Please help with quiestion on Nitecore

carl8190

Banned
Im new to this i have just registerd. I currently have a fenix ld20, Because i love flashlights i want to buy a nitecore d10 but i wanted to know if it was regulated like the fenix or if the light drops as the batterys die :S On the nitecore site it says

Maximum output for approx 50 minutes (with brightness declines to 50%)

If its regulated why does the brigtness decline to 50% ?

Sorry if i sound stupid im new to all this. What would the d10 be like on walks for example.
Hope you all can help

Carl.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
A regulated light will hold a high output longer, and then drop off very quickly. The time is taken as it quickly passes this 50% of initial brightness output. Some lights drop out of regulation- and continue on for a while at a reduced output. Unregulated lights are not necessarily always bad. I have one that will run nearly 10 hours of slowly dropping output.

A lot of members insist on flat regulation. You should not wait until the light hits end of power decline before recharging a li-ion. Do so often...

carl8190

Banned
NiteCore D10 Ramping Issue

I am going to buy a NiteCore D10 but I have read issues regarding the ramping. Have they solved the ramping issues yet or does it still ramp too fast to find lower levels.
Last question should I go for the R2 version or Q5:thinking:

Let me know your thoughts:twothumbs
Thanks Guys

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Re: NiteCore D10 Ramping Issue

No problems at all with my Q5. Ramping is fine, no flickering, everything is absolutely perfect. :thumbsup:

Personally, I would stick with the Q5: the marginal increase in brightness to the R2 doesn't really justify the increased price tag, plus the Nitecore R2s seem to be a bit more of a tint lottery, so you'd run the risk of getting a yellow one instead of the nice pure white tint on the Q5 (WC bin).

Igor Porto

Enlightened

Well, I have three of them, all R2. The tint is the same on all of them (very nice tint, not as white as I would want, but nice), the ramping works fine and they don't flicker.

carl8190

Banned

Thanks guys conflicting messages on the r2 so not sure if I should go for it or not :thinking: I cant wait to take delivery of one but dont want to rush into buying the wrong one be it q5 or r2 so has anyone else got a opinion?:shrug:

One last thing I currently have a fenix ld20 how does the nitecore d10 throw compare to this fenix?

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys conflicting messages on the r2 so not sure if I should go for it or not :thinking: I cant wait to take delivery of one but dont want to rush into buying the wrong one be it q5 or r2 so has anyone else got a opinion?:shrug:

Ramping down is good. Ramping up is a tad fast... for BOTH Q5 and R2. Never have flickering issues.
R2 is warmer than Q5 by a bit for bulk of the R2 stock. If it's me, I'll go for R2. Newer, brighter (a bit) and warmer.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

You worry too much. :shrug:

Rexlion

Enlightened

I think the rare, occasional problem stands out in posts and makes one think there are problems with a model. But I've also read soooo many positive comments from happy PD owners. And keep in mind that most happy owners don't even bother posting their satisfaction... but nearly every problem does get posted.

I have one, it works great, I'm happy with it, you probably will love it too. And when you buy yours from a reputable dealer, if (God forbid) you should have a problem you can get it taken care of in a jiffy anyway!

Don't worry... be happy...

edc3

Enlightened

+1 what Rexlion said. The "problems" threads stick out because no one posts just to say that their light is working great. FWIW I've had a D10 and EX10 since July, 2008 and have had zero problems except for the blue lube (which I cleaned off long ago) and the ramping from min/max issue which was fixed after the batch that I got. They're great lights. If you buy from a reputable dealer (not from eBay, etc) they'll take care of you if you have any problems. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to send the light back for a replacement, in the unlikely event that there is a problem. Go for it!

carl8190

Banned

Thanks alot dude you put my mind at rest. Your right about people only bothering to post bad reports on problems.

How does the Nitecore Defender Infinity compare to the D10 ?
Is this a better edc :shrug:

edc3

Enlightened

I have both the NDI and the D10. Right now I'm carrying the NDI, just for something different, but if I had to choose one or the other I'd take the D10. I really love the Smart PD switching. Being able to go from min to max or vice versa or anywhere in between easily with one hand is great. The EX10 has been my EDC light almost exclusively since I bought it. The D10 sits next to my bed with a diffuser on it.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a nitecore and it has worked flawlessly from day one, ramping up is real fast, ramping down i find beter. id stick with the Q5 its well proven and has a nice beam.

henry1960

Enlightened

I recently bought the D10-R2 a mounth ago and love it.

Ramping up to high and back down is great.

No flickering eaither

I have a EX10 also that i recently bought and had a small promblem withpushing the cylinder in but took apart light and put silicone grease on it and now works fine.

Bottom line...D10-R2 is in my opinion the light to get :thumbsup:

moon88

Newly Enlightened

Do you find that ramping is so fast you find it hard to find any other lows settings

ramping up or down is easy enough so you can pick any level in between. ive had my D10-R2 for abt 2 weeks now and i love it. however like everyone has said that it ramps up a tad bit faster than it ramps down, but still its easy to pick a level in between.

hope this helps :)

carl8190

Banned

Thanks that has helped. I think ill order the R2 version because I hear its brighter and New tech:thumbsup: I cant wait ill pay extra for next day on flashaholics so I get it tuesday.

Whats are the D10 like for using in the woods or walks?

Also where can I Find Trits to fit into it I see people have done this?

Last edited: