Need help picking another hand cannon...

brigadeer

Newly Enlightened
I have recently picked up a Fenix TK40 and a Jetbeam M1X. Very happy with both purchases.

That said, I am looking to add an additional hand cannon to the arsenal, and I'm not really sure where to turn. The only other light I have found in the same category as the Fenix TK40 and Jetbeam M1X is the Olight M30 Triton. I'm hoping to get a few other recommendations other than the Olight M30 Triton.

Any and all recommendations on another hand cannon would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

brigadeer

Newly Enlightened
How's this for a REAL hand cannon?

Well, that's a little too big and too much, lol. To use an analogy, I was asking for a nice machine gun, and you sent me a howitzer, lol. Thanks though for the link.

To be more specific, I am looking for something in the line of the TK40, M1X, etc. Something around 600+ lumens, and not too big.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the production runs come out I recommend the Malkoff Wildcat in the MD-4 or MD-3 host that will be a great size and you can put on different tailcaps like the stobe mode ones I demonstrate in videos in the Malkoff MD-4 and MD-3 threads that are up. Great reliability easier functionality, lighter weight, 600 lumens of a wonderful white beam.

Crater_Crater

Newly Enlightened
I have recently picked up a Fenix TK40 and a Jetbeam M1X. Very happy with both purchases.

That said, I am looking to add an additional hand cannon to the arsenal, and I'm not really sure where to turn. The only other light I have found in the same category as the Fenix TK40 and Jetbeam M1X is the Olight M30 Triton. I'm hoping to get a few other recommendations other than the Olight M30 Triton.

Any and all recommendations on another hand cannon would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I really liked my tiablo ACE, (I ended up selling it to a friend to finance more purchases, since I have several MC-E/P7 type lights) Also the eagletac M2/M2X are pretty nice, especially now that they added the marking on the control ring for high. Some of the ultrafire multi emmitter lights are pretty bright, there is one that has 7 p4's I believe?, that are not too expensive (no more than the olight or any of the other non american made MC-E/P7 type lights)

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
How is the TK40 working out for you? I guess I am easily pleased as my new Maglite 3W is pretty bright enough and I'll keep it for awhile. Hopefully, it won't be another 12 years until I get another Maglite like I did with the first D and AA one before starting college and was still using it until last night. The older AA and 4D Maglites were placed in storage as there is no need for them now that I have the 3W LED version. They are super bright and the 3D 3W LED can throw out to 200+ yards. It is my new search light.

brigadeer

Newly Enlightened
How is the TK40 working out for you?

Love this light. Took it out last night while walking my dog. There is a cornfield a few blocks away that runs up to our neighborhood. I had been dying to use this thing at full force, which I hadn't been able to do in the neighborhood for fear of upsetting people or just feeling plain weird :laughing:

I got up to the corn field, and was maybe 30-40 yards away, and then it happened....I turned that sucker on Turbo mode. All that came to mind was a passage from the Bible. God created light, and it was good!

The corn field was light up by this light, and even more astonishing was the spill. I swear it thew very visible light a good 30-40 yards wide as well. It was very eye opening to say the least.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but I think it is pretty freaking cool that we are carrying cutting edge lights that can outperform normal flashlights tenfold. I had a neighbor of mine marveling at my PD30 a few weeks ago late at night, and that was only on it's high setting at like 160 lumens or something. Imagine what kind of reaction you would get at the full Turbo 630 lumens!

Anyhow, I digress, back on topic. Any additional recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
I have been waiting for a thread like this one so I could share my research findings and hear others opinions of it.

Some of the lights that I found fall into the category you mentioned is the NeoFab Legion II which I have written off because of its price and I am guessing these are handmade one at a time and take long to fill orders. The Dereelight DBS, Tiablo ACE MC-E, and the MVP P-7 fall into this category. I have found that the M1X is both brighter and out throws all of these lights.

