Why lack of Titanium single AA lights???

What do you want in a single battery Ti light?

• Total voters

Haz

Enlightened
With so many lights coming out in Ti, when are we going to see Ti lights come in AA format?, are there anyone making them?

I've seen titanium lights in other battery size:
Olight, McGizmo, Ralights, Gatlight, Endeavour, Bitz with single CR123 cell
Jetbeam, Olight with two CR123 cells.
Surefire, Endeavour with single CR2 cell
Thrunite coming out with three button cells
Arc, Liteflux, McGizmo, KillerPetite, Endeavour Muyshondy Ti Mako, VersiTi with single AAA cells.
There may be more that i haven't listed above...

Seems to me manufacturers haven't really targeted titanium lights using AA batteries. I'm thinking manufacturers are probably thinking that the average AA battery light user wouldn't spend so much for a light, and those who prefer high performance lights will prefer to choose the CR123 format, or AAA because of the small form factor!. Strange thinking you may think, but i cannot think of another reason why it's so difficult to find a Ti AA light.

A few years ago, i remember if you wanted a high power luxeon led light, you pretty much had to go for one powered with a CR123 cell, or lousy 3xAAA cells!. I still remember my first Nuwai Q3 light. People then experimented with single AA lights, however due to the drivers and led limitations, it wasn't until Fenix came along and produced the first mass production of AA lights (I think called the L1) with reasonable output and runtime, it was then we realise it was 'possible' and can be done. Prior to that, most single AA lights were clustered 5mm lights, which produced floody beams and had poor regulations. These days, I see more and more high powered single emitter lights in AA format. I believe this is due to increasing awareness, albeit environmental, fall in prices, advances in technology, led lights are growing in popularity and becoming more mainstream. Consumer driven demand has contributed to the growth in the numbers of AA and AAA lights available on the market.

I thought by now, there should be a 'flood' of titanium AA lights available, but there isn't, why is that?, Is this format unpopular or likely to be unprofitable?

If there was one available, i would prefer a twisty design

Pros
  • Due to the choice of material, i want it to be rugged, durable and long lasting, I don't want a rubber tailcap that could break or fail.
  • Smaller - a twisty will be smaller size compared to one with a switch
Cons
  • Probably won't be able to change mode as fast as a clicky
  • May not be able to turn on and off as easy, ie for tactical purpose.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ti: more expensive than alu, more weight (?), more difficult to machine, no hard surface possible, dramatically worse thermal capabilities
... maybe reasons not so much makers use it
:thinking:

Haz

Enlightened
Re: Need Titanium single AA lights!!!

that's true, which is why alot of manufacturers don't use Ti, but for those who do use produce Ti lights, it seems the preferred choice of battery is CR123 or AAA. I would have thought AA would be a popular choice as well, perhaps I am wrong, so i'm curious to know why manufacturers who are making Ti lights are not choosing AA, and whether buyers actually prefer other battery sizes.

KuKu427

Enlightened
Re: Need Titanium single AA lights!!!

IMHO, the main reason is difficulties in machining.

Haz

Enlightened
Re: Why no Titanium single AA lights???

KuKu427, you were able to get the Liteflux LF2XT in titanium, which seems pretty popular.
Do you think there is scope for titanium with the Liteflux LF5XT?

Last edited:

aljsk8

Enlightened
Re: Why no Titanium single AA lights???

not massed produced but jhanko does a ti aa light (using d10 internals)
photofanatic will also make pretty much whatever you want him too

i agree there should be more high end AA lights

easilyled

Flashaholic
thanks Random, didn't realise there was this light available, haven't seen it before. Where were these lights sold?

I'll probably should change the heading to make it clearer that some may be available, even though it may be rare

I think TB only made 2 or 3 AA lights at the most.

They are extremely rare in any case, so I'd jump at the TB light if you have the funds for it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
The Pacific Titanium AA looks pretty nice, how come you didn't keep it?, was there anything you didn't like about it?

The Horus Titanium Q5 seem to be a RCR123 light?
:oops:
Needed the cash for other lights, seems to happen all the time, although I'm getting more particular about what I buy these days.
Norm

AAA unavailable but it may still interest you just to see what has been produced in the past Fenix L0-Ti Collectors Limited Edition

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pacific Titanium AA looks pretty nice, how come you didn't keep it?, was there anything you didn't like about it?

The Horus Titanium Q5 seem to be a RCR123 light?

Here's a couple to start you off.
I used to have a Peak Pacific in titainium realy nice light and still available.
Horus Titanium Q5
Pacific Titanium AA
Norm

Yup, Horus-Titan FD1.3 is a CR123 light. And since then, the brand and model names have changed.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one. I'm sorry I cant tell you alot about it. Takes AA and 123 too, it has a brass sleeve that comes out. OP reflector w Cree, 5 mode. It says Titan on the side.

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one. I'm sorry I cant tell you alot about it. Takes AA and 123 too, it has a brass sleeve that comes out. OP reflector w Cree, 5 modes. I want to say
download had 1 or 2 of these, I don't know where he got it. It says Titan on the side.

I have one of those too, although mine is older as it has a Lux III in it and it doesn't have "Titan" on it. I bought mine from Erin0919 IIRC. They where Jetbeam clones at the time and where available in SS and Ti.

Mine is strictly AA or primary 14500, no 123 will fit.

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened

Sounds pretty versatile taking both AA and 123. I assume as the thickness of the light will be thicker than typical AA only lights to accommodate both battery types. Sounds as though these lights are pretty rare and no so easy to obtain. How much did these lights sell for?

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one in the works.

I'll probably make around 50 units and see how they sell.

I hope to keep it around that $150 range.

AA size is very nice, and of course, easy to find cells

+ I have all these L91s and don't know what to do with them:ironic: