Why are mules cool (or cule)?

gunga

Flashaholic
I've read a bit about mule or mule style lights: reflectorless led lights that give a wide flood with no spot and no throw.

So I must ask, why are mules cool? I see they do have use close up, but would like to hear from the many people extolling the vitures of a mule.

I had a Zebralight H50 that was near mule like, I found it too floody.

So why are mules so cule?

:devil:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
honestly, I'm not the most outdoor person.. that being said, I find the wide flood very useful around the house. :)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theres a beam type that will be better suited for one task over another.

I find while working in a confined space, having a light with all flood works best for my eyes. If I need more focused light, I'll grab a reflectored light.

I have several "mule" type lights. They are great for general area lighting when you just need to flood and entire area with light.
When using a light with a focused beam, your eyes tend to go to the center, where the light is brightest thus needing to move the light all around to find something.
With a mule type beam, the eyes wander easier in the even flood of light......I have no idea WTF I'm talking about, but it might be somewhat true.:tinfoil:

Its not for everyone as preferences vary.

I just enjoy having all sorts of different lights and beams.

It's like a specialized tool, you may not need it all the time, but when you do you are so glad you have it.

Last edited:

1wrx7

Enlightened
Theres a beam type that will be better suited for one task over another.

I find while working in a confined space, having a light with all flood works best for my eyes. If I need more focused light, I'll grab a reflectored light.

I have several "mule" type lights. They are great for general area lighting when you just need to flood and entire area with light.
When using a light with a focused beam, your eyes tend to go to the center, where the light is brightest thus needing to move the light all around to find something.
With a mule type beam, the eyes wander easier in the even flood of light......I have no idea WTF I'm talking about, but it might be somewhat true.:tinfoil:

Its not for everyone as preferences vary.

I just enjoy having all sorts of different lights and beams.

It's like a specialized tool, you may not need it all the time, but when you do you are so glad you have it.

+1

You're right about your eyes foucusing on the hotspot of the light. For my EDC... and most other lights I like reflectors. DaFabricata built a thee eyed mule for me in a KL4 head with 3XSSC P4 emitters. I use a McE2S switch to get a low level, but on high it's around 600lm:devil: Inside it's like turning on a lightbulb... and a very even beam. For those who think the stock KL4 is a wall of light... I beg to differ. There's virtually no transition in brightness across the beam. I don't use it all of the time.... but when I need it... I'm glad I have it:thumbsup:

If you have a light you can remove the bezel from, give it a try. That way you don't have to buy/mod a light. It's not for everyone, but for me it's usefull.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Why are they called mules anyhow?

I mean, is it that they are 'dumb'? I know that they can have drive circuitry (just no reflectors), but my Milky'd E1 Roomsweeper has no drive circuitry, is it dumber than a mule then? :confused:

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McGizmo mule was one of the first(if not the first) semi-production flashlight with a high powered LED and no optics or reflector.

I guess since most CPFers know about it, the name has been designated to lights of this form.

Now the meaning of "Mule" needs to be updated in the most current dictionaries

MULE n. 1 offspring of a male donkey and a female horse
2 [Inf.] stubborn person
3 lounging slipper
4 illumination device made by flashlight artist McGizmo
5 term to descibe an even, floody beam of light from a handheld illumination device

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now the meaning of "Mule" needs to be updated in the most current dictionaries

MULE n. 1 offspring of a male donkey and a female horse
2 [Inf.] stubborn person
3 lounging slipper
4 illumination device made by flashlight artist McGizmo
5 term to descibe an even, floody beam of light from a handheld illumination device.

:crackup:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are nuts :twothumbs

It's really just as simple as user preference and the task at hand.

Holding a Maglite in candle mode (Bezel off, just open bulb/LED) might not be the best idea if it isn't on it's tail. It would blind you.

However, extremely floody lights would be better suited for holding in ones hand while doing a task.

Would you carry a 200 lumen smooth reflector thrower just to look inside the shed?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I make a "mule". It uses a dx 750 ma driver, and a p4 led on a good heatsink. We use them at work for computer and laser printer repair work. No flashback when looking inside a machine. The repair guys will simply lay the light inside the machine- and it lights up the whole inside.

With an 18650 they have a really long runtime. I bought a charger that I keep at work.

ypsifly

Enlightened
The best use I've gotten from a Nite Ize 1W drop in for a minimag was when I took out the reflector. Great for lighting up your immediate area like a table or a familiar hallway.

brucec

Enlightened
Mules are great when you don't want a focused hotspot. They also excel in ceiling bounce. You get shadows when you ceiling bounce a focused light, but with a mule, the lighting is very uniform throughout the room. I prefer that indoors. You can get into all kinds of reasons like dynamic range of your eyes, but essentially, mules are cool for specific tasks and not others. But, I would say mules are pretty specialized at what they are good at and they wouldn't make anyone's "only one light for the rest of your life" pick.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a F04 on my Twisty. Net result is a "mule mask" that can come off when I need the death ray for throw.

That's a compelling insight; I used to catch myself using a flashlight while searching for something, even if it wasn't too dim in the room, when I carried an Inova. Two reasons: I'd often find stuff in corners that were shadowed by room light, and as a result I'd miss it the first time through. Second, it's easier to direct the spot in a search pattern than to force your eyes to move in one.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
..... Second, it's easier to direct the spot in a search pattern than to force your eyes to move in one.

This is an interesting insight. In daylight or adequate ambient of any source, if you can't direct your eyes in a search pattern, I guess you don't do well at finding things.

I recall making a comment in justification of the original McLux which was a floody light that I would rather find an object than search for it. The point being that with a wide and even field of view one could spot the object of interest immediately without the need to start a sweep pattern. :shrug: