Where to buy MARPAT Digital Boonies in Desert Camo

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Where to buy MARPAT Digital Boonies in Desert

Anything being sold on the open market would either be plain CADPAT or a knockoff or copy. The genuine issue MARPAT is trademarked by the USMC and features a small repetitive "Globe and Anchor" symbol and "USMC" embedded in the camo pattern as well as being IR absorbent treated material and is not available legitimately to the public (I think the Idea behind not releasing it publicly is "if you want to wear the cool uniform, ya gotta join up, Dude" ). I would be wary of your sources and make sure whomever you purchase it from is a Marine or is being supplied by a Marine if you want the authentic stuff.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened

Some of the MARPAT BDU's have been showing up at gun shows around here. Shirts $39.95 and Pants $49.95. They did have the Globe and Anchor amd USMC in the pattern. As to whether or not they were IR treated they did not say.

Pattern was woodland and no boonie hats were in sight.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm..not sure if its genuine, but the ebay auction did say MARPAT. Eithe way I just want a boonie hat with the digital pattern.

GeoffChan

Enlightened

Tom, you know i have first dibbs on thoses boonies.

V8toyotatrk, whats the auction number on ebay?

Geoff

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

If anyone finds a source for the genuine boonie hats, I too would like to know.

I'm somewhat close to Camp Pendleton and I'm thinking that some surplus dealer must have them.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had no idea these were so hard to find, maybe that explains the high price over the other boonies. Geoffchan, have you emailed FullMetalJacket asking them if they have Desert scheme?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have contacted the guy on ebay that sold them. I don't know the price yet but he asked me to get the number of people who are interested in the Desert boonie. If you are list how many you want and what size. You can contact him directly at [email protected]. Maybe a more knowledgeable member can see if these are the real deal or not, but the last one he sold seems to be genuine.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Supposedly the black EGA symbol is supposed to be micro-embroidered onto all the uniform elements not silkscreened and Jackets should have a MARPAT tape with US Marines or US Navy (for corpsman an other Navy personnel attached to Marine forces) embroidered on it and pre-attached to the Jacket above the left breast. As far as I have seen you should also be able to find the EGA and USMC "embedded" or hidden all over the Camo Pattern.

Geoff the covers should all feature the EGA, here's a link to the uniform code for the USMC...

MARPAT uniform features and code

Hope this helps.

Tombeis

Enlightened

Geoff:

If I find them, you got 'em.

Everybody: If you are close to a military base and/or have a friend in the service. They can buy them at much better prices then ebay or surplus stores.

The problem has been that boonie hats are in short supply due to so many troops being deployed.

GeoffChan

Enlightened

Fullmetaljacket got back to me and they don't have any in desert /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Geoff

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two full sets of BDUs on the way to me. They are in the desert pattern. I may be able to get more boonie hats.
It's good to have a son at a Marine base.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the ones sold on E-bay are (illegal since the pattern is copyrighted by the USMC) copies. It's hard enough for Marines to get thse in some places. Look at the number of Marines still wearing the old woodland BDU's in Iraq. There has been an auction or two that I've seen that I'm pretty sure were selling hte authentic item, but it seemed as if it were being sold by a Marine. Of course he or she is risking jail time I'm sure.
There was an article in I think the Army Times (probably originally in the Navy or Marine Times) about how there were tons of fakes being sold, and had a list of some things to look for to differenciate between the real and counterfeits.

Empath

Flashaholic

It's just a side point, but the USMC can't copyright a pattern. The only copyright on government works is data, secured on behalf of the United States by the Secretary of Commerce. All other copyrights held by a Governmental Department is a copyright granted or given by the rightful holder. The basic rule of thumb is, if it's a government work, it can't be patented, trademarked or copyrighted. The government work is in the public domain (with very few exceptions, such as the Secretary of Commerce ability). For protection of symbols, patterns, or whatever, the government must make use of specific laws, such as making it illegal to impersonate (through use of a document image), counterfeiting laws and such.

Interesting, no?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can the manufacturer copyright the pattern? The MARPAT is made by a private company.
BTW, my son told me the PX at Camp Lejeune has lots of desert camo but they are low on the green camo.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Company that developed MARPAT and manufactures it exclusively for the USMC has trademarked it as a USMC exclusive and it is not available for sale to non-govt. venues so they are either counterfeits or they are purchased on base for sale off base. The MARPAT uniform is being used as a PR scheme to boost enlistments (go by any Marine Recruitment office and you'll likely see a MARPAT uniform hanging somewhere near the window).