Shocker? Olight with SST 90...what to expect from these?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=198402

I have no idea what these SST LEDS are...suddenly I see SST 50, 90, and 100...pouring out like a swarm of bees...trashing all our patient research and sending us back to doing our homework again. Do they run cool? Use less power? Can they put out 500 lumen from a 18650 batt? Brighter than the MC-E`s lights I`ve been hoping to get my hands on soon? How do they compare to the...what is it called...the XR-P we keep hearing about? Is 200 lumen finally out to the graveyard...500 the new minimum standard...so to speak?

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight with SST 90...what to expect from these?

Those monsters are from Luminus :

http://www.luminus.com/

The SST-90 can put out 2.250 Lumen at 9A, does that sound cool? No iea, how cool it'll be at the about 1.000 Lumens of the Intimidator and no idea as well about the SST-50, which can go up to 1.250 Lumen.

On the other hand, 1.2 hours runtime at 500 Lumen are about the same my L4 runs with the LuxeonV at 100 Lumen. As the M20 is bigger, it should stay cooler if my non-scientific theory works.

The Intimidator will however be a monster, bigger than the M30, this head looks like 50mm minimum...

I'm curious and sceptic about those lights as well! :popcorn:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

it seems as though olight has just came sprinting out of the gate to unload these new LEDs on us flashaholics. good for them... bad for the competition. its a great day for us olight fans.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

it seems as though olight has just came sprinting out of the gate to unload these new LEDs on us flashaholics. good for them... bad for the competition. its a great day for us olight fans.

Bad for the competition? Why that? Can't other manufacturers get the Luminus and use them?

How great the day is for us Olight fans we'll see when the flashlights are available and we'll know for sure when other lights with these LEDs will eventually be available and tested.

Those LEDs are big and powerhungry. I'm not sure at this stage that they really are what I am looking for... :thinking:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened

they ARE what i'm looking for, i have an underdriven sst-90 in my 6P and its awesome!lovecpf

wapkil

Enlightened

Heh, I haven't yet found an MC-E light that I would like to buy and now MC-E LEDs start to look obsolete :D The future seems bright ;)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those monsters are from Luminus :

http://www.luminus.com/

The SST-90 can put out 2.250 Lumen at 9A, does that sound cool? No iea, how cool it'll be at the about 1.000 Lumens of the Intimidator and no idea as well about the SST-50, which can go up to 1.250 Lumen.

On the other hand, 1.2 hours runtime at 500 Lumen are about the same my L4 runs with the LuxeonV at 100 Lumen. As the M20 is bigger, it should stay cooler if my non-scientific theory works.

The Intimidator will however be a monster, bigger than the M30, this head looks like 50mm minimum...

I'm curious and sceptic about those lights as well! :popcorn:

The SST 90 and SST 50 have already been tested in a real IS Sphere in Mag builds and P60 drop-in builds by Nailbender. The builds were by Nailbender and the IS Sphere is MrGman's calibrated Sphere.

SST 90 Mag build = 1455 lumens out the front, but 750ish after 3 minutes. This is with 9A of current.

In a P60 drop-in the design is still being perfected also the 9A of current is not as good as the lumnes obtained from running the SST 90 at 5A.

bigchelis

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

One question might be:

ZZZZ flashlight uses a MC-E and puts out 500 lumen

ZZZZ flashlight uses a SST and puts out 500 lumen

Same driver...same batt...same lumen...same everything....but the emitters are diff.

Which one will use less power...batt run longer?

Will one run cooler than the other?

Will one throw further...have a smaller die...or better dispertion (speeling?) pattern?

It might not be a matter of which one can simple handle more amps and therefore be brighter. I don`t want to drag my car battery out to run it. Or have to stick 8 18650`s in there, I want small...1 18650. Which is better?

Edit: sorry...way more than one question.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing to think about is does 9A really mean more lumens or just more heat and wasted power?????????

wapkil

Enlightened

Another thing to think about is does 9A really mean more lumens or just more heat and wasted power?????????

I doubt it anyone in a "normal" sized light will be using these LEDs @ 9A - it would be >30W...

One question might be:

ZZZZ flashlight uses a MC-E and puts out 500 lumen

ZZZZ flashlight uses a SST and puts out 500 lumen

Same driver...same batt...same lumen...same everything....but the emitters are diff.

Which one will use less power...batt run longer?

Will one run cooler than the other?

Will one throw further...have a smaller die...or better dispertion (speeling?) pattern?

It might not be a matter of which one can simple handle more amps and therefore be brighter. I don`t want to drag my car battery out to run it. Or have to stick 8 18650`s in there, I want small...1 18650. Which is better?

Edit: sorry...way more than one question.

I think an SST would be driven harder than to 500 LED lumens but from a quick look at the charts:

SST would need [email protected] ~= 4W
MCE would need [email protected] ~= 6W

Both dies are large so none will be a good thrower. SST is 9mm^2 haven't checked MC-E. SST is monolithic so there will be no "cross" inside the beam.

Luminus advertises that SST has only 0.64K/W thermal resistance, for MC-E it is 3K/W.

These are only the values from the specification. I'm sure someone with practical experience in using these LEDs will be able to tell more (or correct me).

EDIT: the lumen values depend on the performance bin, I took AFAIK the highest - an M MC-E and a WN SST
EDIT2: the comparison results also highly depend on how hard the emitter is driven, for higher currents SST should turn out even better

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i think mrgman did some tests and got around 1400 lumens at 9 amps and 1100 at 5A, it looks like you need active cooling to get the 2250 without losing too many lumens to heat, not sure what bin tho

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wapkil, Thank you. But I must admit I need that translated for me. Can you or anyone, put that in terms I can understand better? Which one do you feel would be better in a flashlight at 500 lumen? And maybe 200, 100, 50, 20, 10, and 2 lumen....would it run longer than say a R2 at the lower levels off a given batt...say 1 18650?

Last edited:

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic

JETbeam announced their RRT-III last week with a SST90 LED and others will follow very soon lovecpf Correction JETbeam didnt announce it, a member here did, thanks

Last edited:

wapkil

Enlightened
Wapkil, Thank you. But I must admit I need that translated for me. Can you put that in terms I can understand better? Which one do you feel would be better in a flashlight at 500 lumen? And maybe 200 lumen.

At 500lm I think the SST-90 would be better. It has a higher efficacy (more lm/W) and a lower thermal resistance (i.e. from the LED itself the heat can flow easier). Without the cross that is present in multi-die LEDs ,the SST-90 should have also a bit nicer beam. I don't know how they compare if you want to see how they (poorly) throw.

This is based only on what I saw in the specifications. They are advertising the best parts and can be hiding something that I haven't noticed. I would wait for someone with more experience to judge.

For 200lm I cannot tell - the graphs in the SST-90 datasheet start at ~500lm :)

romteb

Enlightened
Do we know what bin sst-90 MrGman tested ?

If we dont there is little to be deduced about the measurment the lowest flux bin being almost half the lumens output of the highest.

I'm not trying to belittle MrGman tremendous effort to publish all those lumens numbers for our delight, it is so gracious of him, and i actually dont know if the bin has been mentionned, but in every topic about this new led and the performance people get with it, no one seem to care about the flux bin, i just dont get it.

wapkil

Enlightened
I'm not trying to belittle MrGman tremendous effort to publish all those lumens numbers for our delight, it is so gracious of him, and i actually dont know if the bin has been mentionned, but in every topic about this new led and the performance people get with it, no one seem to care about the flux bin, i just dont get it.

That's a good point. In my comparison here, as I wrote, I took what I think is the best performance bin for both LEDs. I believe it's a fair comparison of what can be achieved with them. Of course if two flashlights were compared, one using a good bin and the other inferior one, the results may be completely different, but it is true even when comparing two lights with MC-Es in both :)

BTW, I hope that in practice we wouldn't be comparing different flashlights with the same output, as I did here, but instead for SST we would have higher outputs than for MC-Es (for a short time, if much higher) and a higher efficiency in lower modes.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this one have nice regulation and runtime.

Seriously, who needs more than 1000 lumens? If these lights drive the led at recommended power to obtain maximun efficiency, I'm in.