Best Forward Clicky Single AA light?

ccondrey

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the market for a moderately priced forward clicky (with momentary on ability) single AA light for everyday pocket carry. The two lights that really have my attention are the Eagletac P10A, and the Fenix L1T. What do you think of these two lights. Following are my criteria - if you think something else would be better please share.

My main criteria are:
- single AA light
- forward clicky with momentary on ability
- small - smaller the better
- 80 lumens or higher on high
- under $75

Please do not suggest lights that do not meet these criteria. Thanks!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! The Quark 1 AA Tactical will meet all of your criteria. It's programmable so you can customize the levels to suit your preferences. You can reverse the clip to bezel up or bezel down or you can remove the clip. It also has good knurling for better grip. Check it out here:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1655

Last edited:

Nos

Enlightened
the Quark series is somewhat overhyped.....................

but you should really get one :laughing:

JBorneu

Enlightened
I would go with the Fenix L1T, because it is a proven performer. No fancy modes or programming options, so nothing software-related can go wrong. Two modes and you can select which one before turning it on. It has been around for a long time, all manufacturing errors and defects are cleared, so the chances of getting a defective light are extremely low.

The Eagletac P10A gives more light, but it has less runtime than the Fenix L1T as far as I know. So, if you want as much light as possible for that price, the Eagletac P10A is what you want.

Tom_123

Newly Enlightened
One more recommendation for the Quark tactical.
Compact, decent build quality, versatile and in MHO
with the best UI that a light of this size can have.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the NDI and the QAA tactical. They are both great lights but I'd go with the QAA, it is significantly brighter in my examples and has a much better beam with the new XP-E emitter.

Both lights run well on 14500 batteries.

ccondrey

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your advice! After much reading I decided on a new Nitecore Defender Infinitiy R2. It's a little over my budget, but I think I will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the NDI and the QAA tactical. They are both great lights but I'd go with the QAA, it is significantly brighter in my examples and has a much better beam with the new XP-E emitter.

Both lights run well on 14500 batteries.

+1 on this. The NDI looks a bit better (especially if you grind of the teeth:poke:) and is slightly smaller though.

The Quark can be used with a 1 cr123 or 2 AA body if you want to. The 2 AA body is also a good battery carrier.

Sverre

One other big reason is that one can get the Quark with a neutral white led from a dealer while a NDI requires that you can solder and buy a Q3 5A Cree to do this.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Fenix L1T-V2... I dropped that thing countless times. once hard enough to dent the bezel. One time it landed squarely on the switch against a rock in a creek hard enough to turn the light ON.

it has proven to be my most durable light, and the bezel-twist H/L switch mechanism can't be any simpler than that.

Great design IMHO

dscn5645.jpg

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for your advice! After much reading I decided on a new Nitecore Defender Infinitiy R2. It's a little over my budget, but I think I will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Good choice. I personally found the NDI to be hard on my pockets due to the sharp bezel, don't know if they have changed or not. It's a small detail but I pocket carry my lights so it started to bug me.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice. I personally found the NDI to be hard on my pockets due to the sharp bezel, don't know if they have changed or not. It's a small detail but I pocket carry my lights so it started to bug me.

If you have a belt grinder or sandpaper you can round the bezel off in a few seconds:

IMG_6228.jpg