Flashlights on a Plane (which to bring?)

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I *might* be getting a job offer at an Apple store in NH, the Genius (technician) position, I stopped off at the Salem NH store to look around and get a feel for things, while I was there, I talked to a few employees about the work environment and such, one thing I found out was people hired for the Genius positions went to Apple HQ in Cupertino for training

This means, if offered the job, I'll have to fly out to California, the last time I flew on a commercial airliner was back in the mid-eighties, I know things have changed since then, and TSA tends to make up rules on a whim, that said, I do intend to EDC at least one or two flashlights on the aircraft, I just need to know which would be the best choices

Here's the ones I'm considering and not considering....

A2 Aviator Incan- I'd love to bring this one on board with me, after all, it's made for aviation ;), however, it's got an Aviatrix ring in it (red/white), and it's basically irreplaceable, with my luck, TSA would hassle me over it, and give me a choice of either giving it up (not bloody likely) or mailing it back home, so I think it's best if it stays home

Novatac 120P- this and the A2 are my EDC lights and go everywhere I go, however,I have the same issues with the A2 as with the 120P, too expensive to be easily replaceable, and the whole "give it up or mail it back" issue would probably happen here

SF E1L-SR- an SF E2 Exec with the Seoul P4'ed KL1 head and a McGizmo reflector, a custom light, tiny, long running, pocket sized, once again, confiscation/mailing it back is a potential issue

MaxLite II Lux1- a nice, custom 1AA flashlight, potential issue with it's "tactical" appearance and pointy semi-strike-bezel and miled grip ring, no it's not the latest Überemitter, but the 1AA battery and compact size makes it convenient to bring along

Inova X5- practically indestructible, long runtime, compact design, a good, solid flashlight

EternaLight ErgoMarine- freindly yellow case, unusual flat design, runs on AA batteries, potential downside is it doesn't look like a "typical" flashlight, and could be mistaken for a detonator/remote control/....phaser type-1 ;)

Mini MagLED (3AA Lux3 or 2AA multimode Rebel); advantages-it's a Minimag, everyone, even the most brain-damaged, addled, knuckledragging TSA drone would recognize it as a flashlight, worst case scenario, if I have to give it up, it's no big loss, I could buy a replacement at my destination, I'd prefer to take the 3AA, mainly for runtime, would the extended length of the 3AA be a problem?

If I'm offered the job, and I have to go to Cupertino for training, I intend to carry two lights from the above list of contenders, which ones would likely cause the least amount of problems checking through TSA, I want one long runtime model, and one reasonably powerful model

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the job offer.

I'd think probably the Inova, and either the Surefire (swap in the original LED ring?) or the Novatac.

Regarding replacing lost luggage, Novatac has strong competition from Ra, in that they've got 20 more lumens for $40 less than the Novatac programmable. On the other hand, incan Aviators are going for $95 on the b/s/t now.

I'd not recommend the custom L1; that sounds like the hardest to replace.

Aviator (stock ring) > Novatac > Aviator (Aviatrix) > L1 custom

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
I have been through several different airports in Europe, Asia , US, Africa ect.
I usually carry my A2 and Novatac 120T - never had any problems, with the lights......

But last time in London Heathrow, they took away my tiny ball pen from my SwissCard :thinking: (had already removed the knife)
Said that it was too long, just shaked my head and went on..

lxhunter

Newly Enlightened
You should worry, somewhat.

An excerpt from an article July 2004

"Lithium batteries may represent the ultimate hazardous material, especially when shipped in bulk as cargo, with the potential to breach all defenses should they catch fire. That is the principal finding of a June report of lithium battery fire tests conducted by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Technical Center at Atlantic City, N.J."

Found this info.

http://www.ultralifebatteries.com/d...ithium_Battery_Transportation_Regulations.pdf

http://www.icao.int/anb/Fls/dangerousgoods/ICAOLithiumBatteryGuidance/ICAOLithiumBatteryGuidance.pdf

I guess less than 1g Lithium batteries are not a problem.

Lithium burns like crazy - I remember from young reckless days in school chem lab. Maybe less than 1g Lithium batteries are not a problem

I carry a printed copy of transport regulations when I travel by air, just in case the airline people are uncertain.

I would also check with your airline - see their web site for info, and print a copy of their baggage and hazardous materials rules - these may differ from the government regs. And bring a copy of that along also.

The airline folks I have encountered are all very helpful - but i cannot expect every person to know every regulation.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
i personally would bring a cheaper stock light that i can replace easily if taken away. or lost some how...X5 would be one of them that i see on ur list...and the maglites....def not the mod e1L or the maxlite coustom...

maybe ur stock novatac at the most?

soli

Newly Enlightened
Which flashlight is anti-snake? I forget............... :nana:

I'd be more concerned about a zombie outbreak ;)

Not too familiar with what TSA are up to these days, but in europe, as long as it's not too malicious looking (crenelated bezel) there should be no issues. Having said that, I'd probably make do with ones I wouldn't mind losing.

You could always treat your self, to a present of a flashlight for getting the new job, when you get to Cupertino if you want something better to use on the ground (check it on the way back).

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations on the job offer! I work for Apple and you will be very happy with us!

I have not had any problem taking flashlights on an airplane. Never had the TSA say anything about what kind of battery they were using - they were more concerned with me proving that it was actually a flashlight by turning it on.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck on the job offer.
You will not have any TSA issues with any non-spiky EDC flashlight and a couple of batteries, lithium or not. I will suggest you take your most reliable, discreet EDC, and have a backup light with multiple battery options like CR123 and AA, like a Fenix. That way, you can use batteries intended for your primary light if it fails, and in a real extended situation, have options for power. I'll be going to NYC soon, and they did have a major power failure in 2003. One might need a few long nights of light! Two EDCs and a couple of batteries is hardly any extra space or weight.

I HAVE gotten the major TSA stink-eye by having a Swiss-Tech tool on my keys - specifically chosen because it has no blades and fully meets TSA regs. A supervisor had to confirm this. Also I once brought 5 pounds of beef jerky in my carryon, and got the major evil eye/multiple X-ray passes/wipedown for residue on my hands, etc. Then they let me pass without even asking what it was or opening my bag.

BSBG

Enlightened
This has been discussed to death in several threads, but not lately ;).

I fly a lot, and never, ever has TSA asked about a flashlight. Stick it in your carryon, run it through the X ray and be on your way.

In MHT they ask you more about your wallet (for some unknown reason) and in SJC they don't ask about anything.

seale_navy

Enlightened
I dont think u ll have a problem with the TSA though with the surefire A2 and Novatac.

They pose not threat at all. I went thru London Heathrow with my Pelican M6, Maglite 2AA, Pelican Mitylite 3N LED, with no question asked. I have like 10 AA alkaline batteries, few sets of cr123a lithium batteries, NIMH Energizer AA batteries as well.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I flew to israel at the end of May, security is really tight and it began from transit in frankfurt but their security guys did not bat an eyelid at my Jet 1, Fenix LD01 and Ultrafire WF-502B with MC-E drop in, my spare cells however, were checked in.

One2gofst

Newly Enlightened
I used to fly every week. Thanks fully no longer. However I just got back from Key West. Here is what I brought (and have flown with in my carry on countless times before) Surefire A2 Aviator, Surefire C2 Centurion w/crenelated bezel, Inova X5, Fenix E01, Nitecore D20, Inova X1.

Not even so much as a glance at my lights.

YMMV, of course, but I'd not worry about the safety of any lights on your person or carry on.