Ultra or Ultra G, how to tell?

x2x3x2

Banned
im planing to get the Ultra G, but how do i tell the difference between the 2? i dun wana get ripped of so if anyone has pics of the different packaging they come in it would be great. i noe u guys here are always great help, so thanks in advance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OddOne

Enlightened
Ultra G has "U.S. Government" engraved into it and doesn't include the lanyard. They SUPPOSEDLY also use handpicked LEDs for better output quality.

Otherwise theres no difference.

oO

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a link: CMG ULTRA-G at COUNTY COMM.

As far as I know they are the only retailer of the Ultra-G.
Since it is the gov't. model, it isn't going to have any retail packaging.
You will get it in the same way that gov't. would - plain packaging for lower costs.

The Ultra (commercial version) will have fancy retail packaging and will have "CMG Infinity Ultra" inscribed on it instead of "U.S. Government".

Hope this helps,
Pat

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
And also, the UltraG is type 3 hard andonized while the normal Ultra is not. This means the finish is a lot tougher on the G then the non-G. Also, the colour of the finish is different. I believe the Ultra-G is more on a dark green side while the normal Ultra is black.

Also, there is no clip on the Ultra-G model that is available on the "civilian" Ultra.

Daniel

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the Ultra (non G) is also green, but you are correct about the finish on the G being tougher. It should be HA type 3 while the normal is HA type 2 (not as tough). I should point out that from what I've seen all the civilian Ultra's are green but not a consistent shade of green. I have seen ones that are almost turquoise to ones as dark as the G model. (I don't think this is intentional but who knows.) Also like Daniel said, the G version doesn't come with the clip or the lanyard.
Here is the civilian CMG Infinity Ultra:
meridiantactical_1740_316313.jpg

and here is the CMG Infinity Ultra-G:
ULTRAG.jpg

Pat

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ever come accross an older ultra, it was a type3 anodized. later, when the G comes out, the original ultra anodizing was changed to type 2, so you will get a shinier finish if you buy the newer ultra.

x2x3x2

Banned
so do u guys recommend getting the the G or non-G version? is the fact that one uses HA 3 really give it a + over HA 2?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the fact that one uses HA 3 really give it a + over HA 2?

I would say, it really doesn't matter... Sooner or later, you're going to get scratches. My Ultra-G is already losing its anodizing around its knurling, and it's been banging heads with a knife and an ArcAAA in my pocket for about 2 months...

I'd say, for the price and what you get, the Ultra is the better light overall. I noticed a subtle difference between my own Ultra and Ultra-G, and that's that the Ultra-G has a more even, smoother beam. But even at that, I would rather vouch for the clip and lanyard of the Ultra...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
x2x3x2 said:
thanks falcon, ill b getting the regular Ultra.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have both and I clearly prefer the Ultra-G

But then that is a sample of one of each, and YMMV.

Personally I don't use either the clip or the lanyard -
I use some nylon cord and made myself a wrist loop that acts as a locator in the pocket. When I know I am going to use the Ultra-G - I dangle the wrist loop out of the pocket so extraction is quick.

This influenced me:
As with all military and government flashlights these are the made with only the best materials for the optimum performance. These LEDs are hand picked for brightness and smooth, even illumination. The body is made from a solid Billet of aluminum. This light is water resistant to 15 feet thanks to it's "O"ring seals. Housing is O.D. with TYPE III HARD ANODIZING and engraved "U.S. Government". This finish is not available on civilian models due to the added expense it would require
UNQUOTE

Frank at CountyComm has posted several times that he checks the Ultra-G before they go out.

BTW - the current "civilian" plain Ultra is closer to a (lighter) mint green color.
fcd4fcd0.jpg

Check out my comparison (linked):
CMG Ultra-G vs. Ultra

x2x3x2

Banned
gd thing i havent placed an order for the Ultra. i saw the beam comparison shot. i think a gd idea would be getting the Ultra G n one of those handphone wrist straps that comes in all sorts of colors for like 50 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I have both also. There is literally no difference between my Ultra and Ultra G as far as beam quality goes. If you want the clip, landyard, and retail packaging, get the Ultra. If you don't care and just want a light for about $1 less, get the Ultra G.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Ultra G (HA3) does wear MUCH better than my other infinities. Both Ultra beams are about the same. The easiest way to tell them apart is the Ultra G has "US GOVERNMENT" on it. Also some of the early Ultra's were also HA3. CMG wouldn't comment on that when Emailed.

alberto

Enlightened
I have an Ultra and two Ultra-Gs. The Ultra-G is a little greener green, a slight bit more shiny, comes from CountyComm in a small plastic baggie with nothing else.

Beam comparisons appear to my eye to be exactly the same - color, shape, and hotspot. Head construction is exactly the same -- "O" ring, threads, etc. The inscription is simply "U.S. Government", without the NSN as shown in a picture on one of the previous posts. I like them all.