What is your favorite E-series compatible LED head?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post your favorite LED head that fits an E-series body. Right now, I don't have a favorite anymore, so I'm trying to get some ideas on what to get.

roguesw

Enlightened

From left to right
McGizmo PR with 5W Luxeon on E body
McGizmo PR-T with Seoul on Ti body
McGizmo Ti PD Hybrid Golden Dragon
McGizmo AMC with P7
Spare McGizmo PR head empty

Missing from pictures, spare PR-T black and KL4.

All these except the Ti PD are E series compatible.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a favorite....theres just too many cool ones to choose from..

025-9.jpg

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider the KX2 the best all around choice. Two levels, low first, accepts 16340 to 2xCR123 (and 2x16340 according to some), and good run time.

Dan FO

Enlightened
For a single CR123 it would be the NiteCore Extreme head.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
TLS Q5 LED head.

Different versions available in single and dual output levels for Surefire single-cell, and two-cell E-series lights.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to second the TLS head. Mine is an early model two-cell single output version. I will most likely get the newer low/high output version.

I prefer it over the Surefire TIR optics. The Surefire's TIR optic you see in the KL1 and KX series produce more of a concentrated narrow beam with some spill. Very good for distance outdoors. They are good candidates for a beam diffuser. The TLS has a very discernable hotspot but much more spill. I find it much more useful indoor and out.
MSRP for the TLS is around $75 and around $109 for the KX2.

I also recommend the Malkoff VME head if you prefer a single stage head. You can use any Malkoff LED dropin. The high powered M60, flood versions, low output versions, etc. When new brighter dropins become available you will be able to upgrade the head. A VME head and a Malkoff LED of your choice package will run about $85.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
my favorite is the first generation kx2, with the single level of output, "45" lumens thats actually closer to 60, and absolutely table flat regulation for nine hours and change

I really like that one too, but I think the emitter in it is a little dated by now. There are probably ones that would push 100 lumens with better color temperature at around the same current draw.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've used the TLS-TX1 Q5 in the past. The quality was pretty good, but the threads were too loose for my taste. It felt like a good pull would rip it right off the body. I'm more of a two cell light guy anyways.

And the tint was too cold. It was very bright though.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are fine with single stage levels the malkoff VME head with any of his "W" warm LED models should win you over. The warm models are not as "cold". Brightest is M60W (warm). Next is the M60 Warm Low. The VME head fits Surefire "E' series bodies for the smallest possible footprint.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've used the TLS-TX1 Q5 in the past. The quality was pretty good, but the threads were too loose for my taste. It felt like a good pull would rip it right off the body. I'm more of a two cell light guy anyways.

I've got a couple of E2Es with the two-cell TLS Q5 heads.

No looseness. Quite tight. Tint definitely on the cool side of the spectrum. Excellent combination of throw and flood, leaning towards throw.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple of E2Es with the two-cell TLS Q5 heads.

No looseness. Quite tight. Tint definitely on the cool side of the spectrum. Excellent combination of throw and flood, leaning towards throw.

It was quite a throwy head, I really liked that about it.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are fine with single stage levels the malkoff VME head with any of his "W" warm LED models should win you over. The warm models are not as "cold". Brightest is M60W (warm). Next is the M60 Warm Low. The VME head fits Surefire "E' series bodies for the smallest possible footprint.

I had forgotten Malkoff was going to do some E-compatible heads.

That looks interesting, but how much bigger is it than say a KX2?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or does it look like part of the window is blocked out on the VME? I don't want a flood light.

*edit* nevermind, I forgot the Malkoffs are all like that because of the lens.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
my favorite is the first generation kx2, with the single level of output, "45" lumens thats actually closer to 60, and absolutely table flat regulation for nine hours and change
That's where I put my vote as well!
Especially if you toss in a nice warm Cree, a McXR19 reflector from the shoppe, and a minimag 1mm thick mineral glass lens from lighthound.
My most favorite use every day E series ever! Super easy mod as well.

That looks interesting, but how much bigger is it than say a KX2?

From here it looks to be a bit smaller. The quick change capability of the VME head makes it come in at a very solid #2 favorite.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It was quite a throwy head, I really liked that about it.

You get useful light for a long time too. I noticed output began to dim last week. Curious to see how low it could go. Been using my TLS equipped E2E for another week at work. Output only became a joke on my last shift of the week. Close to 5 days of at least useful output. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts