** SOME BEAMSHOTS: Tiablo A9 Aspheric / NEOFAB LEGION II / DBS R2 / SF M6 **

troller_cpf

Enlightened
POWER BEAMSHOTS: SSR90 ASPHERIC / LEGION II / VEC192 HID / D30 - UPDATED - BIG PICS

Last night I decided to take out my four big lights...one of them is the new Legion II standard version... and take some beamshots to compare.

Updates:
30-Jan-2010: Updated with M6 WA1185 and Mag SSR-90!
15-May-2010: Updated with XTAR D30 Howitzer GenII, SF L4 MCE and 2x55W HID VEC192!!

So here they are:
Camera
Canon Digital Ixus 70 set with ISO200, F2.8 and an exposure time of 1"

Place
The "target" tree is 60 meters away, while on the bottom right corner there is a couple of trees/palms/bushes from 1 to 4 meters far away, to show sidespill.

The Flashlights
- Dereelight DBS V2 R2 running on 1 Ultrafire Protected 18650 2400 mAh, SMO reflector
- Tiablo A9 Q5 with Aspheric Head, running on 2 SF123
- Custom Tiablo "TrollerAspheric" - it is this one: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/242025 it is my modified Tiablo A9 with a big Aspheric lens, of the same size as the one used in the DEFT.
- Neofab Legion II running on 3 Ultrafire Protected 18650 2400 mAh, NEW OP reflector (as you'll see there is no hole in the beam)
- Surefire M6-LFHO: it has the Lumens Factory HO-M6R bulb running on 6 Ultrafire 16340 (RCR123) 880 mAh
- Surefire M6-WA1185: it has the WA1185 bulb (with Fivemega bi-pin holder) running on 3xAW17670. I did two beamshots, one with the beam in "normal mode" (just a tiny bit more floody than the LF bulb) and the other with the beam in full flood mode.
- Mag SSR-90: it is a black 4D Mag with SSR-90 emitter. It is powered by 4 NiMh D-cells rated 1,2V and 2300mAh each. In this configurations, it delivers exactly 3,6 Volts to the led and just a little bit less than 9 Amps. It has UCL lens and MOP reflector, but the opening is too big and so there is a cross hole in the center of the beam. But it still is veeeery powerful!! So floody!!
- Mag SSR-90 SuperAspherical: same as before but here I installed my big aspherical lens (the same as before for the Tiablo "TrollerAspheric"). It does not out-throw the Super Tiablo, but it still puts out TONS of light!
- Surefire L4 MCE modded: modded by AarnonM, it has a warm tint MCE led, with a sanded dome to give an absolutely smooth and pure wall of light, with no hotspot
- XTAR D30 Howitzer (genII): it's the second gen of the D30 (black), mine is serial #13, and it puts out a lot lot of light
- Vector VEC192 2x55W HID: a classic VEC192 mod with 2x 55W H7 HID bulbs, chinese ballast, 5000K color temperature (perfect white IMO - I thought 4300 was better, but only in a car where you want to be discrete. here 5000 is best, it's pure white light IMHO)

Declared / Estimated Outputs:
DBS: 250 lumens??
A9: 250 lumens??
Legion II: Level 1: 98, L2: 157, L3: 264, L4: 456, L5: 742 Torch Lumens
M6-LFHO: 700 Bulb Lumens
M6-WA1185: 1280 Bulb Lumens
Mag SSR-90: around 2000-2100 Bulb Lumens
D30 (Gen2): 50 lumens low, 500 lumens med, 2000 lumens high
L4 MCE: around 280-300 OTF lumens
VEC192: around 10.000+ lumens

I apologize in advance for the big pictures but that's the only way to spot differences... otherwise it would be impossible!

Pictures of the Tiablo "TrollerAspheric" can be found here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/242025

And now for the Beamshots!

