ARC LSH-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak

Enlightened
I just recieved my ARC LSH-P. Due to my lack of knowledge I would like to know if there is suposed to be a .25 inch. swath going verticly through the threads. There are no theads in that area on the head. There is also a ton of crap around the LS. Now that I look at it, it seems the electronics were pressed in and there was exess metal that scraped the threads as it went in.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you talking about the threads inside the head that the tail screws into?

The crap around the LS -- is this inside the head looking from the tail end or do you see it when you look in the lens?

kodiak

Enlightened
It's the thread inside the head that the tailcap screws into. I see the crap when I look at the ls through the optics.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kodiak,

Okay, the swath inside the head is normal. It doesn't affect either the mating with the tailcap or the water-proof-ness of the light.

Don't know about the "crap." Could it be the "farkel" (or "farkle") that I have read about? You could search on that word, or maybe someone more knowledgeable could answer this one.

Paul

kodiak

Enlightened
Also the knurling is the worst i've ever seen. It's like no one even looked at it , or they did and tried to pass it off any way. I am so upset. I waited extra long for this light because it said it was in stock and it was'nt. So it went through ARC inspection and the dealer. I know I can return it but danm it .

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand your frustration. It can be exasperating when things like this go wrong and you so much want them to be right. I really like my Arcs, but I have to agree -- the knurling on the Arc LS is pretty wimpy.

I mentioned the knurling issue to Peter Gransee in a post commenting on what I would like to see for the Arc LS4. But I got no response.

Oh well. I like everything else about the LS. All I can do is post my vote.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul is right about the threadless swath of the head being normal. It is simply the way it is designed.

As for the "crap", Paul is also right that it is probably farkle.
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Occasionaly, you will see a sparkly pattern when looking into an off luxeon star. This pattern can also look like clear plastic chips. We call this "farkle" and it is common to practically all Luxeon Star flashlight that use the NX05 or NX01 optic. This is a cosmetic issue and will not affect the beam quality.

Farkle is caused by small pieces of silicon goop residue around the bezel of the LED. This is left over from the LED manufacture. The silicon is injected into the dome for optical coupling and there is usally a small amount of residue on the outside of the LED package.

At Arc Flashlight, we clean this bezel with alcahol swabs but invariably some farkle will remain. Again, this will not affect beam quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really shouldn't affect the beam quality. I have more than one luxeon light with farkle (including an Arc LSH-P) and it doesn't have any adverse effect on the beams that I can discern.

Now as to the knurling, I have no idea what may be wrong with it, but if you are dissatisfied your only real recourse is to return/exchange the light. Do you just not like the style of the knurling or does it appear to be defective in some way?

Good luck,
Pat

Gandalf

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kodiak said:
Also the knurling is the worst i've ever seen. It's like no one even looked at it , or they did and tried to pass it off any way. I am so upset. I waited extra long for this light because it said it was in stock and it was'nt. So it went through ARC inspection and the dealer. I know I can return it but danm it .

[/ QUOTE ]

See my post on my CPF Edition Arc-AAA. QC at Arc Flashlight really sucks, IMHO. There's absolutely *no excuse* for either you of I to pay as much money as we did, only to get a piece of crap, that never should have been shipped in the first place.

Believe me, I know just *exactly* how you feel. The Arc LSH-P (and the CPF Edition Arc-AAA, for that matter) are damn expensive. They should be close to perfect, without flaws that can be so easily and plainly seen. QC at Arc Flashlight sucks, IMHO. Your Arc LSH-P, and my CPF Edition Arc-AAA are proof of it.

An apology is in order for your Arc LSH-P, since the manufacturing flaws are so glaringly obvious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if its farkle you're referring to its normal and inherant to the high dome LS (and pretty unavoidable), but i must agree the knurling on the arc LS is pretty pointless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif i also have no idea what the channel in the threads are for, but they aren't giving any problems i know of or have experienced. other than that my arc LSH-P is still my favourite edc, and the impression i got when i received my lsh-p was no different from when i received my first surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

My Arc LSH-S came with farkle as well as some silver colored (epoxy?) inside the head which oozed a bit into the threads. Also, the anodized finish on the tailcap is a shade lighter than the head, however, none affect the performance of the flashlight. In fact, it produces the whitest light of any LED torch I own. I've dropped it, banged it accidentally against other objects and it works just like new. I absolutely love this little light and I use it with the confidence of knowing that it will not fail me when I need it most.

Many people seem to be obsessed with the cosmetics of a flashlight instead of how it performs. After all, they are meant to be used, right? Arc flashlights aren't cheap, and I can understand why some people would want to try and maintain the new look of a recently purchased high priced item, but what happens when the newness is gone? What will you do when you get that first scratch or ding on the flashlight? Are you going to continue and baby the light or are you going to use it?

Hey, if you just want to buy something to be displayed and admired, then what you seek is art, not Arc Flashlights.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
cosmic superchunk: what you have said is true, but you have to remember one of the reasons people pay top dollar for the premium arcs is because they expect to get a light that not only performs, but looks good as well. as such i think kodiak's grievances are perfectly understandable and valid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GearGuy

Newly Enlightened
The only thing I see as a problem is the farkle. Of my two, there is minimal farkle, but actually more on my Premium! The one thing about it is that it IS avoidable. I'm sure things get pretty fast ans furious around the shop, but if seven out of ten can be more or less farkle-less, there is no excuse for those that get by. Personally, I like the light and the moral of the company that makes it. There is some crap in my lens too. If you don't like it, SEND IT BACK! It'll be one more notch on the QC (which IS very good) over at Arc. There should be no kind of compromise involved with buying a $100+ light. I have seen farkle that I would send back in a heart beat. And I sent it back! Ask whoever you bought it from. They should swap it out for ya.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm ok with farkle though....doesn't do anything to the beam as far as i can tell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RY3

Enlightened
Even I do not have any complaint whatsoever on my 2 AAA (no LS yet), from what I read from posts in this forum, I do feel that the Arc's QC need to be improve. When 2 person paid the same amount of money but receive difference grade of product, there is a problem.

If I buy a "Second", I know I am taking a chance. However, if I paid full price for it, I expect the quality to be high and consistent.

And since I don't know Peter and our "relation" is simply supplier and customer, I can say whatever I want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just my 2 Canadian pennies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find an apology is much more sincere when you actually know what you are apoligizing for. Otherwise, I might leave something out. If it just because you feel bad, then I apoligize. However, I suspect their might also be some negligence involved on our part. But your post is somewhat vague. Traditionally, that is why people return the product to the manufacturer so the manufacturer can see what is wrong. Then I would feel more qualified to apologize on more than just your feelings (although feelings are very important to me).

We may find that the items you are referring to are the way the light is designed and furthermore, have already been disclosed in an open and honest way right here on the forums. I say that because you also choose the forums for your primary means of communication (I can't find any email from you on this).

So again, I apologize for your dissapointment. What sounds like farkle and design features has already been discussed in this same forum.

Peter

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kodiak -

Although I am a strong proponent of posting about a product when you have problems so that everyone is aware of issues that have come up, did you simultaneously send Peter an e-mail expressing your disappointment? I feel this would have been your best recourse and should have been done immediately if you were dissatisfied.

The "crap" around the LS - does it look like this?

arc_lsh-p_bezel.jpg

Note the gunk around the very center section of the lens - this is normal for Luxeon Stars and is not a reflection upon the quality of the light, nor does it affect output. Lumileds, the maker of the Luxeon Star is to blame, not Arc.

Can you post a picture of the knurling issue?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I scrap all the farkle off my Luxeons with a pin before mating them with the nx05 collimator They look as clean as my KL1 now! I believe the farkle don't have to be removed, just apply some clear lube between the luxeon base and the collimator, the lube 'might' even out the farkle. Mind you I haven't done it before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Getting the LSH apart is another story.

Vince.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
sorry you aren't thrilled..it especially sucks after a long wait.

I have been touting these ever since I got one that is just about perfection (on the theory that perfection is unattainable)...Although I would prefer agressive knurling, the light color, brightness and beam is amazing. The anodize is matched. ARC can do it, I know, I have the proof. If it is a defect, Peter will make it right. Do not give up, when you get one that isn't problematic ( assuming yours is) you will rejoice. Geoff.

kodiak

Enlightened
Thank you for all the feedback. First off I want to apologize to everyone for ranting before thinking. Quickbeam is right; I should have gone to the source first. I do that a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
It was late.
Having said that, I did not realize there was supposed to be a gap down the threads. So naturally I assumed it was faulty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
There is a lot of farkle around the bulb but it does not affect the bright white beam at all.
The knurling on the head is almost non-existent compared to the knurl on the tail. But since it's got a clicky that I like it's not an issue.
I love the beam; it's perfect in every way. I'm keeping it.
It will certainly be my every day carry (Hooked on a chain, hooked to my belt so it rides just above the bottom of my front pocket.
Finally I want to say I didn't realize or had forgotten the creator of the said flashlight was a member of this forum.

Zeppert

Enlightened
Just when I was about ready to buy my first LSH-P... I think I will put this on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.