I currently own the M30 Triton and use 2x 18500 batteries and will likely never turn back to using CR123's as the 18500's last more than four times as long as 3x 123's, and do not require the use of the extender tube. The M30 is a really solid built light and comes in a really nice case. So far it has been a great light. It does not come with a nice belt holster, but I found a gun magazine holster at the local Army Navy surplus store that fits it great. The thing is that it is definately not a thrower. The hotspot is nice and big and there is no ring in the spill. Very nice beam. Three brightness settings and a strobe with a dedicated button for it when the tail clicky is set to off.

My research has narrowed me down to the M1X (which you already have), the Ultrafire RL-2088, and the WF-1300L. Both ultrafires claim 1300 lumens (not sure if it is out the front or at the emitter). The RL-2088 seems like a solidly built light contrary to a lot of ultrafires but is out thrown by the M1X. It ranges from $150 - $160 and comes with a custom belt holster depending on who you get it from.The WF-1300L is a beast with 7x P4's but has had problems arriving DOA and dying shortly after delivery. It has also had some construction quality issues. It seems like either of these are a gamble, The 1300L because of its construction quality, and the RL-2088 because it is being shipped overseas and the dealers are hard to communicate with. I have not found a US domestic dealer for the 2088. The WF-1300L can be purchased for $130 USD but that is coming from Hong Kong. The only US dealer is Battery Junction and they are asking $175 for the light which I would be much more inclined to buy from just because you are dealing within the states and they will be much easier to deal with if it should have a problem and you have to return it.

That is as far as my research has brought me. I personally am leaning toward the M1X but it is no brighter than my M30. Either of the ultrafires will out do it as far as brightness, but I do want some throw. (Of course I am used to the throw of the M30). But I hope what information I can provide will help you in your quest. Good luck, Dan.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wish the M2X were put on sale! How about a Labor Day sale?

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
Love this light. Took it out last night while walking my dog. There is a cornfield a few blocks away that runs up to our neighborhood. I had been dying to use this thing at full force, which I hadn't been able to do in the neighborhood for fear of upsetting people or just feeling plain weird :laughing:

I got up to the corn field, and was maybe 30-40 yards away, and then it happened....I turned that sucker on Turbo mode. All that came to mind was a passage from the Bible. God created light, and it was good!

The corn field was light up by this light, and even more astonishing was the spill. I swear it thew very visible light a good 30-40 yards wide as well. It was very eye opening to say the least.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but I think it is pretty freaking cool that we are carrying cutting edge lights that can outperform normal flashlights tenfold. I had a neighbor of mine marveling at my PD30 a few weeks ago late at night, and that was only on it's high setting at like 160 lumens or something. Imagine what kind of reaction you would get at the full Turbo 630 lumens!

Anyhow, I digress, back on topic. Any additional recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am quite happy with my 3D 3-Watt LED Maglight, which I think is very bright. I would love to lit up the my back area with a TK40. There is a creek running right behind us with parts of it touching the stilt/balcony support beam during high tide. The creek zig-zags across the meadow about 150 yards directly behind my balcony and as far as 400 yards to either left and right before going out to the river. I love to lite the whole area up with a torch. The funny part is that I have been wanting to get a good light but backing off due to price, trying to limit things under $100, but I end up spending just as much for multiple lights that, while extremely good in their own right, aren't all that amazing. I believe I need to get another Stanley tri-pod light for another of my vehicle then I will save the pennies for a good light for Christmas. Hopefully, there will be a TK50 with 800+ lumen and much longer throw and a good flood twist adjustment like the Maglite.

Quick question, how many lumen does the 3D 3-Watt LED Maglite put out? It is extremely bright with long throw and good flood coverage at the same time. I think I can reach out to 400 yards while being able to see things clearly out to 200 yards. It requires my 4D Maglite, Dorcy search light, as well as Dorcy 3D and 2D light. This things rocks and stay true to the Maglite legendary build quality.

As far as you wanting another hand cannon, I would enjoy the TK40 until Fenix comes out with an upgrade. Then you can sell your TK40 to me.

Last edited: