Looking for Flashlight Recommendation

haskins02

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate opinions on this. I am looking for a flashlight that meets these criteria:

• Costs no more than $60 (ideally around $50)
• High output LED (Cree or similar)
• Uses Li-ion or NiHM rechargeable batteries, but is NOT a plug-in rechargeable
• Regulated light output for a constant 180+ lumens for at least 2 hours (preferably 4 hours), with a tight long-distance beam
• Needs to have sufficient quality to last several years with daily (10 minutes/day) use

Not important:
• Small size is not important, but no larger than a 3-cell D Maglite
• Different modes of operation are not necessary
• Does not need to be water proof or shockproof but is not fragile either

I am considering a Fenix LD20, but the 2 hour runtime at 180 Lumens is bare minimum.

Thanks.
Greg

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
2hour runtime with 180 lumens, thrower and under 60$ and great quality? im suprised if you find one.

few options that do come in mind that almost fit the bill:

Solarforce L2. add an 18650 extender so you get two 18650s.

eagletac t100c2 could be also one too to look at.

and possibly

maglite 2d or 3d and an great led drop in? (again not a real thrower)

haskins02

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I may be "over my head" here. I don't intend to build a flashlight, just buy one. I never heard of the Solarforce L2 or Eagletac T100C2, and when I Google them, I cannot confirm what I need to know. I also don't know anything about 18650 batteries. Is it basically two RCR123A batteries? Oh well. Any further suggestions appreciated. Perhaps I should lower my expectations.

Greg

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Rayovac 4-watt...they're available locally at sears...pretty close to your lumens expectations, and a good light for the $35 price tag...not tactical by any means, but when you turn it on at your next camping trip, or at work, people will be impressed...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much to get 180 lumens for 2+ hours you need either 18650 or NiMh C/ D cells.
18650s are Lithium Ion cells that are commonly used in laptop battery packs. It's like a double length (and a bit fatter) RCR123. They have 3 (almost four) times the energy capacity of an RCR123.

Solarforce L2s are essentially Chinese clones of Surefire 6P hosts. The thing is finding a quality regulated D26 dropin is a bit more difficult. Most dropins won't regulate well on an 18650.
A module from Dereelight (available thru flashlightconnection.com) may be the best choice to keep costs down. CPF member Nailbender sells nice P60 dropins in the Custom & Mod B/S/T section and he can get you one that will regulate well on 18650.
In essence you are doing lego work putting a light together. Though it won't be much of a thrower

As there are very few quality C and D cell lights, but the new M@g LEDs using rebel LEDs should do the trick. Grab a couple of NiMh D cells from BatteryJunction and you're set. M@gs throw quite well and are available in all sorts of Brick and Mortar stores.

For a smaller light an Eagletac T100C2 will do the trick. Regulated on 18650 for over 2 hours and throws very well for a light of it's size. This is likely my best recommendation. Plus PTS gives a nice CPF discount, as well as great service.

Toaster

Enlightened
Keep an eye out for the upcoming Lumapower 2C Tool Light. Running on 2xC nimh cells you're looking at about 3.5 hrs at 200 lumens, plus another half hour of usable output. Price may creep in a bit over your budget since the only info so far is that it will be below $80. But there's really no other options of this quality in this form factor. More info here.

haskins02

Newly Enlightened
The new Eagle Tac T100C2 Mark 11 seems like my best choice so far. Is it available now? (I can't tell from the website.) I would use it with a 18650 Li-ion battery. Would it be a good choice if I bought (from Battery Junction) a single Ultrafire 18650 2400 mah Button Top protected battery and a TL-100 Universal Li-ion Charger?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am confused about 18650 batteries, in general. Per PhantomPhoton, "18650s are Lithium Ion cells...like a double length (and a bit fatter) RCR123." So I only need one of them instead of two CR123As for this Eagle Tac flashlight. But the above 18650 battery has a nominal 3.7V, while a single Tenergy CR123A has 3.0V. Two CR123As result in 6.0V, so how can a single 16650 battery have sufficient voltage? Also, how can a 18650 battery fit in the same flashlight that holds CR123A batteries, since it is fatter?

Thanks again.
Greg

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
just looking at the time when you have registered into cpf its confusing that you havent read of this stuff yet..

here we go.. i just hope i make some sense.. others that know better are allowed to correct me..

