Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back odditities

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
SpikeTV is rerunning the original trilogy this week and I had a funny observation. Why does'nt Yoda and R2D2 recognize eachother when Luke crash-lands and sets up his (Luke's) campsite on Degoba and R2 tries to take back Luke's "lamp" from Yoda when he and Luke meets Yoda for the first time? R2D2 was (in the past, episodes 1-3) property of Aniken Skywalker and becomes Luke's R-2 once he and Uncle Owen buys him from the Sand People in episode IV, A New Hope. Weird, huh?

Maybe Jedi long term memory suffers due to age. Or was R-2's memory errased? Dunno :huh:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy (alien?)'s 900 years old for gosh sakes'. I'm sure your memory would be wonky too, if you had been living by yourself on a jungle planet for the last 18 years. ;)
But , yeah, good movies. I always thought it was funny that the special effects in the original trilogy were better than the first two movies in the new "first" trilogy. Funny stuff...

Patriot

Flashaholic
R2 did take a nasty hit to the head via the heavy blasters from an Imperial TIE-fighter at the end of the movie. :popcorn:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
From left to right: Han Solo, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, R2D2, Luke Skywalker.

StarWarsCast.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How come Luke Skywalker has no idea what Yoda looks like when he goes to look for him, even though he is a great warrior who is over 900 years old? Even John Connor gave Reese a photo of his mom when he sent him to protect her.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow Mark Hamil is short as far as actors go!

my fav star wars is still Phantom Menace :cool:

anyway, Im guessing, its something the never bothered to ret-con.
Then again, DOES R2D2 ever actually meet yoda? sure they have been in the same general group, but as far as i can remember, from Ep1 Ep2 which i have watched the most, the never actually meet. my Ep3 memory is a bit fuzzy.

Luke has no idea what yoda looks like, because the Jedi are "dead" in the original trilogy and so are thier customs and ways. I doubt he even KNEW what a jedi was until he met Obi-wan "Ben" Kenobi. and Obi-wan has no pictures of him, and I assume the Empire quashed all rements of jedi teachings, much in the way any Totalitarian state would. Im sure yoda isnt a name widely known beyond the emperor, darth vader, obiwan and perhaps a few other people left over from the clone wars.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
Because by then, Yoda had gone mad from the heat. As for R2D2, noone really understands what he is saying anyway, they just play along.

Patriot

Flashaholic
There are so many inconsistencies and illogical oddities where does one even start. I just sat down a few minutes ago to eat dinner and the movie was playing on Spike TV. The first thing I thought of was why don't Jedi's carry a back up light saber? What can the things weight anyhow, 16-20 ounces? It just seems strange that they wouldn't carry either a back up saber or other weapons. The Samaria carried the wakizashi and tanto among other weapons. If anyone needed a back up it would be a Jedi since they're constantly dropping or becoming separated from them. :shakehead Why wouldn't a Jedi also be the master of the "blaster" like Han Solo? :)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are so many inconsistencies and illogical oddities where does one even start. I just sat down a few minutes ago to eat dinner and the movie was playing on Spike TV. The first thing I thought of was why don't Jedi's carry a back up light saber? What can the things weight anyhow, 16-20 ounces? It just seems strange that they wouldn't carry either a back up saber or other weapons. The Samaria carried the wakizashi and tanto among other weapons. If anyone needed a back up it would be a Jedi since they're constantly dropping or becoming separated from them. :shakehead Why wouldn't a Jedi also be the master of the "blaster" like Han Solo? :)

They can always use the force to pickup their light saber. :)

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a simpler train of thought:

Maybe, since there were probably billions or trillions of the R2-D2 model made, Yoda wouldn't notice or care if he came across one along the way.

Flashlight Enthusiast
SpikeTV is rerunning the original trilogy this week and I had a funny observation. Why does'nt Yoda and R2D2 recognize eachother when Luke crash-lands and sets up his (Luke's) campsite on Degoba and R2 tries to take back Luke's "lamp" from Yoda when he and Luke meets Yoda for the first time? R2D2 was (in the past, episodes 1-3) property of Aniken Skywalker and becomes Luke's R-2 once he and Uncle Owen buys him from the Sand People in episode IV, A New Hope. Weird, huh?

Maybe Jedi long term memory suffers due to age. Or was R-2's memory errased? Dunno :huh:

In the end of Revenge of the Sith R2 and Threepio's memory gets wiped, so that if they are caught they will have no memory of both luke and leia being born. As far as Yoda knowing R2 i don't know, but the original trilogy was made long before the new trilogy was, so i doubt that Yoda knowing him was something they were planning.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

my guess is that the lightsaber is not only a weapon, its like, a sacred object of sorts, which is why they dont just lose them, and keep making new ones. also why they dont make them en masse. So, im guessing carrying a "spare" is poor form
there is however, a light saber form that uses two blades,a short and a long one to duel. Anikan uses this form against dooku, albiet with two normal lightsabers.

Anikan is really the only clumsy jedi that keeps losing his lightsaber, other jedi usually keep thiers for thier whole life. Also, the crystals that the jedi use are kind of rare, so maybe thats why.

as for why a lightsaber over blaster

"its a graceful weapon, from a more civilised age. Not as Clumsy or random as a blaster"

i paraphrase Obi-wan kenobi

i think WAYYY too much about these things...

Crenshaw

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know what type of "torch" R2D2 had. Pretty bright and at least water resistant. Holographic too! Ha (R2 bin?) ha!

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
Anikan is really the only clumsy jedi that keeps losing his lightsaber, other jedi usually keep thiers for thier whole life. Also, the crystals that the jedi use are kind of rare, so maybe thats why.

Right, he should really consider a lanyard. Or maybe grip tape.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
my guess is that the lightsaber is not only a weapon, its like, a sacred object of sorts, which is why they dont just lose them, and keep making new ones. also why they dont make them en masse. So, im guessing carrying a "spare" is poor form
there is however, a light saber form that uses two blades,a short and a long one to duel. Anikan uses this form against dooku, albiet with two normal lightsabers.

as for why a lightsaber over blaster

"its a graceful weapon, from a more civilised age. Not as Clumsy or random as a blaster"

i paraphrase Obi-wan kenobi

i think WAYYY too much about these things...

Crenshaw
Maybe they couldn't get R2 bins either? :laughing: