Unique Mounting System

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I want: a clamp-on Picatinny rail, the rail being 90° off-axis to the tube on which it mounts.

I intend to combine this part, a Solarforce LM-1 mount, and some other parts into a bike light worth the name.

Alternately, bike-helmet mounted Picatinny rails may prove useful for this purpose.

Do these oddities actually exist?

lightforce2

Enlightened
Good question!!

I have a few lights with quick detatchable weaver rail mounts that I use on my rifles. I'm planning on getting a mountain bike soon & was hoping there ara some rails that will fit onto the handlebars so my lights can be interchangable

Anyone seen or heard of these?

cheers

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, trying to find a weaver and/or picatinny rail that can mount to anything but a gun, is hard...so I made my own! :devil: I bought some weaver scope mounts for a ruger .22 ($9.00???), since they sit the flattest, at wally world. Then, you just get your Picatinny light mount (any 1" light mount will work), and set it between the two mounts, to get your picatinny spacing, as oppsed to the weaver spacing, so you can use both.

Now, just grab any bike mount that will have a flat/modifiable surface, and screw the scope mount's down to that, so you can easily remove the light and light mount. Here's a sample of what I did to my pelican, so I could mount a light (carried like a briefcase):

1. Notice the slight size difference in the built in "weaver" spacing, and the picantinny spacing I added between the scope mounts
HPIM0990.jpg

2. Here, with the M78 laying sideways to show the size difference between picantinny (on the light mount) and weaver (on the scope mounts):

HPIM0991.jpg

3. My Surefire M78 mounted (2 seconds to mount) and ready for a light

HPIM0992.jpg

4. And, with light attached...for the SF light mounts, the M78 fits all E-series lights/maglites (.80 inches diamter body), and the M79 for the 1" diameter bodies

HPIM0993.jpg

Actually, Chronitus, I'd look for shotgun mount...get me a diameter on your bike handles (or the part you want to mount it to, and I'll try to find a shotgun mount that will work, seeing as most shot gun mounts are made to attach to the magazine, (1" for 12ga.), this should be pretty close to a bicycle handle bar...

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know where you can get some standing Picatinny rails in various lengths.

Look at this. You see that screw in the middle? You might be able to unscrew it, put it around your handle bards, rotate the rail, and then screw it down real hard.

You could get a larger screw and but a nut on the bottom to maximum tightness. However, this is up for debate. I have absolutely no idea if that's even what that screw does :) The rail might just be attached to the top part of the clamp. I can't find more picture to know.

Look at this picture and make your own guess.

Update, this might actually work. I found another website with more pictures of them.

The rail does come off. That screw holds it down. With a longer screw you could twist the rail and possibly put something in the clamp like rubber if it's too wide. I've searched everything though. They just don't make 90 degree offset clamp on Picatinny rails :)

Go here for pictures.

Last edited: