Combo twisty & clicky tailswitch?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
After playing with my LX2 I just recieved yesterday, it occured to me that while I like the 2-stage twisty (push a little for low, push all the way for high) switch it has, I also like the good old fashioned clicky for most of my uses. What I'd like to see, is a switch that would still have the momentary for both high and low, but when you push all the way in, it clicks and stays in high mode.

So in other words, it would be just like the current switch on the LX2, but would click on high when pressed all the way in. It would act the same as the current LX2 switch when using low mode. (press a little or twist a little for low)

What do you guys think? Does a switch like this already exist?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's what Surefire did with the 2-mode E1L and E2L and E2DL.

It's just a forward clickie, and uses the circuit to change modes.

I'm not too sure they could actually make a switch like you described. :thinking:

xenonk

Enlightened
Hmm...

Resistor in the tailcap for low mode, a small section of un-anodized threads and a springed contact plate with a second conduction path when sufficiently compressed.

Push lightly to press the plate into contact, or twist until the un-anodized threads are reached to close the circuit through the resistor. Push harder or tighten down to make a second connection that bypasses the resistor. Include a clicky latch so pushing a bit past high mode pressure latches the switch on for continuous high mode.

Or I suppose you could use the second path for signaling a driver in the head instead of putting a current limiter on the first.

Sounds way too complicated and failure prone for a switching mechanism, though.

Last edited: