I need help with a rugged hike

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
I'm training for a rugged hike which will most likely include some moderate climbing. While I get my body in shape for the high altitude excursion, I'm finalizing my backpack list. I need help picking out a rugged light, 2 at most (conserving weight, every ounce counts up at high altitudes).

Can you please suggest 2 lights to take with the following requirements:

1. Rugged enough to survive extreme conditions. I'm not talking about a wimpy 4ft fall, I mean some rugged hiking/climbing banging around type.

2. Waterproof. I'll be crossing waist high streams and it may take a dunk.

3. At least one light must last 4-5 hours or more

4. Size and weight is a consideration. For instance a PT Surge is way too HUGE for this trip. Too much weight and size. I'd rather use the space to pack an MSR MiniWorks.

I was thinking Inova X5t (Long runtime) and SurFire G2 (More Throw).
I'm not worried about the X5t, but how will the G2 hold up to being ground into the dirt, dunked into water and banged around? Thank you in advance, I appreciate your input.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into an E2e, and run it off of its low output lamp. You can get 2.5 hours out of it, with excellent throw.

You can also get a KL1 with that E2e for 4+ hours of runtime.

Take a look into some of the smaller Princeton Tech or Underwater Kenetics lights, as they are waterproof, and are pretty well built (ABS plastic)...

Or, you can also take with you a CMG Infinity Ultra that would last you about 20 hours on a single AA batt...

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
I forgot about the E2e/KL1 combo. Will it hold up to severe banging around against some rocks? One person usually freeclimbs up, and all the gear is hauled up and everything gets banged up pretty good. All my gear has severe dings, scrapes etc.

Is the E2e waterproof?

What is a CMG Infinity Ultra?

Thank you for your input.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2e's pretty much indestructible... The body will probably survive a direct gunshot (don't hold me to that, I just believe it's that strong)...

I have an older model, an E2, and it leaked at the bezel (lens) when left overnight in 2 feet deep water (in tub)... The newer model (E2e) should not have this problem, and should be waterproof for waddling across a river... Besides, even when it leaked, my E2 light worked perfectly fine...

A CMG Infinity Ultra is this:
ULTRAG.jpg

--pic from CountyComm

It is a 1 AA based LED light that puts out about 28 lux (which is more than enough to get you by in wooded forest darkness), and will last you a little more than 20+ hours on a single battery. It's quite rugged as well, and will more than survive a drop down a cliff or ravine...

The one thing I will say is: incandescent lights with their filament bulbs may not take to a beating too well. You may find that if you abuse your light too much (thrown against a wall, dropped down a cliff, used as a hammer, etc), the bulb might break... In this case, an LED-based light's probably your ticket...

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
I was kinda wanting to take 2 lights that use the same batteries, lessening the amount of extra batteries needed. So with the CMG, I would need another AA based light. Is there a good AA based Incandescent?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can check out a Princeton Tech 40, that also uses AAs (4 of them), is waterproof to 2000 feet, and is very impact-resistant, small, and runs for 3-5 hours...

pritec40.jpg

---pic from Brightguy

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also check out the Underwater Kenetics 4AA:
und4aays.jpg

And just to stir the pot more, the Streamlight 3AA TwinTask:
STR51003.jpg

It has 2 lights in one body... The LEDs can be used for general purpose, and the Xenon used for longer reach purposes... 2.6 hours runtime with the Xenon, and 80 hours with the LEDs... On 3AA batts...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
And just for one last kick:

SureFire A2:
las12hawh.jpg

2 lights in one, similar to the Streamlight TwinTasks, but with a regulated (meaning constant brightness for the duration of the life of the battery, not a tapering off brightness that dims with time) xenon bulb... Runtime's about 1 hour on the xenon and 15 hours on the LED, and runs off of 2x CR123s... Body's quite rugged and should survive a dunk in the river...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I feel like a salesman...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd go with the cmg infinity and uke4AA. both are cheap, rugged, and use the same type of batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can vouch for the Infinity Ultras resistance to banging around. Mine gets banged up against heavy road cases all the time and has never shown any sign of failure. It's a good idea to stick with AA based lights (so you only have to carry one type of spare) although you might want to carry Lithium AA's if you will be in cold weather.

If you are worried about equipment getting abused you can always put stuff in an Otterbox for protection.

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
For the LED light, I have suggested before and it kinda gets passed to the back burner, would be the Streamlight 4AA 7 LED (Brightguy price is around 24 bucks). The light is waterproof. I actually play fetch with my German Sheppard in my back yard with it (hits sidewalks, picnic table, and a fence) and still working. This light has been on the AT in New Hampshire with me and will proably bring it to Mount Washington (3rd time) this summer along with my Arc AA TSP. As for the Infinity ultra, I actually have it attached to my pack via a small d-ring. The light is plenty bright for tent lighting and general campsite needs. As for the Incandescent, I can't suggest any because I only bring LED's based light while hiking. Goos luck.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you will be out overnight and camping, you would be much better served by including a headlamp. There are many good choices, but two of my favorites are the PT Aurora and the Photon Fusion. These will work for your close-range, long-endurance light. Add a Tec 40 or something if you really want a spotlight.

hirby

Newly Enlightened
You need to specify, where you will be going and the conditions you are expecting. If you are going to be in some super remote place, you will want to make sure that whatever batteries you are going to use are available. If it will be super cold, you might want lithium batteries. If you are doing super high ascents, very-high impact resistance is less a concern than a good way to attach the flashlight to yourself, since you "wont" be going to retrieve your flashlight that just fell down a cliff whether it stays lit or not. Are you expecting to mostly "sleep/camp" at night or is this like a 24 hour type race where you "need" light continuously? How long are you expecting to be out in the wilderness?

