Am I retarded?

Buffalohump

Enlightened
I have a Novatac 85P and a 120P on the way....

I have studied the manual and so far have figured out how to set two brightness levels and I can also get a third setting, currently the SOS option.

Aren't there meant to be four settings available on this light? Am I missing something here? Why is this so hard?

I tried programming the thing so I can get the low level blinky option for locating the light at night but no dice.... :(

I would greatly appreciate some assistance from other NTP owners!

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
I believe that it goes like this:

First click - Turns on to the first level
Two clicks from on - changes to second level
Three clicks from on - changes to third level
Click & hold - changes to fourth level - This is usually set as maximum.

If I remember right you need to change the settings for each when they are active. eg change the light to second level to alter that level.

clintb

Enlightened
Not quite, Dr Jekell.

First click - turns on from off
Two clicks from on - switches to second level.
Another two clicks - switches to third level.
Two more clicks - switches back to second.
Three clicks - brings you back to first / primary level.
Click & Hold - fourth level.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the default configuration. I have mine set to come on in low mode, then you have to double click to get to P1 and P2, or press and hold to get to Max.

Actually, I think Clint is talking about the same way mine is configured, Jekell is talking about the way it comes from the factory.

I got one of the military Novatac's, and that came with Max as the default level. It was difficult to make useful with that option turned on.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite, Dr Jekell.

First click - turns on from off
Two clicks from on - switches to second level.
Another two clicks - switches to third level.
Two more clicks - switches back to second.
Three clicks - brings you back to first / primary level.
Click & Hold - fourth level.
That's not right either.

This flowchart is helpful.

fnj

Enlightened
This flowchart is helpful.
That flowchart was enormously helpful to me, but it doesn't seem to be perfect. Contrary to the chart, in its present state, press hold from off in mine gives me on in the last-on state, while press-hold from on gives me full brightness.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I thank you....

but how does one program the extra features like the locator flash etc?
You now know that there are infact 4 output modes.

If you want to reprogram one of these modes with a sos, do the following:

Turn on the light and select the 1 of 4 ouput levels you would like to reprogram. Now press the clicky twice and then hold the clicky down (third button press).

After a second the light will start to ramp up slowly. Continue to hold the button down and it will ramp up to full output then do a double flash to indicate it has reached max output, then it will enter strobe, sos etc. When the light has reached the mode you want eg. strobe, all you do is let go of the clicky and it will stay on (in this case) on strobe. Now you have temporarily programmed this ouput level to strobe. If you want to permantly set this level to strobe simply turn off the light and it is permantly set. If you don't want to permantly set this level to strobe, simply select another output level - e.g. double click and the light will then switch to the other output level.

That's it...

Good luck...

James.....;)

fnj

Enlightened
That is momentary on. You can turn this feature on or off at will.
Understood. All I know is I got it working in all respects the way I want it. If I ever lose the programming for any reason, your chart will help me greatly to get it back.