Present advice needed

magus

Newly Enlightened
I'm buying a present for a lady and as you can imagine it will be a flashlight. Unfortunately I'm a total beginner when it comes to flashlights so I need your help. The flashlight must be, above all, stylish but also good quality and cost no more than 65$. It must be suitable for everyday use and it should fit in a pocket or a handbag. Although I don't want it to be very tiny like a keyring lamp. I have thought that Jetbeam E3P could be one option but what do you recommend?

computernut

Enlightened
I gave my fiancee a Leatherman S2 that she loves. The runtime isn't that long on high because of the AAA battery but it's small and fits in the pen slot of her purse. It only has 2 modes (high/low) so it's easy to use. Something with a complicated UI isn't for people that aren't flashaholics.

I'm buying a present for a lady and as you can imagine it will be a flashlight. Unfortunately I'm a total beginner when it comes to flashlights so I need your help. The flashlight must be, above all, stylish but also good quality and cost no more than 65$. It must be suitable for everyday use and it should fit in a pocket or a handbag. Although I don't want it to be very tiny like a keyring lamp. I have thought that Jetbeam E3P could be one option but what do you recommend?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

:welcome:

Jetbeam E3P is a stylishly SS encased light, however, I find it a bit too hefty to be lugging around. A better option, if you prefer steel, is Fenix LD01 SS. It's an AAA light that's easy to operate with its 3 level output and it's one of the brightest. Another option is Nitecore EZ AA. A simple 2 level twisty and world's smallest AA light.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
E3P is uniquely stylish, and purses are already heavy. The SS won't scratch up (or, rather, won't show it) the way type 2 anodizing does.

Alternately, the Inova T1 maybe? HA-3, clicky, very bright if a bit floody - basically perfect for general purpose flashlight use, but the lack of a low-beam may be frustrating.

Toaster

Enlightened
Add $17 to your budget and preorder the Quark AA Titanium XP-G R4. Polished titanium body, scratch proof sapphire window, the latest and brightest XP-G LED everyone is waiting for, and backed by a 10 yr warranty. Paying a little extra gets you a whole lot more in this case.

lolzertank

Enlightened
Add $17 to your budget and preorder the Quark AA Titanium XP-G R4. Polished titanium body, scratch proof sapphire window, the latest and brightest XP-G LED everyone is waiting for, and backed by a 10 yr warranty. Paying a little extra gets you a whole lot more in this case.

If you go this route, keep in mind that you'll need to wait over a month since it is in the preorder stage right now.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think that out of the requirements of stylish, quality and below $65, you going to have to pick 2

stylish and quality: La Petite Killer
quality and <$65: nitecore D10/EX10
stylish and <$65: hmmmmmmmmm :shrug: maybe an SS Ultrafire C3? but that bugger is heavy i must say.

dont forget to include flowers with the light :D

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm buying a present for a lady and as you can imagine it will be a flashlight.
No I cannot imagine.
Sure, give her a flashlight, but don't think it counts as a meaningful gift in her eyes. I don't care how cool we think it is, it's going to be "just a flashlight" to her, unless she happens to be into this hobby, too.
We think women will be appreciative, and think that it's sweet that we're concerned about their well-being, and practical for giving them something they can use-but in reality, she'll most likely think you're an idiot for giving her a stupid flashlight.

If you want to give a woman a flashlight, give her one of yours that she knows you like, or order her one when you get yourself something, and just give it to her("oh, I got you something, too").
That means you're thinking of her, even when you're thinking about your hobby.
Making an official gift of one means you're thinking of your hobby, instead of thinking about her.
You get all that?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1, Insightful

Owen said something most of us assumed had already been thought of, but ... well, you know about assumptions.

Go ahead and throw it into a gift basket - but don't forget some good chocolate, wine, and flowers. A gift certificate at Victoria's Secret or something like that may or may not be appropriate - but if it is, what the heck.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Unless you know she's into flashlights, save about $50 and get her a Fenix E01 in her favorite color. She'll appreciate it just as much as something bigger and better. Keep in mind that level of appreciation may be very low if lights don't move her.

Geoff

computernut

Enlightened
Making an official gift of one means you're thinking of your hobby, instead of thinking about her.
You get all that?

I agree. My fiancee needed a flashlight before and I was tossing around different expensive lights she should get and she wound up getting a cheap little cute plastic flashlight. She didn't want to spend that much money on a "flashlight". She was on a trip and forgot she had a Leatherman S4 multi-tool on her and they confiscated it at the airport. She missed having it and when she returned I had a replacement S4 plus I picked up a Leatherman S2 light which she was very happy with. Guess it was the right time and place. If I had just bought her the flashlight and given it to her she probably wouldn't have liked it as much but mixed in with a replacement multi-tool she probably liked the gesture.

Strange thing is that out of all my flashlights she loves my Energizer Hardbody Swivels (white, green, red LEDs) the most. I keep them in the doors of my Jeep and when she needs a light she grabs one of those.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting, sounds quite right to me.

If you want to give a woman a flashlight, give her one of yours that she knows you like, or order her one when you get yourself something, and just give it to her("oh, I got you something, too").
That means you're thinking of her, even when you're thinking about your hobby.
You get all that?

bestak

Newly Enlightened
You can try the TANK007 E06 in Red it look like this

TANK007_E06_IMG9569.jpg

(Photo (c) Lermite, from the thread lampes Torches of Hardware.fr)

I am thinking to buy 2 for my sisters

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E01,
small, bright enough, loooong runtime, easy to use, nice color choices
the perfect light for a women's bag

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did she ask you to buy her a flashlight for a present?

If no, get her diamonds and get a flashlight as something to go along with it. :p

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for giving a light as a "secondary" present.

I think it goes over better when you give someone the main gift, then you're like "oh, by the way I got a little something else for you too" as if it's not a big deal.

Until they google it and see the price :eek:

Anyway, I've given my mom a couple of lights in this manner, not really as official gifts (b'day, etc) but kind of "hey I thought this might be useful for you". They were a RiverRock 2AAA and an Energizer cree 1AA btw. They were much appreciated.