The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OH CRAP! HELP!

Default OH CRAP! HELP!

I WAS SITTING HERE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HEATSINKING OPTIONS FOR MY 5D CELL MAGLITE WITH THE TERRALUX TLE6 EX DROP IN MODULE. I TRIED PUTTING ALUMINUM FOIL AROUND IT. THEN PUT IT TOGETHER AND TURNED IT ON. NOTHING HAPPENED. SO I TOOK IT APART AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND TURNED IT ON AGAIN AND NOW THE DROP-IN HARDLY BRIGHT AT ALL! SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED. ALSO IT KINDA SMELLED! WHAT HAS HAPPENED AND HOW DO I FIX IT?!?!?!?

Default Re: OH CRAP! HELP!

uhoh. it sounds like when you wrapped the module, you accidentally shorted the module out.

I'm sorry for suggesting that to you, didn't expect that to happen. Contact Terralux, see if they can do repairs. :/

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    uhoh. it sounds like when you wrapped the module, you accidentally shorted the module out.

I'm sorry for suggesting that to you, didn't expect that to happen. Contact Terralux, see if they can do repairs. :/

AWWW WTF I'M SO PISSED OFF NOW! GOD D*MNIT WTF oh no oh no oh no oh no what am i going to do?!?! I'm gonna go cry

Don't feel alone Cole, I put 2 CR123's in a 18650 only light. Instafry, and I had it for sale too. Hard to sell after I burned it up. I think I ran the light maybe 10 minutes total. S**t happens. Now say to yourself 100 times, "I will not burn up my own lights" and go buy another.
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole07 View Post
    AWWW WTF I'M SO PISSED OFF NOW! GOD D*MNIT WTF oh no oh no oh no oh no what am i going to do?!?! I'm gonna go cry
    Try fresh batteries.
    There is a slim chance you shorted out the batteries and drained one or more of them.

Then cry.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you may want to refrain from all caps, as it's considered shouting and rude, and it would only add to your problems if a mod closed your thread because of it.

I hope Terralux can help you get it going again.
    Due to my current schedule being pretty darn hectic, I will not be accepting new modding projects until things settle down.

This is a good excuse to buy a Malkoff next time.

Think of it as a good thing.
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Painter View Post
    Try fresh batteries.
    There is a slim chance you shorted out the batteries and drained one or more of them.

Then cry.
    Yea i tried the old krypton lamp in it, and it is like 10x brighter than the led when the led is supposed to be a little brighter. So i guess i'll just cry.

Quote Originally Posted by divine View Post
    This is a good excuse to buy a Malkoff next time.

Think of it as a good thing.
    I wanted one of those so bad but they are just to expensive... And I'm only 16 and my parents wouldn't let me.

Man I am sorry to hear that. I give you credit for pushing the envelope.
    I just ordered a "2 CR123" LiON cell (17670) for my Nitrolon G3 with GREEN KL3 LED.
    I will make sure it's ok before I try it.
    Hope you get it worked out.

Will battery junction replace it with a new one? Thats where i ordered it from. They better because this is a bunch of crap. This never should have happened.!!

Flashaholic*

Buy a light from China

Will battery junction replace it with a new one? Thats where i ordered it from. They better because this is a bunch of crap. This never should have happened.!!
    Well, is it Terralux's or Battery Junction's fault that it did?

How is BatteryJunction inexplicably responsible for you wrapping the module with aluminum foil and apparently shorting it out?
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. — William Pitt, 18 November 1783

You broke it...

Don't feel so bad, I've destroyed a P7 (ok, more like a relative) and 2 Luxeon Rebels, 6(!) 1.4A AMC7135 drivers and another cheap DX driver over the last few months.
    Awesome! I just got the Luxoulree Z4 bin XD-Q! Wait... are you saying they released the Z5 bin the day after I bought it?

I really don't think you should blame the part or Battery Junction. You said yourself in the first post that this most likely happened because you wrapped it in foil.

