Am I off my nut by noticing the tint shift?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every year around mid August I see a definite tint shift in the Sun's rays outside. It makes colors more contrasted to me. Anyone else see this or am I in need of professional help?:candle: :p

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember my science classes correctly, the tint of the sun shifts as you go through the year due to the angle of the planet in relation to the sun. The less direct the light, the more the tint is shifted when it hits the atmosphere. It's pretty much the same reason the sky changes color over the course of the day, giving bright blue skies and blood red sunsets.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Yes, the tint of the sun does vary throughout the year. That is one of many reasons that there is no one exact color temp for daylight, I have seen 4100K to 6500K mentioned with the common ones being 5000K (GE Sunshine) to 5500K (Daylight photo film).

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around this time of year is when I start to feel a slight but nagging feeling that "something is different." It persists until October, when the lower sun angle *really* sets in, and I sort of accept the differing color of daylight. I think the reds and oranges of the leaves in Autumn kind of go with it.

I don't start to notice it ramping back up again until mid-April.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this is why it comes to my attention that I'm seeing better around this time of year. Outdoors. I've just noticed again here recently.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Beamhead, this is going to sound like a made up story but I promise that it's not.

About 4 minutes ago I woke up from a short nap and walked into the office. I looked out the window at the very close house next door to the east and thought to myself "what is with the colors this time of the year? It's so pretty night now and makes me think of the forest and hunting." I sat down at the computer and opened CPF since I hadn't been to the Cafe all day. Guess who's thread I opened first! LOL.....I couldn't believe it! Oddly enough I wasn't really understanding the thread title until I read your OP. Prior to reading your post, the only thing going through my mind was that you were talking about LEDs or something.

Yes, I also notice a color shift but I can't even say if it's something that I've noticed before or not. For me, I just really like the time of year. The smell in the air, the moisture, and now I suppose the tint, all remind me of hunting season, the woods, fresh Ponderossa air, and cooler weather to come after a hot summer. I'd have to say the tint is warmer and colors are less washed out looking.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
The phenomenon that you are referring to may very well be real, but I would still say that you are in grave need of professional help.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This prelude to the fall Sun makes me want to take a nap.:tired:

I love the crisp cool October evenings, to bad the time change comes later. I love when it gets dark at 5:30 and I get to use my lights even more.

Oh, and BH, yeah your nuts.:poke: I think the shift is in your head.:nana:

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the sun's shifting because since last week I'm now finally able to park my black car in the shade again behind the house. Early to mid summer there's no relief. I do have a garage but I can't get my car into it for a variety of reasons. (Right now my bay's filled with the kid's stuff anyway.)

So... the sun is definitely shifting. Curiously, it seems to have happened rather suddenly. I wonder why that would be. Kinda like Beamhead & Patriot noticed it all of a sudden, rather than more gradually. Maybe that's just the way we humans are wired. We kinda let things slide without noticing until it hits some point too far to ignore.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Actually, the shift is rather sudden because the sun's positional changes in the sky are a sinusiodal function. The sun in lowest in the sky on December 21, and highest on June 21. During these times the rate at which it changes is rather low (note that sunset and sunrise times don't change dramatically during these times of the year). However, by the time you're about 6 or 7 weeks out from summer solstice the sun starts setting a few minutes earlier each day. In other words, the position of the sun changes noticeably. The rate of change peaks around September 21, but it's definitely noticeably around now.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the shift is rather sudden because the sun's positional changes in the sky are a sinusiodal function. The sun in lowest in the sky on December 21, and highest on June 21. During these times the rate at which it changes is rather low (note that sunset and sunrise times don't change dramatically during these times of the year). However, by the time you're about 6 or 7 weeks out from summer solstice the sun starts setting a few minutes earlier each day. In other words, the position of the sun changes noticeably. The rate of change peaks around September 21, but it's definitely noticeably around now.

Thanks for the cool link!:twothumbs