options? ultra-compact, 1 handed light.

MattInTheCouv

Newly Enlightened
So there were a couple threads that were sorta close to this when i searched. But nothing was exactly what i was looking for, and the most recent one was over a yeard old. I figured that would make it ok for me to make a new thread.

requirements:

-must be able to be operated 1-handed, so no twisty actions!

-must be really compact and very pocketable, like the maratac or microstream

-output must be at least decent. i don't expect hundreds of lumens, but more than 30 or so would be nice.

-if it has multiple modes, it has to be idiot-proof, as in no accidental changes in mode or output by accidentally double-tapping the on-button or something

-has to be somewhat durable. drop-proof, pocket lint-proof.

is there anything out there? i'm very not-experienced with this market segment, so i'm hoping you folks can help me out. if you were interested, this will be riding in my pocket as an EDC companion to my ruger LCP

xenonk

Enlightened
must be able to be operated 1-handed, so no twisty actions!
I haven't had any trouble activating most of the twisty AAAs I've used one-handed.

Even the slippery Aurora R2 from DX. That one will also do momentary on if you squeeze the head against the body while unscrewed a fraction of a turn. Not sure about its durability, though.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
-if it has multiple modes, it has to be idiot-proof, as in no accidental changes in mode or output by accidentally double-tapping the on-button or something

That pretty much omits most lights unless it's a twisty, single-mode or selector ring switch. Even Surefire's two stage tail cap is not an option since you don't wish to "accidentally" switch to hi by depressing further. :thinking:
Unless you want to reconsider this requirement? Lots of choices with multimodes these days and most via tapping on switches.

loanshark

Enlightened
Sounds like a fenix L1T to me... It's a bit bigger than a microstream I'm afraid, but more capable as well.

jankj

Enlightened
The closest thing to your requriement I can think of is the single output romisen lights from Shiningbeam.com. Of course you sacrifice runtime for a decently bright, single mode output. Romisen are available in your preferred battery configuration (AA, CR123 etc). Romisen appears to be one of the few cheap flashlights that can be trusted, but my experience is limited (I keep the 1*AA model in my car, but it hasn't really been abused, so I can't really tell fror sure how much it will take). My judgement is that it will stand up to the abuse of living in your pocket, but don't take my word for it, as I really haven't put it to the test. Search for romisen at cpf and read the reviews...

But around $20... you may as well buy one, test it in everyday use and tell us how it works out.

Or I'm sure there are some single stage surefire lights that meet your requirements .... at the oposite end of the price range.

I respect your preference for a no fuss, keep it simple interface, so I won't advocate the benefits of multi mode lights.

MattInTheCouv

Newly Enlightened
actually, the surefire 2-stage would be ok. basically my desire to have a simple UI is so that in a higher stress situation the light cannot accidentally be sent into a lower output mode, or a strobing mode if not desired. panic pressing to the 'high' output is not a concern. but which surefire's fit the description of ultra-compact? length isn't as much a concern as circumference, as it's probably going to be pocket clipped in like a pen

MattInTheCouv

Newly Enlightened
oh.. and the l1t was a good recommendation. while looking at it i came across the l1tv2 which seems a good option a well. the operation description said that the 2 different brightnesses were engaged by head twisting... does this hold true for both the normal and v2 l1t's? and do the lights 'remember' their last settings? or if it comes on at high everytime, and must be manipulated to get low output, that would be kosher too, for my application

Last edited:

xenonk

Enlightened
oh.. and the l1t was a good recommendation. while looking at it i came across the l1tv2 which seems a good option a well. the operation description said that the 2 different brightnesses were engaged by head twisting... does this hold true for both the normal and v2 l1t's? and do the lights 'remember' their last settings? or if it comes on at high everytime, and must be manipulated to get low output, that would be kosher too, for my application
v2 behaves the same, but has a Luxeon Rebel or Cree XR-E instead of the older Luxeon III.

It's not memory so much as a physical connection, so it doesn't even have to be on to set the mode. Bezel tight is high, and loosening it a tiny bit disconnects a contact to give you low.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pocket rocket : Fenix P1D-Q5 (CR123A, 180 Lumen)

It's a twisty, but I can easily operate mine with one hand, a little extra lube is fine. If you still find one : P1, the same as one mode light, 90 Lumen...

If you are willing to spend 1 minute to program the light and if a tactical switch with momentary on isn't a problem in your pocket : Quark AA/123 tactical (90/170 Lumen). You can program 2 modes as you want (head loose, head tightened), so, you may as well program twice the same and have a one mode light at 0.2/3.5/18/70/90(170) Lumen.

MattInTheCouv

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the suggestion, but any light that has a sentence in its operation description like "once the light has been on/off for X seconds it reverts..." is just not gonna work.