Don't feel too bad about it, I've done much worse. Just this summer, I've fried 3 circuit boards, 4 LED's, and busted 2 Ra Clicky lights and a Longbow Micra. Sometimes when you try to make something better, you just wind up breaking it.

To lend a helping hand though, I would be willing to machine you a custom aluminum heatsink for the module if you get it fixed or replaced. The only cost to you would be shipping the light to me so that I can fit the heatsink properly. I would be willing to pay the return shipping.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
    Last edited by Tekno_Cowboy; 08-10-2009 at 06:11 PM.
    Due to my current schedule being pretty darn hectic, I will not be accepting new modding projects until things settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post

LOL, maybe csshih should buy you a new one.

It wouldn't be right to make the dealer or manufacturer replace it when you obviously damaged it by shorting it out with aluminum foil.
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Smile Re: OH CRAP! HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Tekno_Cowboy View Post
    I really don't think you should blame the part or Battery Junction. You said yourself in the first post that this most likely happened because you wrapped it in foil.

Don't feel too bad about it, I've done much worse. Just this summer, I've fried 3 circuit boards, 4 LED's, and busted 2 Ra Clicky lights and a Longbow Micra. Sometimes when you try to make something better, you just wind up breaking it.

To lend a helping hand though, I would be willing to machine you a custom aluminum heatsink for the module if you get it fixed or replaced. The only cost to you would be shipping the light to me so that I can fit the heatsink properly. I would be willing to pay the return shipping.

What a nice gesture!
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

Enlightened

Gotta love CPF!
    Nice people around all the time...good job Tekno_Cowboy.
    Last edited by Hawk600; 08-10-2009 at 07:21 PM.

very nice gesture indeed!! would it apply to 40 year olds from Singapore?? lol
    兵久而国利者,未之有也。

I am sorry this happened, but it is 50% the nature of this hobby to tinker, and every now and then, things go I would write it off as a learning experience, perhaps cry for a bit, and then I would PM Tekno and take him up on his [very gracious] offer. You've joined a community of really awesome folk, and learning is part of that experience.

its toast and you are just plain out of luck, unless the manufacturer or retailer warrants against a faulty DIY modification.

Its a crappy feeling, but youre not alone... we've all been there.

How good are you with DIY repairs? maybe you could trace the circuit and figure out what cooked. When I cooked a P60 module it was obvious the EPROM chip was burnt. I could see it charred and it really stank too. I just replaced the entire board though.

**edit**
    Oh wait a minute thats one of those little PR type drop-ins huh... I think you are out of luck. I have never seen someone take one of those apart.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 08-10-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Enlightened

And by the way OP, we know you are upset, but please stop yelling and turn the caps off.....

Quote Originally Posted by jake25 View Post
    Buy a light from China

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hyperloop View Post
    very nice gesture indeed!! would it apply to 40 year olds from Singapore?? lol
    Only if you're new to the forums, and you just fried your first upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Oh wait a minute thats one of those little PR type drop-ins huh... I think you are out of luck. I have never seen someone take one of those apart.
    I think it would be fun to take the busted one apart, just to see what makes it tick.

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post

Or we can just call him a csshihhead and be done with him. Just kidding CS.

Dude that is awesome!... How much would it be??

In this post.
    The only cost to you would be shipping the light to me so that I can fit the heatsink properly. I would be willing to pay the return shipping.

Dude that is awesome!... How much would it be??
    Norm

Thanks Norm.

In case the OP was wondering shipping price, it's hard to go wrong with USPS priority mail, their rates are pretty reasonable.

For shipping a longer Maglite, some bubble wrap and the shorter triangular box would probably work pretty well. That's what I figured I'd ship it back with.

Quote Originally Posted by jake25 View Post
    Buy a light from China
    LOL! that's where all mine came from.

...good luck with the light man!
    If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast