How to introduce a NOOB in to our comminuity?

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
So, I gave my best friend a Fenix L1D and he's now completely hooked!! A single AA with 6 modes!! WHOOHOO He's the type that he won't use something unless it just works, and the L1D is serving him well. He even EDC's it on his belt!! Christmas and a prior b-day last year, I gave him a Niteze modded 2AA minim@g and an RC-G2, BUT he's still clinging on to his M@g 4-6 D cell incan mags!! What can I do to "break" him gently into our community? Should I let him see the great mod's some of us have done to D cell mags? Let him drool over beam shots? Ask him to do a run time test on his incans VS. a modded D-cell mag? He has been very sarcastic about my flashaholism and he needs to see the light. I keep my WF-400 18650 hidden from him for the day he wants more "light," and then, and only then I'll allow him to play, but may just wait for him to "come around." Thanks for any tips y'all can give me, g'nite.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why gently? Trial by fire! He'll be fine, just like everyone else :)

Compare a new small high lumen single cell light against his Mag.

linty

Newly Enlightened
Maybe just give him one of those malkoff dropins as a starter?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe just give him one of those malkoff dropins as a starter?

Quoted for truth. He may not notice it... until he turns it on. And it's still cheaper than some of the quad-bored regulated hotwires you people are discussing.

HKJ

Flashaholic
BUT he's still clinging on to his M@g 4-6 D cell incan mags!! What can I do to "break" him gently into our community?

Give him a thrower or a MC-E/P7 light.
Here is the light from a Mag 6D:
DSC_4819.jpg

From a JetBeam RRT-1:
DSC_4798.jpg

OLight M30:
DSC_4784.jpg

There are more beamshots here: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/12 beamshoots UK.html

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
Give him a thrower or a MC-E/P7 light.
Here is the light from a Mag 6D:
DSC_4819.jpg

From a JetBeam RRT-1:
DSC_4798.jpg

OLight M30:
DSC_4784.jpg

There are more beamshots here: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/12%20beamshoots%20UK.html

All I can say WOW o WOW o WOW, I think my next purchase might be a Jetbeam or an OLite! Thanks to all that replied!! Maybe I'll send this thread link him. Oh yeah, I also introduced him to TRITIUM!!! I guess he'll have to meet B@rt down the road now, lol

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think my next purchase might be a Jetbeam or an OLite!

The two lights are very different, the JetBeam RRT-1 concentrates the light in a small beam, the OLight M30 just fills everything with light (It has about 3 times the light output or RRT-1).
At longer distances the RRT-1 is best, but at shorter distances I prefer the M30 (Look at the trees closets to the light, M30 is lightning them, RRT-1 is not).