Heads up if you're using a Malkoff M60 in a weapon light

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
First off, I want to clarify that I am a fan of Malkoff's products. I think he makes the best LED drop-ins for Maglights and Surefires, and I think his products are better than the Surefire P60L and Maglight MagLED.

I got a M60 drop in last September. I got it to replace the P60 incandescent bulb in my department issued Remington 870 shotgun that was equipped with a surefire forend. I installed the module with the copper fitting ring that is required when using a shock-absorbing head and it worked great.

My department has shotgun/handgun training about once every other month, and I also used my shotgun w/ M60 during a three day survival school. After the last training shoot a few days ago, the module stopped working. The shock from the weapon's recoil caused the optic inside the module to pop right out (It was rattling around inside the bezel behind the bezel's window). Even after snapping the optic back in, the module still doesn't work. I even tried it in other surefire lights to make sure there wasn't a problem with the forend itself. Apparently, something inside the module was damaged from the recoil as well.

Like I said, I like Malkoff's products, but I don't know if they where intended for hard use like this. If you are using a Malkoff module in a Surefire weaponlight, you might want to re-consider before you break your 50+ dollar drop-in.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Warning if you're using a Malkoff M60 in a weapon light!

Did you contact Malkoff about it? I'm sure that he would like to know if there is a problem.

Patriot

Flashaholic

This is good for us to be aware of so thanks for posting it. Any chance of posting a picture of the failure?

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened

I just switched all my shotgun lights over to M60's. Havent fired any of them yet.

How many and what type of rounds before failure??

Gene43

Enlightened

If you experience a failure of a M60 for any reason. (Even if you accidentally tape some C4 to it.) Just contact me and I will replace it. Some of the team training members at Magpul Dynamics have over 100,000 rounds on their M60's with no failure. I stand behind my stuff.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened

Federal Tactical Buckshot, I believe my department issues the low-recoil, load# LE132.

I've been trying to remember out how many rounds where fired before failure. I believe it was under 100 rounds, probably around 80. (Due to the cost of ammunition we've cut back the number of shotgun rounds used for training.)

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you experience a failure of a M60 for any reason. (Even if you accidentally tape some C4 to it.) Just contact me and I will replace it. Some of the team training members at Magpul Dynamics have over 100,000 rounds on their M60's with no failure. I stand behind my stuff.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

:twothumbs actually, I'd stick up quadruple thumbs if I could. o_O mutation!

I have one of your m60s.. I've dropped the bare module on concrete.. it still works!
ill have to say negative for some of the other dropins I've used :/

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened

I was hoping it wasnt the low recoil stuff. I love Malkoff products. I have a bunch of his dropin's, and havent had any failures.
Maybe 12ga can change everything. But I'm still guessing your failure was an anomaly.

I should be going shooting this weekend. If I do, I will post results.

Last edited:

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

Like I said, I really like Malkoff's stuff too and hopefully mine was an abnormality. A 12 gauge does have a lot of kick though, more kick than a 5.56, so a shotgun is going to put some real punishment on any LED you mount to it.

However, upon learning that Gene is willing to replace a module if it fails, I don't think there is much of an issue to worry about anymore. It's good to know that customer service isn't dead everywhere these days. :twothumbs

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Gene Malkoff
Sounds like your good to go. :thumbsup:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

Yet another reason I'll be buying more Malkoff products in the future.

FWIW to the OP, I've dropped my 6P/M60 fairly harshly a few times already on to cement and rock - zero problems so far.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sucks to hear about you M60 :(

But you are also lucky because Gene will back his product 100%!

I LOVE that!

:twothumbs

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:naughty:

Anyways, my m60 has lived through more than 100 rounds of 12g and I have no low recoil rounds. You have a fluke on your hands is all.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, I want to clarify that I am a fan of Malkoff's products. I think he makes the best LED drop-ins for Maglights and Surefires, and I think his products are better than the Surefire P60L and Maglight MagLED.

I got a M60 drop in last September. I got it to replace the P60 incandescent bulb in my department issued Remington 870 shotgun that was equipped with a surefire forend. I installed the module with the copper fitting ring that is required when using a shock-absorbing head and it worked great.

My department has shotgun/handgun training about once every other month, and I also used my shotgun w/ M60 during a three day survival school. After the last training shoot a few days ago, the module stopped working. The shock from the weapon's recoil caused the optic inside the module to pop right out (It was rattling around inside the bezel behind the bezel's window). Even after snapping the optic back in, the module still doesn't work. I even tried it in other surefire lights to make sure there wasn't a problem with the forend itself. Apparently, something inside the module was damaged from the recoil as well.

Like I said, I like Malkoff's products, but I don't know if they where intended for hard use like this. If you are using a Malkoff module in a Surefire weaponlight, you might want to re-consider before you break your 50+ dollar drop-in.

I would try hooking up the M60 directly to a 1xLi-ion battery source, which avoids any question of electrical continuity when you test the drop-in using an actual flashlight host.

A single Li-ion should be able to power up the M60. Connect a wire between the top button of the Li-ion to the center spring of the M60. Connect another wire between the bottom plate of the Li-ion to the brass heat sink body of the M60. If the M60 is functional, the LED should light up.

If the M60 does light up, I would check the length of the center spring and stretch it if necessary. I'd also check the battery top button for any recoil damage that could prevent electrical contact. It's hard to imagine that the driver board failed or that the spring's solder contact to the driver broke. The M60's guts are all well potted in that black epoxy. With the optic removed, can you verify that the two wires from the driver are still soldered to the LED?

Are you using the beryllium copper washer? Is your light a real SF weaponlight or an SF handheld being used on the shtogun?

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

I try not to mix C4 and high end flashlights but its always good to know if I do (and im using one of my Malkoff's) Im covered :twothumbs

1wrx7

Enlightened

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

You :rock: Gene

Now.... if I could just find some C4.... on second thought maybe I shouldn't say that:oops::devil:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like I said, I really like Malkoff's stuff too and hopefully mine was an abnormality. A 12 gauge does have a lot of kick though, more kick than a 5.56, so a shotgun is going to put some real punishment on any LED you mount to it.

However, upon learning that Gene is willing to replace a module if it fails, I don't think there is much of an issue to worry about anymore. It's good to know that customer service isn't dead everywhere these days. :twothumbs

I'm told that someone's tested the M60 out as a weaponlight on a Ma Deuce. Without the shock bezel. Apparently, that worked, so I'm pretty confident that was a fluke.