Surefire C2/M2 Opinions...

ewick

Enlightened
I've searched the archives on this, so I know this issue has been beaten to death, but I need some opinions. My plan is to get either a C2 or an M2, and put a KL5 on top once/if they appear.

I would like for the entire setup to be in HA3BK, and I'm aware I may have to wait a while, or (hopefully not) settle for natural HA3.

I will likely end up using the KL5 most of the time; keeping track of spare bulbs and repeatedly replacing blown bulbs doesn't appeal to me.

If I get a C2, then I plan on adding the additional O-ring (19-01-077), and a click-on tailswitch (SW02 or Z48/Z49). If I get an M2, then I plan on adding a click-on tailswitch (SW02 or Z48/Z49).

What's the general consensus on this approach so far? Will I be equally happy with the O-ringed C2 as I would with an M2? Is the shock-isolated bezel the only thing I'll miss out on with the C2 approach? And lastly, any suggestions?

One more thing: I like the idea of going with the Pila Li-ion batteries. From Pila's website: "Rechargeable batteries Pila 150S and 168S are designed for flashlights other than Pila, such as SURE-FIRE® 6P and 9P". Which battery sets are compatible with the C2/M2?

Thanks in advance for your input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ewick: since you're going to upgrade to the KL5 once it comes out, getting a C2 is the best choice you can go with. i'm sure tsg would agree! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the C2 and M2 bodies are exactly the same, the only difference being the laser etchings. the shock-isolated bezel is not very practical for EDC, since its rather large in diameter and it protects the lamp only if you drop it bezel down since it was designed to protect the lamp from the backward and forwards motion of a recoiling weapon. i have a C2, and i've dropped it numerous times and the lamp assembly has not been damaged. in any case, if you decide later you want the shock-isolated bezel you can always order it separately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

as for the extra O-ring, make sure you ask for the G2 O-ring, which is the correct part. i'm not sure about the part number though.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
I don't have a C2, so can't comment. But I do love my M2. I carry it concealed almost every day. The bezel is large, but not huge. If you're going to be using the KL5 most of the time, then the HOLA isn't going to be of much use to you so the C2 sounds like the more resonable option.

As for the Pila batteries. They don't put out enough voltage in the 6V configuration to drive the SF LAs. The 9V batteries will drive the 9V SF LAs though. If you're going to be using the KL5, then the Pila batts will probably work fine.

I have a Pila G3R that I really like a lot. The batteries seem to be holding up quite well.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Chamenos, you'll save yourself a few bucks. Another benefit is that the C2 bezel has a smaller diameter and is easier to carry on a daily basis until the KL5 is available, I think the M2 bezel is close to 1.25" pretty large for a pocket light. I don't know about this for sure but I think the clickie caps add a little extra length to the light and the SW02 is kinda fat and may make using the combat grip, effectively, a little more difficult. Maybe someone here could comment more on that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
You can always buy an M2 Bezel for your C2!

I have an M2 bezel for my C3 and I like it.
The beam is a little more "defined". The light is also
more stable if you set it bezel down on a table or nightstand.
The shock protection is nice too.

You often see M2 bezels for sale on B/S/T . . .
I may even have an extra laying around somewhere!

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ewick

Enlightened
Guys, thanks for the unbelievably quick responses! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif So far it looks like the C2 is holding its own. Hopefully once the new 5-watters come out, the Pila battery issue can be verified. Thing is, I don't really want to get into a flashlight that's not rechargeable, and if the Pila battery/C2/KL5 combo won't work, I won't own it.

One more question, well, maybe not a question, but a request for an educated guess. The Surefire 2003 catalog states that the new 5-watters should produce 80-100 lumens in a 9-volt package, which I'm guessing means the KL6 and KL7 only. Anybody have any estimates for the other (KL4 and KL5) upgrades?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ewick: you can't go wrong with the C2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif if i'm not wrong the 2 cell 5w LS bezels should produce about the same amout of light as a P60 (65 lumens) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
If the idea is to get the KL5 then getting a C2-HA is a better option in terms of cost.

