Nexstar 2C as host for LED upgrade?

SkunkWerx

Newly Enlightened
Help a noob, please.
After reading a few posts I have decided to forget doing the Mini-mag LED drop-in.

I do have this Brinkmann Nexstar 2C light which hasn't seen a lot of use. It's heavy, thick aluminum, which I understand is helpful for a heatsink. Also have the 2AA Nexstar (was a gift pack years ago), which is also heavy for it's size, but, I think I'll go with the 2C as far as Frankensteining goes.
nexstar2c.jpg

The bulb's base socket is held in by a real snap ring! :eek:oo: So I left it alone for for pic purposes.

Went over to DX and looked around, quite a selection of gadgetry and parts! I'm at a loss.

Parameters:
-Not looking to burn holes in walls, but looking for some more lumnens than a typical 1AA LED.
-Runtime: would like to have decent runtime, while meeting a modest lumen requirement.
-Trying to stick with Alki's or NiMh, keeping the 2C capacity. (Maybe ability to swap in a LiIon? but not necessary).
-Single mode. Nothing fancy.

Basically a middle-of-the-road upgrade. I see using it in 5 or maybe 10 minute increments, like during a powerfailure, but giving enough light to fire up a generator, or check a circuit in a circuit panel.

Is this a reasonable endeavor? Are there showstoppers that make this a dumb thing to try?

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Any and all info appreciated!

Last edited:

SkunkWerx

Newly Enlightened
Ooops, just found the Homemade & Modified lights section. :ohgeez:

Attn: Mods, please move this thread, if it belongs there?