18650 battery is rechargable li.ion battery (its name comes from its size.. 18mm thick.. 65mm long.. 0 means cylindrical.) 18650 are 3.6v battery (thats their nominal voltage.. asthey are charged the actual voltage is above 4.. 4.2 or so)

rechargable version of cr123 is actually rcr123 is also known as 16340 (16mm thick etc)
most cr123 are 3.0v..
and rcr123s as they are rechargable are 3.6v (that is the nominal voltage.. actually after charging they are about 4.2v)

Not all flashlights work with two cr123/rcr123s and 18650 just because the two cr123s have higher voltage than single li.ion cell.

it is depending of the flashlight and its desing if they work with both or all three (18650, rcr and crs). it all depends what is the voltage area the the led and the its driver are optimized. (some are just under 4.5v some are up to 12v etc)

just to confuse some more.. there is a 2*cr123 sized one cell battery too.. 17670 (3.6v) it is used in lights that just cannot hold the bigger 18650 due smaller diameter battery tube. (but can work with 3v setup)

some flashlights that allow cr123 and/or 18650 do rattle with smaller diameter batteries.

eagletac mkII is available at eagletac-store (also remember you do get 8% off the price with cpf discount there too.. and free shipping)

**and if you really need 2 hours of light then you definately need a spare battery as backup..

*cr123 as primary batteries are good to have if you are using the light in very cold climate. they hold the charge better than rechargables. have couple of them as back up spares.. rechargables are cheaper in long run in heavy use.

Last edited:

haskins02

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the explanation. That clears a lot up. (Even though I have been a CPF member for a long time, it is typically for a few days only, then nothing for a few years, and so on.)

Considering the variables, would Ultrafire 18650 2400 mah Button Top protected batteries and a TL-100 Universal Li-ion Charger work well with the Eagle Tac T100C2 Mark 11, or would there be any incompatibilities?

I never heard about free shipping and 8% off the price if I am a CPF member, either! Does that only apply to online Eagletac stores? I went to their website and did not see how CPF members quality for this savings. Could anyone clarify?

Thanks again for all the help.
Greg

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a hush-hush secret, only to know by the cpf users (and few other forums) ;)

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181841

thats a thread that shows all companies that give or has given discounts to people registered to cpf.

eagletac-store and 4sevens are basically the same company.. so the CPF8 discount code that i have used at 4sevens site for fenix and quark etc should apply too. (during checkout there is an small box to type this code into.)

i have no experience with those batteries nor the charger..

i use trustfire 18650s (the blue ones and the newer black ones) i ordered them from dealextreme (cheap chinese site.. delays are frequent and quality can vary, so buyer beware) but they do get a nod from most people as "good bang for buck".

if you look best /better ones.. look at AW batteries.. either from cpf marketplace or 4sevens as they sell them too. and a decent cheap charger that is well liked in cpf.. the ultrafire wf139.

**added info about batteries.. i believe its smart to pick batteries with built in protection circuit.. so they should not drain dangerously empty in use. as the voltage drops too low it shuts down. many upper class flashlights have built-in protection circuit too. but i like my li-ions to have the circuit, for added safety.

haskins02

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again NonSenCe for some great no nonsense info. I will also see if EagleTac will accept the CPF8 discount code used by 4sevens, even though 4sevens does not sell any EagleTac lights.

Greg

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again NonSenCe for some great no nonsense info. I will also see if EagleTac will accept the CPF8 discount code used by 4sevens, even though 4sevens does not sell any EagleTac lights.

Greg

They do, they're a dealer for EagleTac lights. It's just that the website is separate.

shark_za

Enlightened
I'm a newbie on CPF but I am also building up a bright long use light like NonSenCe posted.

Solarforce L2 is a good clone of the Surefire 6P with a bored out 18mm capable tube.
There is a cheap extender that will allow the use of 2x 18650 rechargeable cells (7.4v nominal but more like 8.5v)
I have a regulated Lumens Factory R2 3.6v-13v for this and its simply plug and play.
I may do the same on a Lumens Factory Seraph as soon as I get it next week.

325addict

Enlightened
A Fenix TK20. A real thrower, although not 180 Lumens, it is BRIGHT and has a fairly good color of the light output.
It is powered by 2 simple AAs. Take two good, high capacity NiMHs (2700mAh) and you'll get at least 90 minutes of runtime (just measured current with two brand new alkalines: 1.4 Amps on high, 170mA on low).

Timmo.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
my solarforce L2 is running a 1x18650 and the dereelight 3SD with a SMO reflector and it outthrows my malkoff M60 by a good bit and runs forever (gets warm) I love this setup for throw, it doesn't require expensive lensing and focusing, just drop-in, turn on, enjoy!