If you are to be in super densely forested type areas, long throw flashlights don't help much. If you can't see or find your partners with even weaker flashlights, you are probably seperated and lost. If it is dark and trecherous (sp?) ground and you can barely make out the other side of some dangerous area with a medium throw flashlight, it is better to to wait until daytime anyway. If you need to use your hands for other things like climbing/roping, then a head mount is a good idea.

Shorter-throw, wider, and long lasting flashlights are more useful for the person doing the hiking. Long-tight throw, short-lived flashlight are better for the rescuers. Plastic is lighter than Aluminum flashlights in general. The lead person is the only one who will really be "using" a light if you are humping it at night. The lead should be choosing good ground and calling out any bad areas so everyone else's light requirements are minimized. The most anyone else will be doing following the leads light and path and a maybe map/compass reading occasionally "if humping at night".

I would suggest at MAX for normal temperate climate hiking:
1. One head mount (if needed) long run time LED flashlight with 2-6 LED's and whatever batteries you decide on.
2. one long lasting, tough, general purpose multi (7+) LED flashlight that uses easy to find batteries (AA, C, or D). If an impact knocks one LED, the others still work, with just a bit less light. I'm a fan of the 3C Tektites as I know how tough and waterproof they are and the light output/time is outstanding.
3. A couple/three of Photon type keyring lights attached to zippers on your clothing for everything else.
4. Bring enough calculated battery power for 3 hours of continuous usage per 24-hour day for your "main" light and 1 hour of continuous usage a day for backup light. This assumes 8 hours of darkness per night. So a 7 day trek would require 21 hours of continuous usage for your main light as a minimum and 7 hours run-time minimum with your backup light. Assuming you are camping/sleeping at night, this will be more than you need especially since most flashlight usage at night is intermittant.

You don't need more than this. Your partners (who should also have brought lights and batteries), should be your backup past this. If you are "lost" and alone, nighttime should generally be used for shelter/sleep time anyway as wandering around at night in the forest with a flashlight is pretty futile. Any more "light" than this is just deadweight normally.

obeck

Newly Enlightened
Same batteries, lots of throw, lots of runtime, light weight.

If it were me, then the choice would be clear:

For bright and throw: an ARC LS with 2AA tsp or BB400/Minimag (about 4.5 oz)
For long run time : Infinity Ultra (2oz)

Personally, I'd drop the battery requirement and go with an Arc Seconds/123TSP and the CMG Infinity Ultra take one spare battery for each. In fact, I am going on a 7 day bike camp/tour and that is *exactly* what I am taking.

Noah Monk

Newly Enlightened
If you are in rough terrain in darkness, it is essential to have a headlamp. I'd go with a lightweight LED headlamp for long life proximity light and a compact high-throw flashlight for route finding.

Best combo IMO would be a PT Aurora combined with a UK 2L (or other 2 x CR123 light - perhaps SF e2e HA)

nm

P.S. If you can take the weight, the new "pro" version of the BD Moonlight is another option. A bit bulky, but lasts forever! Not sure it's available yet...

bwcaw

Enlightened
If you want a long throw light weight light go for one of the two cell surefire's. The e2e is the smallest of the bunch, and is awfully nice in the woods at night. It has a nice wide beam (compared to the pt tec 40) and throws farther with about half the size/weight of the tec 40. Take an e2e, and a headlamp and you will be set. The Photon Fusion is a nice headlamp, it is water resistant (should withstand a dunking, and it runs a LONG time on those three AA batteries.

For spare batteries, take three aa's for the Photon, and I don't think you would need batteries for the e2e, since you would mainly be using it for spotting landmarks, and "seeing what that noise is" Also, for back up, take along at least one arc AAA, prefferably a turqoise model. I have found that the turqoise is the one of the best lights for maneuvering at night in a dark forest. You can get all three of these lights at a good price at TTS All three of these light will take a beating, and keep working.

FYI the run times on these lights are:
Photon Fusion: 30 hours on low beam
Arc aaa: 5 hours
E2e:1 hour with the HOLA, 2.5 with the LOLA

That would give you 36 hours of light if the lights were used one at a time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Wow, so many responses. Thank you all. I'm a bit confused with some lights and acronyms I don't understand! Still trying to absorb all the information.

I see that the CMG is recommended alot. I'll try it out. I'll check out all the AA based lights you guys suggested since the CMG is AA.

INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
I just took a trip into Idaho for a few days and I took my Responder
2575.gif
with an EveLed http://www.ledsupply.com/evflbu.html in it and the stock lamp for back up (not needed but you never know). I found that the run time was great (maybe 10 to 15 hours?)even with the Nimh batteries. The stock lamps cost half of what the Kenetics lamps run. I used the Responder for caving (something brighter needed really but it worked well), fishing at nights and found that with the stock lamp it over shines my trucks lights on the road ahead of me. The EverLed cuts the throw and brightness but never the less a great flashlight for the money.
I would also suggest the Infinty Ultra or Ultra G
cmg-inf-ultra_sm.jpg
Built like a little tank with a great run time and they are waterproof as well, just like the Responder (100ft with the Responder and 30ft. with the Ultra).
P.S. Be very careful with your polarity and the EverLed if this is your choice. Besides this I think you will not do much better for the money.

markus_i

Enlightened
I'd second chamenos' recommendation - UKE 4AA and Infinity (Ultra) and throw in a headstrap (e.g. night-ize) which can be used for either of them.
At least that's what I use, mainly as backup for cycling, and the UKE gets quite a beating, being thrown around in my bike bag (and still works, although I had to polish the lens a few months ago).

Bye
Markus