P7 yellow dome?

bstrickler

Enlightened
I just noticed that the dome on my P7 in my WF-1000L has a yellow dome, not a clear one like everybody elses.

Is there a known reason for that? I've never run it without a heatsink for more than 1/4 second at most.

Will the yellow dome possibly cause the LED to be/seem dimmer than it should be?

~Brian

RelativeEng

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed that the dome on my P7 in my WF-1000L has a yellow dome, not a clear one like everybody elses.

Is there a known reason for that? I've never run it without a heatsink for more than 1/4 second at most.

Will the yellow dome possibly cause the LED to be/seem dimmer than it should be?

~Brian

Are you sure the dome is actually yellow or are you confusing it with the phosphorous layer of the die?

bstrickler

Enlightened
The dome itself is yellow. I even looked at it sideways, and the dome still looked yellow.

I'll have pics in a bit. Gotta do some other stuff first.

~Brian

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the same thing. Early P7's have a yellowish tinted dome where the newer ones are perfectly clear.

Mac

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also noticed that many lights come with foggy dome. I'm wondering what could be the cause (maybe bad storage conditions?). Well, some say, that they sand the dome intentionally for a smoother beam...:confused:

left is P7 with clear dome from our local distributor and right is P7 with foggy dome from solarforce L950M.
sscp7clearfuzzy.jpg

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sand the dome??? I have gotten p7's that looked hazy as pictured on the right straight out of the reel.

Mac

RelativeEng

Newly Enlightened
I purchase P7s by the reel and every once in a while I come across a foggy dome. I think it just happens in manufacturing and some don't get caught by QC.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried cleaning the dome? It may just be dirty, looks dirty to me since I see small dirt spots. I find the best way to clean them without touching is drop denatured alcohol on the gummi dome and blow it off with some canned air, more stubborn dirt you can very gently rub out with your finger when it's wet with alcohol then blow clean and repeat the cleaning procedure to remove any trace of oils from your hand.

bstrickler

Enlightened
I just got my other P7 emitter in the mail today, and its a nice clear gummy dome. I think its just the dome thats odd. Doesn't bother me, I was just curious. I'll take comparison pictures later, so you can see what I'm talking about.

~Brian

BeachBoy

Newly Enlightened
I purchase P7s by the reel and every once in a while I come across a foggy dome. I think it just happens in manufacturing and some don't get caught by QC.

You should resell P7 for cheaper on the marketplace..
I guess you work at visionx? ;)

Last edited: