4AA dorcy LED 180 lumen cyber light

fishx65

Enlightened
This one does look pretty cool! I guess durability on this one depends on how nice the plastic is. Love the 4AA format! Home Depot carried a line of similar work lights but I can't remember who made them. I would guess this Dorcy is using an XRE Cree. We do have a discount code for Dorcydirect: "CANDLE".

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I like the feel of plastic lights in the winter you don't have to wear gloves when they are left out in the cold. 180 lumens sounds like a Q4 cree perhaps?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
180 lumens, 5hr runtime... sounds like it might be the K2.
BrightGuy has a picture of the business end, and it's an XR-E.

From the beam description there, maybe this is the SL ProPoly 4AA Luxeon replacement a lot of us have been waiting for?

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
From the beam description there, maybe this is the SL ProPoly 4AA Luxeon replacement a lot of us have been waiting for?
That would be welcome! But the reflector on the Dorcy looks quite shallow. Not like that deep, beautiful reflector on the SL PP that creates that pin point of a hot spot. Still, even with a more shallow reflector, more lumens certainly helps!

apontes

Newly Enlightened
BrightGuy has a picture of the business end, and it's and XR-E.

Hmm... That body shape seems awkward.

I know some people like it, but these days I cannot consider a LED light without a decent, long-running low mode.

On the bright side, its cheap.

Barthbill

Newly Enlightened
maybe this is the SL ProPoly 4AA Luxeon replacement a lot of us have been waiting for?

I dunno..........Streamlight has a forever warranty, and Dorcy lights have always had short lives for me. Often shorter than their warranty period. It would follow that a longer warranty period would cause the manufacturer to build in better quality and longevity. I ended up throwing away every Dorcy that failed, as I don't need a light I have no confidence in.

I try to buy quality and reliability in flashlights. A lot could depend on it.

But, I'm still interested. :)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
looks like brightguy and dorcy are about the same price after shipping and discounts they are both in the $23 price range but you get a free keychain light from the dorcy store. I think this cyber light would be a good car light it looks like it can take a beating and be good to handle in the weather. I wonder if it has an up to date emitter or if it could be upgraded considerably

p moore

Newly Enlightened
there was someone selling one for cheap in the marketplace but I suddenly found myself with a lot more bills to pay.

I bought that one. I must say, It is not bad. It has good throw. It will spot 50yards under the highbay lights here at work. It is ringy, but for work, it will be fine. It is not regulated, only uses a resistor. I may add a little to the heatsink. I may sputter the reflector also. However, for the price, it would make a good glovebox/nightstand light. BTW, the plastic body IS sturdy.

Paul

rumme

Newly Enlightened
For the same price, the Terralux 220 is rated at 220 lumens, and not as cheaply built.

Oh, and it only uses 2 AA batteries.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last dorcy I bought was bright enough, but had a terrible purple tint.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the same price, the Terralux 220 is rated at 220 lumens, and not as cheaply built.

Oh, and it only uses 2 AA batteries.

Apples and oranges. After all, the Terralux only has 2AA. And a tiny reflector compared to the Dorcy.