Eco-Lite

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I picked up this pair of Eco-Lite and would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. The idea is very interesting, having a rechargeable flashlight that can be charged from a nightlight base either by top or bottom lights. The Auto-Off-On mode is also a plus as it insure there will always be a fresh flashlight available if the power does goes out.

Please let me know what you think. I am debating whether to keep it or get another set of Mini and Maglite LED version, which I am very happy with right now.

Thanks.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/nick__45/P1050117.jpg

Over sized image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have these (well, the non-nightlight versions) and they are PHENOMENAL.

I buy them for all my friends for housewarming gifts.

Simple, nothing fancy, but critical during power outages or in the middle of the night...

Great purchase! Did you get them from Costco?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the problem I have always had with plug in rechargable lights is if you leave them plugged in years later the batteries are no good. I myself prefer regular lights that can use rechargables or just put lithium batteries in them and you have a light 10 years later vs 3-5 years and either you have to rip the light apart and replace the rechargable pack or buy a new one.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I have these (well, the non-nightlight versions) and they are PHENOMENAL.

I buy them for all my friends for housewarming gifts.

Simple, nothing fancy, but critical during power outages or in the middle of the night...

Great purchase! Did you get them from Costco?

Yep, I got them from Costco. The actual name is Eco-i-Lite; the flower is suppose to be the i. I took them out of the box and it is the pain to do so. I hate it when they package them that discourge people to return. They just make it harder for themselves to resell if people decide to return. There are people that would return anything and in any condition. Costco and many other places are hurting good customers by coming up with these stupid packaging design. If I return it, they have to send it back to the manufacture for repackaging. If it was made in China, then the product practically goes in the trash and Costco gets a credit back from the importer, who gets it back from the actual manufacturer.

The lights actually came pre-charged but the recommendation is to leave them charged for 24 hours. The lights are more of a indoor use or for people to see you. I bought them to see if they would make great lights for wheelchairs. After seeing that they have strobe mode, i decided to open them and let them charge. The nightlights are a big plus and well worth the cost of the whole product.

I am not going to keep them in the charger all the time like most lazy people. They'll get 24 continuous hours of charge them per month and will actually reside in the cars during the days, used as lights to open the doors in during the weeks, and get charge overnight on weekend.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
the problem I have always had with plug in rechargable lights is if you leave them plugged in years later the batteries are no good. I myself prefer regular lights that can use rechargables or just put lithium batteries in them and you have a light 10 years later vs 3-5 years and either you have to rip the light apart and replace the rechargable pack or buy a new one.

I think most rechargeable flashlights from reputable companies will use rechargeable batteries of high quality so the concern is invalid. However, I do agree with you that it is much better if they give use the option of replacing the batteries easily when they do die. I have two electric shavers, one Braun and one Panasonic. The Panasonic is 11 years old and still works as good as new and the battery still hold the charge very well. The Braun is a better design as it has a corded charger and can be charged while shaving as well as having a very short charge time. Both are good, low priced (below $30) and extremely reliable. The Braun is only 8 years old and I can see it lasting another 20 years without any problem.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think most rechargeable flashlights from reputable companies will use rechargeable batteries of high quality so the concern is invalid.

Brand name makes little different, it's just the nature of the technology. Ni-Cad cells on a constant trickle charge for years at a time WILL die.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Brand name makes little different, it's just the nature of the technology. Ni-Cad cells on a constant trickle charge for years at a time WILL die.
I am thinking the stuff that lasts longer on charger is being used almost daily so they are actually being charged up and not just trickle charging most of the time.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have a couple of them as well,good inside the house, light what it its seems made for.I also have a smaller 3-led night light model that I picked up at Target on close out along with the larger model also on close out.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I believe the battery used is Lithium and not the older Ni-Cad. The bulbs are LED and the marketing point is that neither bulbs or battery would be a concern when the power goes out.

The older rechargeable flashlight often found in homes or fire and rescue squad stations usually don't last very long if left charged. We had to switch them out every 3 years and let members use it in for other things. I would still prefer the ability to change out the battery though and the idea behind rechargeable flashlight is to offer to a group of people who don't neccessary want to fool around with things when the power goes out. They need to see where the lights are and be able to see it until the morning comes and this is market Eco-i-Lite is trying to corner. I have always had great luck buying from Costco since they are very selective in what they sell unlike Walmart, K-Mart, and especially auto part stores. I bought a big search light from Advance Auto Part only to had it failed on me 3 months later when I needed. It was also too late to return and the hassle of shipping it back to the manufacture would outweigh the idea of getting another junk.

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
I bought a set of these from Costco, and have mixed feelings on them. The lights themselves are kind of nice, and the strobe function could actually be useful if you needed to attract someone's attention (just stick it in the window). They're not the greatest light out there, but fine for their intended purpose.

The problem I had was with the night light part. Both of my nightlights stopped working a couple of weeks after I bought them. I no longer had the packaging and it was too much trouble to look up the company for a warranty return. It is on list of things to do to take them apart and figure out what went bad. I suspect it was the circuitry and not the LED. But my list is pretty long, so I will probably never find out.

optodoofus

Max

Enlightened
I know this is an old thread, but I had something to add...

Somebody tossed one of these into our battery recycling bin because it no longer charges (presumably), so I "rescued" it to see what's inside.

To open the case (as I discovered a bit too late), pry off the rubber switch cover. Underneathe are two teensy screws. Remove the screws. The top, with a bit of wiggling effort, should now slide out of the bottom.

inside is a circuit board with three 2-prong connectors that go to the battery, a large inductor coil (for recharging without an electrical contact), and the LED circuit board which is in the head.

The head can be disassembled by removing one screw in the center of the bottom of the head. Inside is a circuit board ring with LEDs on it, and a plastic silver colored reflector.

The battery is a 3.7v lithium ion, approximately AA sized (14500?) that has lead wires soldered onto the ends and shrink wrapped.

Hope that helps somebody.