CONTROL SHOT:
controlshot.jpg

Surefire G2L (P60L) for reference:
g2lp60l.jpg

SF L4 MCE
l4mce.jpg

DBS
dbsr2.jpg

Legion II - L1
legioniil1.jpg

Legion II - L2
legioniil2.jpg

Legion II - L3
legioniil3.jpg

Legion II - L4
legioniil4.jpg

Legion II - L5
legioniil5.jpg

M6-LFHO
m6lfhor.jpg

M6-WA1185 (normal)
m685norm.jpg

M6-WA1185 (flood)
m685flood.jpg

Mag SSR-90 (MOP reflector very floody)
magssr90flood.jpg

A9 - Standard Aspherical
a9aspherical.jpg

A9 - "TrollerAspheric" for max throw. Same as here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/242025
trollerasphericspot.jpg

Mag SSR-90 with big "TrollerAspheric" lens
magssr90aspheric.jpg

D30 - Low
d30low.jpg

D30 - Med
d30med.jpg

D30 - High
d30high.jpg

VEC192 110W HID - one lamp only
vec192110whid1lamp.jpg

VEC192 110W HID - Both lamps
vec192110whid2lamp.jpg

So this is it.

Some comments:
1) these pics don't do justice to the M6-WA1185... don't know why but believe me in the real life is much better than the LF-HOM6R
2) even if the Mag SSR-90 is incredibly bright, with the big aspherical lens yes it puts out tons of light, but it cannot outthrow the Tiablo A9 with the same lens. Too big emitter. To have the same performance in terms of throw, you'd have to have a lend twice as big!
I think, infact, that the standard Mag aspherical lens (52 mm, which is the same as the standard tiablo A9 aspherical) would be needless.

Any comments are welcome!

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Thanks for those great pics.

I am in the process of thinking what palm sized thrower to get next and that pic of the Tiablo A9 is superb and shows what a tight bright beam it has:cool:, very nice for the application I need it for.
Got any further distance pics by any chance??

You haven't got a Jetbeam RRT 1 there to test as well have you:grin2:?

Gotta ask:D

Cheers,

Steve.

troller_cpf

Enlightened
I am planning to take some beamshot at a bigger distance, I have a forest nearby my house but I want to find out the distance first.

Concerning the RRT, I think, from what I've read/heard that flashlights like Tiablo A9, Tiablo A10, Raptor and Spear have more or less the same throw, and in the real world usage you can't spot real differences... :D

maxilux

Enlightened
Thanks for the review.
Can you compare the Legion to the DBS only throw, looks like they make the same distance ? Can it be ?

maxilux

Enlightened
Thanks for those great pics.

I am in the process of thinking what palm sized thrower to get next and that pic of the Tiablo A9 is superb and shows what a tight bright beam it has:cool:, very nice for the application I need it for.
Got any further distance pics by any chance??

You haven't got a Jetbeam RRT 1 there to test as well have you:grin2:?

Gotta ask:D

Cheers,

Steve.

What i say, one of the best for your application! The RRT-1 cant make this throw.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pictures troller_cpf,

They confirm the throwing ability of A9. I have it also, and everyone who see it becomes impressed. It's like a crossbreed between a flashlight and a laserpointer.

Regards, Patric

neoseikan

Enlightened
Super nice beamshots!

Thank you, troller_cpf!

The Legion II is looking mighty good! :hitit:
Anybody test the new SMO reflector?
Many of you ordered.
The dark hole is much small than the old version. But I hope to know how it throws.

jahxman

Enlightened
The A9 beam looks quite similar to my Dereelight DBS V3 with Aspheric head and R2 pill, it would be interesting to see them side by side. On a foggy night its like a fat white laser beam.

When I get my new Legion II I plan on taking comparison shots for throw and general field illumination between my Legion II, TK40, Olight M30, Epsilon PD72, Eagletac M2CX, MG PLI, and the DBS w/MC-E. maybe put in some throw comparison chots of the DBS/R2 w/aspheric and the Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor, an excellent thrower.

SkunkWerx

Newly Enlightened
Great pics! thanks.

I notice the M6 also lights up everything in between quite nicely.
I didn't know the A9 had such a tight beam. :eek:

Good work out in the real world. Sometimes walls don't tell the whole story. :twothumbs

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep looking at this thread and just stare at the M6 :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll have to get one sooner than I was planning!

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Me too, I kept looking at the A9 shot and ordered one today with the collimator . Should be here tomorrow:)

I have been after a thrower that does not spill for a while and hope it is as good as the pics show.

Steve.

troller_cpf

Enlightened
TWO UPDATES:

I am in the pre-order list for the new XTAR Howitzer 1700 lumens light... as soon I get it here (I think in 45 days...) I'll update the pics! ;)

I am also going to get the Aspherical Lens for my DBS R2, so I'll make a direct comparison with the Tiablo A9.

cheers

Latest posts