Anyone successfully use the Britelumens MC-E heatsink?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just had a pretty frustrating experience trying to install a MC-E, wired for 2S2P, into a Britelumens Cree MC-E heat-sink for Mag D.

Since I saw no way to solder leads to the emitter legs once it's epoxied into the sink, the thing to do was to hook up them beforehand, then snake all four through the holes. I used 20 ga. teflon jacket wire (it was all I had), which is an extremely tight fit through the holes... really tough to get them through. 22 or 24 ga. would've been perfect.

So, while pulling the wires through, doing each one a little at a time, and being careful, one of the emitter legs snapped completely off! Too much stress from these fairly thick wires pulling on the delicate legs in this manner. The snap is exactly flush with the package... not even the tiniest nub to try and solder back onto. :mecry: Now I'm out one MC-E, and have chalked up the second device I've ruined in 2 1/2 years of modding (the other was a laser diode). Kinda' prided myself on a good track record of getting things mostly right the first time (i.e. no destruction), which just took a 50% hit tonight. Wasn't even drinking while modding as I usually do. Maybe that would've helped... lol. Again, slightly thinner wire would've caused much less stress to the part during this stage of the assembly.

Anyway, back to the question... I assume anyone who's used this heatsink had to solder the leads on first, before gluing the emitter down? Any success/failure stories out there?

I'm thinking of getting a H22a P7 sink so I can just sit the MC-E on top, glue it down, then solder up my 2S2P config a lot easier. Sound about right? What say the more experienced modders?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Send me the heatsink & MC-E, I'll mount the MC-E, wire it up (with enough leads for you to work with), & send back your way. No charge, just cover the shipping.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Jo's heat sink it is always much easier to solder them out of the sink, saying that you must monitor that you do not heat up the led too much. I use 26 ga mostly and 28 when doing 4s with that sink plus if you can find teflon wire then using those sinks will be less painful.
One trick you can also do is to widen the four holes just one notch if you have thicker wires, it is easy to do since you have holes to guide you.

That is very nice of you Will as always:twothumbs and Bimmerboy he is the soldering master.

Dave

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
very cool of you Will! You must have a huge account in the Karma bank from all the good deeds I have seen you contribute to the members of this forum. :twothumbs