Which P7 or MC-E drop-in?

Dobbler

Enlightened
Yes, I've read the P60 sticky thread. I'm looking for a recommendation though... don't want skeptical quality, but hoping not to break the bank either.

I have a Surefire 6P and I want:
1. something significantly brighter than a Cree R2 (have one of those)
2. a massive wall of light, not too concerned about throw
3. to run on a single 18650 (yes, my 6P is bored for it) but two RCR123 would be OK
4. [optional] two-levels of output (am I dreaming here?)

Which P7 or MC-E (or other option?) would you recommend, and why?

Last edited:

AndrewZorn

Newly Enlightened
I've lurked quite a bit, but had to register after I read this, because your situation is so similar to mine. I do this to offer my input, but because I'm no expert and because I've already ordered (but not received) my drop-ins, I am also looking for answers too.

First off, I haven't found a P7 drop-in, and learned/was told that due to the heat issues, there would likely never be one. So I looked for an MC-E.
EDIT so there apparently is a P7 drop-in, custom-made. Oh well. Should have read here earlier. But the battery life supposedly isn't what the MC-E gets...

I was issued a 6p and knew I instantly had to have a floody LED upgrade for it. After hours on DealExtreme and here, I came up with this: I had to buy a new P60 body and upgrade two flashlights simultaneously. I wanted 18650 but did not have the means to bore my 6P. I ordered an R2 to go in my CR123A-only 6P, since it seemed like the best way to go... this also means I can have a spotlight 6P and a second light for the ultimate flood. Just found out tonight that the model of R2 drop-in I ordered has recently been changed and now sucks... I should have purchased a different R2 drop-in. My shopping was based on the number of [good] reviews and minimizing the number of modes, that's why I ended up with what I purchased, which has recently turned into garbage, I'm told.

Anyway, the other thing I ordered was a WF-502B, a 6P-like body to use 18650s on and house an MC-E. There's an MC-E drop-in on DealExtreme I bought for just this (there only seems to be one). I could not justify paying for any of the Malkoff drop-ins, maybe if I'm very disappointed with the DealExtreme one then I will.

So I'll have a 6P with 123As and a now-junk R2 drop-in and a WF-502B with an 18650 and the MC-E drop-in.

Hopefully all this arrives tomorrow. I admit I've lost sleep over waiting for the stuff to get here, it's been almost 3 weeks.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a custom made one from Nailbender in Custom & Mod B/S/T. That's the only way you'll get one that works from a single 18650. If you don't mind 2x RCR123 (use IMRs imho) then get a Malkoff. That's about it for quality P60 P7/ MC-E droipns afaik.

Toaster

Enlightened
Just forget about the dropin and wait for the 4Sevens MC-E light. Flood beam, runs on 1x18650 or 2x(R)CR123, multiple levels, compact, and has thermal protection. Better than any currently available drop-in you can put in that 6P.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better than any currently available drop-in you can put in that 6P.

That's a matter of opinion. The 4Sevens light likely won't be regulated with an 18650.
Plus if one already has the host why not put it to use? Furthermore a custom dropin can be made with a variety of LEDs including ones with neutral tint.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Malkoff M60 MC-E, with two RCR123 cells. Lots of flood. Pushing about 470 lumens out the front.

It's a Malkoff, so you know it's quality.

Recently picked up an M60W MC-E warm for my FM-bodied 6P. :)

Toaster

Enlightened
That's a matter of opinion. The 4Sevens light likely won't be regulated with an 18650.

It may not be regulated on max on 18650, but then again neither is the Nailbender drop-in. Hardly a reason to pass on it seeing as there are no better options.

Plus if one already has the host why not put it to use? Furthermore a custom dropin can be made with a variety of LEDs including ones with neutral tint.

What will produce the better product in the end? 6P + custom dropin or 4Sevens MC-E? In this case I'm quite confident it will be the 4Sevens MC-E since it will have a purpose built driver, body, thermal regulation, well designed reflector, and backed by a 10 yr warranty. That's why not to use the host he already has.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my SSC P7's out the other night ...

They throw just fine , took out my MTE SSC P7 [ Emitter Swap ] and now does close to full power + some [ 2.6 - 3.1A measured at the tail ] , Also took out my Solarforce L2 SSC P7 [ 2.4A measured at the tail ] .

Im just amazed that the SSC P7 has not caught on for P60 hosts , especially as they dont seem to run near as hot as a MC-E :thinking:

2A to 2.2A to the LED seems to be just about right , I have 2 L2's and a Ultrafire 502B , all different tints , running this Amp range .. Medium is more than enough light output , on high , its a little too much for close up work , but they throw 100Yards + and sure do light things up . I do like my R2's and I have to say there fantastic , but for indoor / backyard use the beam is a little narrow , and this is where the P7's just rock . A very nice balance of Flood VS throw .
A great combo for around the house and then some . :thumbsup:
Im going to make my MTE SST-50 when the LED arrives , so I will have a spare P7 LED , Im thinking of doing two more P60 SSC P7 drop ins , one will be for 2 x 18650 .

Dobbler

Enlightened
I've read elsewhere on CPF that the P7 runs hotter than the MC-E... ???