 is over here... Part 3 is over here.[/size]

img-x689.4-t2-embedded.jpg

img-x689.4-t2-midst.jpg

img-gotham-010-sm-gotham6.jpg

img-x622.4-kl2-mce-angled.jpg

Quote from first post in original thread:

The Reason.

Recently I've gotten some inquiries about what sorts of mods I do... and it's difficult to answer because the range is pretty broad! I'm hoping this thread will serve a little bit as a notebook of sorts, logging some new builds and ideas, showing some of the more interesting photos, and generally letting folks get a taste of my work.

Some Introductory Photos!

Here is a small collection of some of the more interesting things I've built, along with annotations... I'll keep the descriptions very terse for now but welcome inquiries. BTW, if you want ANYTHING built, give me a shout! As good friend Knight Lights is fond of saying, anything is possible... the impossible just takes longer! ;)

On to the show! Hee hee. :p

Project-M Runtimes
img-m-runtimes.gif

M180-Mag 2C Closeup
img-m180-ice-flare-closeup.jpg

3 Versions of the M180
img-m180-family-leefdapter.jpg

Kiessling's M180 "Jewelbox"
img-m180-kl2-kiessling-outdoor-closeup.jpg

M180-KL2 Runtimes by Cell Type

M180-KL2 Performance vs. Above Average SureFire L6
img-m180-kl2-leef-runtime-vs-lbu-complete-w-l6-linear.jpg

KL3 TIROS Optic Replaced with McR38cut Reflector
img-kl3-new-mcr38cut-profile.jpg

Milky L1
img-cpf-ml1-head-up-left-back.jpg

Optimator on 2 Cell Dual Stage Body
img-cpf-optimator-l1.jpg

Optimator on 3 Cell Dual Stage Body
img-cpf-optimator-l2.jpg

Optimator (a.k.a. Longinus) on Single Stage C3 Body
img-cpf-optimator-c3-fun.gif

M180-KL2 Crenelated Bezel... A Rarity!
img-m180-kl2-leef-standup.jpg

Mini-e Collaboration with Wasabe64
image-cpf-minie-ruggedized-profile-lit-closeup.jpg

PK L6 Porcupine Converted to X300-KL6
img-m180-porcupine-profile.jpg

img-m180-porcupine-closeup.jpg

M360 "Silver Guardian YS" Two-Tiered Reflector Array
img-m360-silver-guardian2-into-head.jpg

M420-KT4 Bezel Closeup
img-m420-kt4-bezel-trans.gif

M90-M1 Illuminator (LuxV WXOS, runtime 90m on 1x123 Primary)
img-m90-m1-benighted-head.jpg

img-m90-m1-benighted-head-closeup.jpg

img-m90-m1-benighted-beam-profile.jpg

img-m90-m1-benighted-beam-hotspot.jpg

L2 Shorty! Soul of the L2 Transplanted Into an L1 Body
img-milky-l2-shorty-standing.jpg

Milky Redbird Dorcy 1AAA Mod
img-cpf-redbird-upright.jpg

MSaxatilus' Makita Work Light LED Conversion
img-msax-makita-off.jpg

Prototype Project-M Body (Mockup)
img-projm-1x18650-design.jpg

X700-M6 In Action
img-x700-m6-garage.jpg

X700-M6 vs. Some Well-Known Friends
img-x700-m6-outdoor-beam-composite.jpg

Milky Candle v1 (current version is MC2, digitally controlled)
image-cpf-mc1-on-with-clock-small.jpg

Milky Candle "Shorty" Edition
img-cpf-mc-shorty-cistern.jpg

3 Different Fenix Mods
img-3fenix-beamshots.jpg

Pimped-Out Q3 (PQ3)
image-cpf-pimped-out-qiii.jpg

Arc-Aleph Hybrid Dual Stage EDC
img-arcls-1w-sxoh-585ma-mcr18-profile.jpg

Milkbone 2AA/1AA/1x123
image-cpf-milkbone-2aa-off-angle.jpg

KrollGard for Arc LS Tail
image-cpf-krollgard-bquinlan-tail.jpg

Classic Single-Lux Mag Mod
image-cpf-homemade-snii-1.jpg

Last but not least...

Milky Labs in full production mode!
img-pf6-milky-house-with-logo.jpg
img-pf6-milky-house-with-logo.jpg

:)

-=-=-=-=-=-

Unforgiven, thanks for the continuation! Hope I didn't cause you any grief in posting the new thread.

If I can help a bit by posting the continuation thread myself next time one of mine is in such a position, please let me know, I'd be glad to handle that if it might make your work a bit easier. You guys do a lot to keep CPF a nice place for all to visit! :bow:

Thanks again, much appreciated.

-=-=-=-=-=-

[size=+2]How To Contact Milkyspit![/size]

In general, a PM on CPF is a good way to reach me, though there are occasions when this won't work... perhaps PM Inbox is full, perhaps CPF is having a hiccup...

If you can't get a PM sent on CPF, you might want to send one to me on CPF Marketplace. I monitor both.

Or you could send me an email... I suggest you put the word 'CPF' somewhere in the subject line to make it easier for me to separate your email from all the spam...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif

Regarding phone calls: I don't provide my phone number publicly but if you're unable to reach me by the above means, you might want to get my phone number from a fellow CPFer, there are several who know how to reach me. Or have them call me, give them a way I can get back to you (phone number and/or email address), and I'll get in touch as soon as I can. Sometimes a call is the best approach, though in many cases I would encourage you to try PM and/or email first.

If all else fails, post in this thread that you're trying to reach me. No need for details posted here, but at least I'll know I need to reach out to you!

Note: I do use Skype, which is potentially a useful way of doing a text chat... and I can call from Skype on my computer to a phone number pretty much anywhere in the world, so providing me with YOUR phone number would enable me to call YOU. Again, the above means of contact are probably preferable, but if it comes to it, this might be yet another way!

Hope this helps a bit.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been keeping quiet lately! The thought was to go underground and spend more time on builds. Not my best idea... all that happened is folks wondered where I had gone, sent more email asking where I was at, and of course nobody got any eye candy. :banghead: :(

...but I have been keeping busy, and accumulating a number of photos to post. Here are some to get us started.

The closeup below is from a custom MR Bulk Ti Chammy done for ChipWillis. The Ti Chammy is a particularly exotic light so I wanted to do something special: the heatsink is a solid piece of tellurium copper to maximize heatsinking, all the more so because the emitter (Seoul P7) can generate quite a bit of heat and the titanium skin of the flashlight does not transfer heat as well as it could... that chunk of tellurium copper acts as a thermal reservoir of sorts to allow for some use at full power before the heat becomes much of an issue.

img-chameleon-chipwillis-sink.jpg

The quad-emitter build was for ExZeRoEx with 4x CreeXRE-R2WC emitters in McR16xr reflectors, running with multiple brightness capabilities by virtue of my Acorn 1.0 driver running 'Califon' firmware. The firmware supports miser capability as well as memory, tactical, and theater user interfaces... both 2x rechargeables and 3x primaries are acceptable power sources. The host head is an M3 with shallow scallops. Max output is deliberately held back somewhat, topping out around 660 lumens and running correspondingly more efficient, with good runtime and relatively low heat... for this reason it is fully Project-M "M" compliant: M660.4-M3.

img-m660.4-exzeroex-reflectors.jpg

The light below is a Room Sweeper build for an unknown customer (sorry, I forgot to make a note on the photo)... it's essentially the same light as documented by Hogokansatsukan over here and a close cousin to the Shotgun Sweeper (also built for Hogo) posted over here... in this case the host was an E2D, featuring that light's deeply scalloped bezel. The scallops do impede some of the sidespill but also make an interesting pattern around the beam periphery. Running on a freshly-charged 17670 rechargeable this light will generate perhaps 700-800 lumens overall output.

img-roomsweeper-e2d-head.jpg

The 3-emitter build is an X837.4... note the "X" (for eXtreme) designation, basically a Project-M build but not compliant for efficiency reasons. On the other hand, the beam is particularly clean, with a nice balance of throw and spill, and plenty bright! :D This build also features multiple brightness via the Acorn driver, and due to the customer's battery preference it's configured to run on 3x rechargeables or 4x primaries.

img-x837.4-openbolt1-reflectors.jpg

Horse

Newly Enlightened
As usual - looking good! I can't wait for mine to be finished. Can you use the clear label on mine instead of the white?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:thumbsup: Nice work, you've been busy!

Have you cracked into an A2L yet? The blue P4's should give you several emitter swap orders.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: Nice work, you've been busy!

Have you cracked into an A2L yet? The blue P4's should give you several emitter swap orders.

Haven't had one to break into as of yet... always interested in a little scientific research, though! :naughty: If somebody wants to offer theirs for exploratory purposes, the first person to do so gets the emitter swap at cost of parts and shipping alone.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
1wrx7, email replied.

Peterthomson, PM replied, sort of.

Sgt, no XP-G have arrived yet, though I do have some on order. :whistle:

[size=+1]TX101 KL3rev1 Build[/size]

TX101 posted photos of his latest build, an old-school Optimator featuring Luxeon K2-TFFC emitter and shortened McR27 reflector, in the 'Show Your Milky Mods' thread of the Flashlight Collecting subforum. Here's some eye candy...

DSC01451.jpg

TX101: "KL3 Gen 1 Optimator LuxK2 TFFC-UW0E 276 lumens @ 1.3 :cool:"

DSC01442.jpg

TX101: "Now my Optimator SSCP4 has a playmate :D"

DSC01453.jpg

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
[SIZE=+1]Build for Chago[/SIZE]

Scott, what is the white ceramic looking disk where the driver board would normally rest?

img-chago-rainbow-u2swoi-underside-closeup.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[SIZE=+1]Build for Chago[/SIZE]

Scott, what is the white ceramic looking disk where the driver board would normally rest?

img-chago-rainbow-u2swoi-underside-closeup.jpg

That's a layer of Acrtic Alumina finished on the lathe. I was experimenting with a nice way of putting a finishing touch on the underside of the can, so once the board had been wired and mounted I applied a layer of AA, let that set, then sculpted it into shape using the lathe, and finally recreated the center solder contact. It turned out great! Though it did take a surprising amount of time for such a minor touch.

linty

Newly Enlightened
After our convos and looking at your m-project chart, you got me might might tempted my friend... better break out the shamwow's to sop up the drool

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
After our convos and looking at your m-project chart, you got me might might tempted my friend... better break out the shamwow's to sop up the drool

Linty, hope you didn't make too much of a mess! :laughing: ;)

[size=+1]MSaxatilus U2se[/size]

MSaxatilus said:
SNAKE EYES!!!!

DSC00688.jpg

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00684.jpg

DSC00683.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

:grin2::twothumbs:grin2:

Writeup to follow.

To be continued........

MSax, Beautiful photos! How has the U2se been treating you so far?

[size=+1]Tx101 U2by2 with Cree XP-E[/size]

DSC01379.jpg

[size=+1]Gossamer (Cree MC-E pocket-sized light... forgot the photo above)[/size]

img-x727.4-kl4-flowers.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]The New M3 Build I Never Told Anyone About![/size] :ohgeez:

Kiwi_sg has a light for sale over here on MP (for a good price, incidentally) that I built him expressly for use on a trip to the mountains in New Zealand this summer... it's an M3 for which I rethought my previous way of going about the upgrade, engineered it for longer throw and better heatsinking while retaining the good things from my other M3 upgrades, like multiple brightness, power source flexibility, and highly efficient regulation circuitry.

I really ought to do a full writeup on this build, but as it's late in the evening at the moment, I'll toss y'all a little eye candy, compliments of Kiwi_sg, and leave the additional details for later.

Outwardly the light looks exactly like a stock M3 (except for the Project-M clear label, that is)...

SF_M3_Milky_Project_M.jpg

A look at the business end hints that this isn't your older brother's M3! Note the big, scary optic... too big, as it turns out, to fit in the M3 head... took some doing to stuff it plus a nice Cree MC-E plus the necessary circuitry plus sufficient heatsinking into that package! :sweat:

M3_Optic.jpg

Some vital statistics...

Max output: estimated 727 lumens
Min output: estimated 0.23 lumen
Number of levels: 4
Firmware revision: 'Califon'
Miser capability: Yes
Heatsink material: Brass
Runtime on 3x123 primaries, max brightness: estimated 45m
Runtime on 2x18500, max brightness: estimated 1h9m
Runtime at min brightness: 3000h = 4+ months continuous

Pending my full writeup, I'd suggest folks peruse PoliceScannerMan's Gossamer Review Thread for a nice discussion of the functionality wrapped into the 'Califon' firmware.

Hope a few people like this M3 build! I certainly do... would have made myself one already if only I had an extra M3 head sitting around. (oops.) :ohgeez: