Lightwave 2100 battery life.

x2x3x2

Banned
had anyone actually did their own tests on the battery life of lightwave products that claim to last for days? wonder how they manage to make their lights run that long while others last for a couple of days the most...

ChrisA

Enlightened
Lightwave uses simple resistors to reduce the current flow to the leds... During discharge the voltage of the cells drops and the leds will draw less and less power - nearly every MAh will be transformed into light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I do like regulation, but for emergency I'd rather stick with direct-drive or simple resistors - better runtime and less parts to go kaputt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

ChrisA

Enlightened
Well, it's not the brightest light you can buy, but it'll provide usable output for quite a long time. It's ruggedly built and somewhat water resistant. What do you need the light for - that would help giving you better advice...

Chris

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
x2x3x2 said:
so the 2100 is good?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, first a warning: I'm purely speculating here, so I'd better put on my fireproof suit. This is just based on what I've read online.

It seems to me that the 2100 is outclassed by the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA. The Streamlight has 7 LEDs vs. 4, and an extra cell to work with. When I say 'work with' I mean that you probably don't really need all 4 up front, unless you're using rechargeables. You can probably use 3 alkalines and a dummy cell with no problem. Then when they get discharged a bit, add that last cell and bring the total series voltage back up where it should be.

I will concede that the 2100 will get better battery life no matter how you slice it, so it depends on where your priorities lie.

Also, the reviews I've read say that the 2100 is a great light and also that the Streamlight is great.

To back up my flapping lips, here is a link. Note that the Lightwave 4000 (the one that runs on 3 D-cells) just barely bests the Streamlight 4AA. Also, although the Lightwave 2100 isn't on this chart, it is a good bet that it is just slightly brighter than the Lightwave 2000, which IS on this page.

Brock's LED Flashlight Page

So if you're all about the life, get an eternaLight or a PALight. If you like the life, but not first and foremost, get the Lightwave 2100 or a Turtlelight II. If you're all about the performance and wouldn't mind carrying an extra set of AAs with you, get the Streamlight. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

[ QUOTE ]
Opinions are like a$$h01e$: everyone's got one.

[/ QUOTE ]

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
x2x3x2 said:
had anyone actually did their own tests on the battery life of lightwave products that claim to last for days? wonder how they manage to make their lights run that long while others last for a couple of days the most...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know for sure I did a battery test for the Lightwave 2100, but I'm not 100% sure about the 2000, 3000 or 4000.

The Lightwave 2100's battery chart is on this page if you're interested.

ChrisA

Enlightened
I was pretty sure, Craig would have to say something about it - I was just too lazy to search for the review... Bookmark that URL - it's my numero uno flashlight review site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris