LX2/A2L TailCap "oddities"?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone who has the Surefire LX2 has noticed a couple things I have.

I put the switch right next to my ear, and slowly pushed the switch all the way in to high mode. As it was going into high mode, I heard a faint electrical zapping coming from the switch. When it was finally pressed all the way in, the zapping stopped. The same thing happened when I slowly twisted the tailcap and engaged the high mode. It zapped until the tailcap switch was fully tightened.

This made me wonder if there was a problem with the switch, so I checked my Surefire L1 with the same style switch, and it was silent through all modes. I then swapped tailcap switches between the two lights. The L1 tailcap switch made the same sound as the new LX2 switch when on the LX2 body. The LX2 switch was silent on the L1 body.

So I concluded that the noise must just be the amount of current going through the switch, and since both switches made the noise when on the LX2, and not when on the L1, the switches are ok.

Anyone else notice this zapping noise?

I also notice that the lanyard ring around the tailcap is significantly looser than the one on my L1. The L1 lanyard ring requires deliberately pushing it to get it to rotate around the tailcap, while the LX2 lanyard ring rotates around freely (too freely?) Is there any danger of it coming apart and falling off?

Other things I notice: In the other LX2 thread some people are commenting on the mismatching of the annodizing. For the record, mine is pretty mismatched. The body is dark, while the tail is lighter and the head has two different lighter shades. It doesn't bother me at all. I'm not yet sure how I feel about the clip. Once my Maxpedition holster arrives, I'll have a better idea of how well the clip works for me.
The beam is just about the perfect white tint, just a little bit whiter (cooler) than my E2DL. My LX2 is just a tad brighter than my E2DL when used inside, but when outside, they seem almost the same. I think that could be just due to the whiter tint being more noticable when indoors looking at white walls.
I really like this light.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LX2 "oddities"?

The tailcaps on my LX2, A2L and A2 all have this 'sparking'... I believe it is normal.

It seems that the lanyard rings on the newly produced LX2 and A2L's have this free-spin problem, I mentioned it in my review... Ie. the later batch of tailcaps (which are the same model) that are on the A2L and newer LX2's have this 'issue' if that is what you wish to call it.

More feedback from people with LX2's from the 'second batch' would be awesome!

Size15's

Flashaholic
If this thread is specifically about the LX2 we can merge it with the well-established ongoing discussion thread.
However, it seems more specific to the two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap used by the A2/L2 and A2L/LX2 with the phenomenon having been 'discovered' the first time round with the A2 and L2 and now 're-discovered' with the LX2 and A2L...
Given the pedigree of this switch design I'd say there was nothing to be concerned about at all :)

Edit: I've updated the thread title to better reflect the nature of the discussion given that it's not LX2 specific.

As for the Z60 Lanyard Ring observations - I wonder whether it is the Z60 Lanyard Ring or the newly styled LX2/A2L TailCap?
I don't have a 'current' Z60 and at the moment I'm not able to remove an older one from any of my lights to swap them around to the LX2 or A2L.

I suspect that the channel in which the Z60 Lanyard Ring locates is less tight on the new style TailCap rather than the Z60 being re-designed to allow it to rotate more freely.

Perhaps somebody will care to experiment, perhaps even do a pull-test with a Newton meter to see whether there is any significant difference in when they breakaway?

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
I received a 'second batch' LX2 today and one of the first things I noticed was the electrical current sound in the tailcap. When pressing, I hear the buzzing. Once depressed all the way, it seems to be gone, until I slowly let go again. My E2DL has the same buzzing noise when I press the switch for momentary on as well.

The lanyard ring on the LX2 is loose as well.

So I guess these things are normal.

Last edited:

computernut

Enlightened
I've noticed some noise occasionally with both my A2 and L1. It must be a thing with the two-stage twisty. I haven't noticed it on my E2E and E2L but they are clicky so perhaps you don't hear the noise over the "click".

gsxrac

Enlightened
I've got the same issues with my LX2 TC. And it also flickers on and off when twisting from low to high.

Machete God

Enlightened
I... As for the Z60 Lanyard Ring observations - I wonder whether it is the Z60 Lanyard Ring or the newly styled LX2/A2L TailCap?
I don't have a 'current' Z60 and at the moment I'm not able to remove an older one from any of my lights to swap them around to the LX2 or A2L.

I suspect that the channel in which the Z60 Lanyard Ring locates is less tight on the new style TailCap rather than the Z60 being re-designed to allow it to rotate more freely.

Perhaps somebody will care to experiment, perhaps even do a pull-test with a Newton meter to see whether there is any significant difference in when they breakaway?
A bit o' necromancy here. I stumbled on this thread and see that this question was unanswered, so I'll share my experience to see if it sheds any light.

I obtained an LX2 earlier this year and didn't quite like the free spinning Z60 ring on it, so decided to try a swap with the Z60 ring from my A2-HA-YG, which did not spin freely (consistent with all other older Z60 rings I've experienced). After the swap, I ended up with both A2 and LX2 having non-free spinning lanyard rings. This would seem to suggest that it is a combination of a redesigned Z60 ring and a redesigned channel, but I tried the lanyard ring from my AZ2-S on my A2-HA-WH and it spun freely. Not sure if my observations can conclusively prove that the Z60 ring has now been redesigned to be able to spin freely, but it appears to suggest that to me :)

Latest posts