Before you get the Z48/SW02 Clickie, remember that there is a more compact Clickie assigned to Z58 (HA).

Al

stangster

Newly Enlightened
Al, is the KL5 really going to be as bright as Chamenos says?

(Not that I don't believe you Chamenos.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just want to hear it from the man.)

BTW Al, any chance of selling me your gold? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, if you are sure you are going to run the KL head there isn't really any point in getting the M2.

The only real reason you might get the M2 anyway is if you think you may decide not to go with the KL or that you later decide you prefer the normal LA for some reason (tighter beam, etc.).

Random thoughts:

I purchased one of the small(er) clickies for my M2 and decided I didn't like it. It made the light too big for my tastes. It sits on my shelf and the light wears it's normal LOTC.

I EDC my M2 in my front pants pocket (clipped in) and don't find it too large. Even tho the shock isolated lamp assembly is meant primarily for a front-to-back shock, it does look like it should help to a degree in side-to-side shock. Even if not, you still improve the chances your LA stays intact. Bottom line, if you are going to use the normal lamp assemblies, I would go for the M2.

It would seem that when SF comes out with a 5W KL assembly it only stands to reason they will have a dual stage light, ala L1. Seems like this would be more useful than KL based light.

-john

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
stangster: no problem! i'm not 100% sure myself anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ewick

Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's input on this. Somehow I've missed the discussion of the Z58...but I like the sounds of it. I guess at this point, I'm just waiting for HA3BK, the KL5, and the Z58. Man, I need a more instantly gratifying hobby...

One more question: I know that I can order the M2 bezel separately if I want it later; can C2 bodies be ordered separately?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ewick, if i'm not wrong surefire doesn't like selling just the bodies of their lights so you'll probably have to order a complete C2. you can try asking some of the dealers though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
There are three released Clickies for SureFires:
Z48 (HA)
Z49 (BK)
SW02 (HA)
They are the same clickie - the SW02 is styled for better grip - intended for Millennium Universal WeaponLights as the "C" switch option. The Z's are knurled and intended for flashlights.

The Z58 (HA) and Z59 (BK) are based on the Z57 for the E Series. They are a whole different Clickie and far more compact.

With regards to buying parts -
In general, SureFire will sell bezels such as the M2 bezel in HA or black (not HABK)
They will not sell bodies.

Depending on whether you want to get a KL5 as soon as it comes out, I suggest you get a C2-HA and do not wait for HABK. I still have a big question over the whole HABK thing. Certainly if models such as the C2/M2/E2e are released in HABK, I doubt you'll see Clickies and KL's and KT's (accessories) released at the same time.

If you want a 5W Luxeon and you don't have an E2e-HA and don't want to go the E2e+KL4 route, then getting a C2-HA will be a good route to take.

Al

ewick

Enlightened
Al, thanks for all the information. In regards to HA3BK, you say that Surefire will sell parts in HA or BK, but not HA3BK. Is that simply because HA3BK isn't available yet, or is there another reason? And out of curiosity, what is your big question about the HA3BK issue; just the release times for accessories or is there something more?

I don't have an E2e, and it's not that I've totally ruled them out yet. But I do think I would find the grip rings beneficial...my only concern is the life of the rings themselves. Can these be replaced if need be?

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what Al is saying is that he believes that the speculation that Surefire is going to release all of the aluminum lights in HABK is simply that, speculation at this point, and has only been reported by one member of the forum who stated to have recieved a reply to a question on the matter in the affirmative from a Surefire employee via email, and that it has not been corroborated publicly nor has any date been given. So he's saying don't prematurely get your hopes up, cause it could be a long wait ending in diappointment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think I would trust Al on this matter due to the fact that he probably has the closest relationship of anyone here to the Surefire chain of command.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts