Uses for a 56K fax modem?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cleaning the closet and came across an unwrapped one I bought as a spare wayyyy back. Do these things have any use in this day?

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Well, I still see them on the shelves with price tags a-danglin', so someone must still have a use. Maybe you should mount it in a frame and hang it on the wall. That's what I'd do. :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I leave a 56K installed in my PC just as a backup; should your regular provider drop their connection, or you just forget to pay the bill, it's a small insurance policy.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
used to be it cost $50 a month for high speed internet and dialup was $15-$25 but now entry level DSL prices are just as cheap and 10 times as fast

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about the fax uses. Many places have an e-mail contact so sending documents is fairly easy. I dunno how the net works WRT access numbers these days. I know it would be slow. Hmm...did a quick search and there seems to be plenty of providers still having dial-up access...interesting.

If you were to lose your home access, what would you do?

gorn

Enlightened
Fax is the only use mine gets. Most companies will send you documents via email, but there are still some companies that "have rules" against emails and require a fax. Other than that they have no use for me at all.