NiteCore SmartPD D20 R2??

ObiHann

Newly Enlightened
Hey All,

Some of you may know me from edcf, and know my post about a search for a light for SAR. My current EDC light, and my best flashlight, is a leatherman S3, its about 100 lumen and I love it. However..... I recently joined my local SAR team and have realized that I want something that is capable of being brighter, that is bigger and heavier (harder to loose) and uses aa batteries. The folks at edcf are a great bunch and helped me a lot, but I wanted to ask again here since you guys are the pros for flashlights. I'm thinking that the NiteCore SmartPD D20 R2 would be a great primary flashlight, its in my price range, and the power and size I want. My question is 2 part, 1) is this a good light? 2) is there a better light for my money? obviously I am talking the same price range, and by better I mean quality, or lumens. I'm looking forward to the 200 lumens, but more is better :) Only kicker is I'm in Canada, so shipping/customs/etc can be a headache, so a store like 4sevens is preferable, since they make things a bit easier.

Thanks!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes, it is a most excellent light. There are of course a couple of other options that you should check out - primarily the Quark series which is 4sevens' own brand, but for the price I don't think you will do much better than the D20. I really like the piston drive system: it's simple, easy to use, and reliable - and the D20 has probably the best implementation of the Nitecore lineup. The light feels very solidly built.

The R2 versions tend to have slightly warmer beam (than the Q5) which, although it isn't my personal preference, will probably be an advantage for you as I imagine you will be using it outdoors.

The D20 has a very well designed reflector that produces a smooth beam: this cuts down on outright throw a little bit, but it is very useable outdoors.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
about SAR.. do you really need low output in that? i kinda figured it beeing more like high and higher output needs?

(i think that the leatherman should suffice for the low output needs?)

if you want AA powered light How about the Fenix tk20 , solid, yellow rubber grip for visibility and warmer grip in cold, warm tint (good for greens and browns etc.. in nature) simple to use 2mode, thrower for good distance. and +10hour runtime on "low".

but the quark series is not a bad idea either. (again i vote for the warm tint..even if they have less output.)

**separate thought.. i vote for using same battery type in the main used flashlights you carry in such scenario.. s3 is cr123 light.. so maybe quark 2*cr123 light. (one cell light can still use the cells from the 2cell light.. you only need to carry one type of spare batteries with you)

the backup light for these 2 main lights, may use something more common like AA or AAA as it should only be used if others fail or go empty. best if they all would use same. 1 multi cell, 2 single cell lights, atleast 3 spares.

burntoshine

Enlightened
i really think you should give the Fenix TK40 a try. i bought 16 energizer rechargeables for it and it's been great. i carry the spare 8 batteries in a knife sheath on my belt. i use the TK40 for all my outdoor excursions and i absolutely love it!

IMO it's just the right size & weight and the levels are well spaced out and max is really, really bright.

Toaster

Enlightened
I wouldn't consider the D20 to be a good candidate for SAR operations. The output is high, but it has about the lowest throw in it's class and is much more suited for short range illumination tasks. I'm curious, what kinds of lights are other people in your SAR team using?

HKJ

Flashaholic
However..... I recently joined my local SAR team and have realized that I want something that is capable of being brighter, that is bigger and heavier (harder to loose) and uses aa batteries.

I wonder why you insist on AA batteries, 18650 batteries are much better, lots of power, rechargeable and not as heavy.
And for a nice light, try checkin the EagleTac M2C4/M2XC4, it has a very good user interface for holding it low. You can turn it on and select output with a easy turning ring, without changing you grip on the light or having super agile fingers.
The light has only two disadvantage: it is to easy to select strobe and you need to turn it off on the switch, not the ring, when you are storing it.

Viper715

Enlightened
+1 on 18650 over AA for SAR. You can use RCR18650 RCR123 and standard primary 123 in many 18650 that means you can start the search with RCR and when they run low you can have primaries on standby. I'm a fan of smaller lights so I can carry multiple lights instead of multiple batteries but the Eagletac is good as well as the Olight M30. I have also been impressed with the Olight M20 for long range throw. I would also keep an eye out for the 47's MCE coming out. That is the size and brightness I am talking about. I currently have a MD2 with an M60 and a custom with a M30 with 18500's so I can use a single AA in a pinch.

apdb90

Newly Enlightened
I've just recently stopped carrying a D20 R2 as an EDC (try to carry most of what we have so I'm as familiar as possible with each), and have a similar background in that I have LE, FD, EMS, Helo time, etc. I REALLY like the D20 R2 and quite honestly like it better than the one cell lights because I have issues with single cell lights being too small to carry where the D20 sits very securely because it reaches the entire depth of my pocket. It is a ROCK SOLID light. That said, unless you're looking at it as an admin type light to read maps and close up work where it really excels, it isn't much of a thrower.

I personally love the Inforce-White for SAR type ops. Obviously, every ounce counts when you're humping gear up/down/around a mountain, and the carbon fiber body makes for a LIGHT light....no pun intended. The throw on these really has to be seen to be believed, it offers you variable output, and I really like the beacon strobe (one flash on high a second) for SAR ops. Especially from a Command viewpoint. You have guys on a mountain side with one of these clipped to their pack, or in their hands on beacon strobe, and they work REALLY well to keep track of where all your people are.

I've carried one on duty as LE, and have one mounted on my M4 (actually 6920 for the gun folks out there), and so far have been completely pleased with the performance and durability. Don't be "fooled" by the 150 lumen rating. I'm not sure what it really is, but I can say that in a visually perceived output, it contends with lights rated significantly higher.

Finally, the user interface is great. Very similar to the Blackhawk Gladius or Insight Typhoon.

If/when you get your PM's up, please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Latest posts