Comparison Arc6 versus Novatac 120P

Gatsby

Enlightened
The Arc6 is calling to me - many aspects of this light seem to really fit my EDC needs. I love the Arc4/HDS/Novatac lights but really could function with 3 levels. The only thing I don't like about the Novatacs is the size.

The Arc6 seems a good bit smaller - does anyone have a picture of an Arc6 and HDS or Novatac light together?

Any other thoughts comparing the two lights (other than price...)?

Many thanks!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your welcome. I don't have any experience with the Arc6 but given the choice I would take the Arc over the Novatac due to its smaller size and piston drive.

Haz

Enlightened
Size wise the Arc6 is smaller than the Novatac 120P, if this is your main concern, then go for the Arc6.

Have you considered the Ralights?, they are however larger than the Novatac, but build tougher due to improvement in design. The efficiency is also higher in the Ra compared to the Novatac and Arc6.

I believe the efficiency of the Novatac is better than the Arc6

I too like the Piston Drive of the Arc6, because it feels more rugged and solid compared to a clicky switch.

3 levels is actually very sufficient in most use.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Thanks for the input! I'm perfectly satisfied with the Novatac lights really in every way as an EDC light other than their size. This was true for the HDS I owned as well. For pocket carry in business casual attire they are just a hair larger than I find totally comfortable. The Ra lights bring a lot to the table and I expect would be equally satisfying, but their larger size more or less takes them out of the running - I'll stick with the Novatac...

I'm a bit worried about the Arc6. My last experience with Arc was a 4+ that was a bit of a love/hate relationship. I loved the form factor, design and the UI. As the great grandparent to the HDS/Novatac/Ra lights there was much to like. Mine however had one of the reknowned faulty switches and despite me tinkering, a lot, to get it to work I never could. By that point, Arc had gone out of business and I was stuck with a $200 piece of artwork. If I'd hung on to it long enough and had the crystal ball to know to do so I could have gotten a decent trade in credit towards an Arc6 but I sold it basically for salvage value years ago. The HDS was a huge step forward and my HDS and Novatac lights have been rock solid reliable - if not as aesthetically pleasing as the Arc4.

The Arc6 is a sexy light and since McGizmo seems fully committed to Titanium (and the related cost) I'll likely never own one of those. The Arc6 combines programming capabilities (which I see drawn towards) with the proven McGizmo piston drive and related body mechanics. I do worry a bit about the relative lack of buzz/input on the light around here - not a lot of track record to gauge the reliability (and I value reliability quite highly - one reason I've stuck with some of my basic lights for a long time). I also worry that the efficiency is not quite as good as I'd like even in the center of the bell curve (levels 3,4,5) - I can accept that at the outer limits of level 7 efficiency is more or less gone out the window and you're just pushing the envelope hard for a short time. And lastly, well, I worry a bit about the long term viability of the company - I've gotten stuck in the past and once bitten twice shy (and FWIW the complete silence from Novatac regarding any new products and reports of reduced customer service...).

Buffalohump

Enlightened
If you want something small what about the BiTz? People who own one seem to like it a lot and its very small (and considerably less expensive than the Arc).

Gatsby

Enlightened
I looked at the Bitz but have held off due to the UI (comes on in medium IIRC) and the off/on twisty interface. I'm OK with a twisty of the twist for low/more for high nature or a clickie style, but the one flupic based light I have I was not fond of the multiple twist interface.

The Bitz is a very nice looking light, however, and quite compact. I might have to compromise on the interface perhaps to find something smaller that is somewhat affordable. The Arc6 is definitely a stretch and i'll be having a big clearance sale to finance one if I decide that is the right light for me.

Elmie

Enlightened
I have the Arc6 with the K2. It is considerably smaller than the HDS (I own 2) and is bright as hell. As far as effiency goes, the Arc6 on level 4 runs longer than my Lunasol 27 with a modded high. Level 4 is about the same brightness as the LS27 on high (modded to 1a).

I have had zero problems with the Arc6 as it has a switch that is pretty much fail proof. I also owned the arc4 so I shared the same pains as you did :(