Smallest MC-E light that puts out over 600 bulb lumens?

moses

Enlightened
OK, per the title, what is the smallest one?

My guess is that it would be based on a single li-ion cell and be more floody.

Thanks,
Mo

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Wolf Eyes MC Explorer model may be one of the smallest MC-E lights out there. Not sure if it's quite 600 emitter lumens but it's close.
Another option is some sort of host like a SF 6P or a Solarforce body and a Malkoff M60 MCE.
You can also find some compact MC-E budget lights at various chinese retailers; beware you usually get what you pay for.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smallest MC-E I know is Mini EDC, but about 400 lumens.

Most compact I know is MG PLI, should be 500-600 lumens thereabouts. Not sure if there're smaller ones from mass run (there are probably from mods) to meet 600 lumens. :shrug:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I would think that the smallest MC-E light that genuinely puts out over 600 lumens is probably the O-light M30 Triton without the cell extender.

ie. 3CR123s or 2 18500s.

Given the very impressive output on high, this is still a relatively compact light.

I think its probably another level on in brightness compared to all the Dx clones, the P60-sized lights and also the WE MC Explorer.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Sometimes the smaller ones have a lot of trouble getting rid of the heat IME so even if they start out at 600 lumens that will quickly slide down and down. Eventually they may drop to a lower level or just fry the led. They are sometimes uncomfortable to hold too.

I like small MC-E lights too but I've come to think of them as 200 lumen lights (on medium) that I can boost to a high mode for a few minutes to freak out my friends. I don't like holding a light containing Lithium batteries when it gets hot.

Even on medium I like the MC-E because it produces a nice big flood.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the OP mentioned "bulb" lumens and not out the front lumens, which is always lower, the Malkoff MC-e (cool white) is probably as close as you are going to get in a 6P size flashlight or Malkoff's own MD2 using 2 RCR123 batteries. Turning on with 500 out the front lumens is probably as good as your going to get to 600 "bulb" meaning at the source lumens in a small package. Much smaller than the M1X or Solarforce L900M type of lights. Those have more than 600 lumens out the front and that means there "bulb" lumens are well over the minimum he was looking for. Not that its bad, just not the smallest package for the stated starting threshold level.

Don't know of any other commercially available light that will reliably do that in a "smaller" package. Some of the Wolf Eyes lights should do that but are somewhat bigger or have larger heads.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Since the OP mentioned "bulb" lumens and not out the front lumens, which is always lower, the Malkoff MC-e (cool white) is probably as close as you are going to get in a 6P size flashlight or Malkoff's own MD2 using 2 RCR123 batteries. Turning on with 500 out the front lumens is probably as good as your going to get to 600 "bulb" meaning at the source lumens in a small package. Much smaller than the M1X or Solarforce L900M type of lights. Those have more than 600 lumens out the front and that means there "bulb" lumens are well over the minimum he was looking for. Not that its bad, just not the smallest package for the stated starting threshold level.

Don't know of any other commercially available light that will reliably do that in a "smaller" package. Some of the Wolf Eyes lights should do that but are somewhat bigger or have larger heads.

You're quite right in that if the OP really meant bulb lumens, you could go much smaller than if he meant OTF lumens.

However, it seems strange that anyone would be interested in bulb lumens because this is not at all useful in the real world.

The only meaningful measurement of output is out the front lumens.

No point in having a light that "in theory" can output 900 bulb lumens if it only outputs 350 OTF lumens (like many of the Dx clones).

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're quite right in that if the OP really meant bulb lumens, you could go much smaller than if he meant OTF lumens.

However, it seems strange that anyone would be interested in bulb lumens because this is not at all useful in the real world.

No point in having a light that "in theory" can output 900 bulb lumens if it only outputs 350 OTF lumens (like many of the Dx clones).

Well maybe he's been reading all the posts about bulb and OTF lumens and simply knew that there are far more lights with the "bulb" lumens listed then those with true and correct OTF lumens and simply went from there, which would be a smart thing to do. Can't go too much smaller because you still need an 18650 or 2 CR123/RCR123's to really provide enough power to get an MC-E up to 600 "bulb" lumens. Running 1 IMR16340 just doesn't provide the oomph to do it. The Malkoff with a real 500 lumens out the front is hitting the number he wants but that takes a real 6V or more to hold in regulation and work so thats at least 2X16340 size batteries, no way around it. Or the Wolfie Eyes with an 18650.

recDNA

Flashaholic

350 lumens from a little tube shaped flashlight is ideal for my uses. My problem is they all overheat too quickly and I don't want any more big flashlights...unless some breakthrough produces something twice as bright as my TK40.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I would think that the smallest MC-E light that genuinely puts out over 600 lumens is probably the O-light M30 Triton without the cell extender.

ie. 3CR123s or 2 18500s.

Given the very impressive output on high, this is still a relatively compact light.

I think its probably another level on in brightness compared to all the Dx clones, the P60-sized lights and also the WE MC Explorer.

I don't know of any MC-E lights that allow high power for more than 15 minutes with 2 X CR123. That is my favorite configuration because it's the perfect size and I don't want to deal with rechargeables.

jgraham15

Enlightened
I have a MC-E flashlight that is pretty small but I don't think it's putting out 600 "bulb" lumens. It is a Vital Gear FB1 with TnC E to C adapter and a C series bezel. It has one of nailbender's P60 drop ins in it. Its a Mbin WG tint MC-E. I run it with a IMR16340 and it is pretty darn bright for such a small light but it gets hot fairly fast. I love the flashlight and I am thinking about building another one in a bored out C2 host this time so I can run an IMR18650 to go with my bored out 6P with a SST-90 in it.

Last edited:

moses

Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I specified bulb lumens because that's a bit more 'honest' in that one can look at power consumed and get a sense of what the bulb lumens is. (Taking into account power consumed and efficiency of the circuit.)

Thanks!
Mo