Homemade SSC-P7 bicycle helmet light

camra88

Newly Enlightened
Took about a month of work, and I made slight modifications in the design as the build continued (as is evidenced by the places with the goop on the sides). I took it outside on a test run tonight, and it was like having a million-candle-power spotlight on the top of my head. Except this thing only weighs about a pound or so.

It's not finished (need a switch still, and need to finish sealing the container to make sure its water-tight). But it's good enough for now...

Looks junky and ghetto, but hey, it works :cool:

The front:

43630152.jpg

A closeup (my camera sucks):

43630153.jpg

The back (the small battery is for test run only. The bigger batteries you see will be hooked in parallel to give about 2.5 hours run time on high):

43630154.jpg

And at a slightly different angle:

43630155.jpg

And there it is! :D

Last edited:

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Good job, camra88! I bet it lights up the road really well. Are you using a driver or resistor? And get us a beam shot, if possible. Cheers, Jeff

camra88

Newly Enlightened
Thank you :D

I'm using a KD driver. How long it lasts is anyone's guess. Once it blows, I'll be getting the hipCC driver, though... :twothumbs

Is there special settings I should use on my camera to get a beam shot? It turns pitch-black-night into day on the forest trails... that is for sure!!

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
It looks well cool, does it need the heatsink that big, or is it just to be on the safe side ?, just asking as I have a torch with same led, and am worried now in case it needs more heatsink.
tabetha

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want 1-second exposure for the beamshot.

The nice thing about a P7 flashlight is that you can tell when it's getting too hot because...it gets hot. If you can still hold it the LED will be fine.

camra88

Newly Enlightened
The big heat sink is to be on the safe side. Because on my bike, I wont always be moving... so the bigger heat sink hopefully gives me a buffer while at rest. This is meant to be run for over 2 hours continuous, also.

R/C guy all the way -- brushless e-maxx!!