best grow light?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok im not sure where this belongs mods if ya move it please tell me where it is lol.ok i love to garden mostly tomatoes and peppers and trying spinach next and other greens.im planing on making a hydroponic system do to low light i have on back porch.whats the best cheap to run grow light

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: best grow light

At local hardware store I saw phillips has a flouro tube that's intended for growing plants.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

In all honesty, the cheapest grow light I've used is a big, daylight CFL in a reflector clamp style.

You want to use a CFL that has that obnoxius blue color that some big box stores call 'daylight' or 'full spectrum'. There's nothing 'full spectrum' about it, but full sun plants go nuts under the excessive blue spectra.

Better yet if you can get a 40-55watt version.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

good info everyone i have a aerogarden and the light does seem kinda blue it uses some kinda cfl

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

General Electric makes a plant and aquarium flourescent tube that works great too, not sure on how many lengths they offer it in.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a page that I recently found, showing the results from growing plants under different kinds of fluorescent light.

The cool-white and blue/purple plant lights did best. The Ott-Lite (advertised as "full spectrum") performed the worst by far.

Remember that the spectrum that appears brightest and most pleasing to the human eye isn't necessarily the best for plants.

I recently set up an indoor greenhouse with Nepenthes and other carnivorous plants under 4100 K compact fluorescent bulbs with reflectors. Growth hasn't been spectacular so far after 3 weeks, and I'm planning to switch to the 5500 K or 6500 K "daylight" lamps very soon.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool ill check em out would be cool if a cheap led light worked